Anyone ever get the leather grips off?

Lost

I was going to experiment with the hydraulic brakes that I got on ebay, but got stymied when I went to take off the leather grips. Could barely spin them, and certainly could not pull them off. In addition, I wonder if I loosen them they will be annoying always loose?
Anyway, whose done it? :)

i took mine off but dont remember if i did or had the shop do it
i swapped mine out for ergon grips

I was going to experiment with the hydraulic brakes that I got on ebay, but got stymied when I went to take off the leather grips. Could barely spin them, and certainly could not pull them off. In addition, I wonder if I loosen them they will be annoying always loose?
Anyway, whose done it? :)
Lost,
I found that using a hand held hair dryer to warm up and expand the grip works a treat

I took off one to install the thumb throttle (turns out I didn't need to). It can be done with brute force with a little help from pliers to help twist at first. Goes right back on with a rubber mallet.

I used water. Inject water underneath using one of those injectors people use for filling inkjet cartridges. It doesn't damage the grips because it's rubber under the leather. I've seen people recommend using compress air also.

Wedge a very small screwdriver between the grip and handlebar and work in a moderate amount of rubbing alcohol. It will quickly slip right off. Super easy. Splash a bit of the alcohol inside the grip right before so it will easily slip back on. Position and let dry for awhile. The beauty of the alcohol is that is provides lubrication when wet, but once it quickly dries it helps the grip adhere. If your paranoid about the leather grips, apply some leather conditioner afterwards.

Use a compressor with an air nozzle and put the nozzle tip between the handlebar and the grip on the stem side of the bar. use about 100# of air pressure. The air will get between the grip and the bar letting you pull the grip right off. You might have to use a small screwdriver, to lift the inside lip of the grip from the bar, to get the air started under the grip.

For installing grips, Aqua net hair spray works great. Just spray the bar and the inside of the grip and slide it on. When the hair spray dries the grip will be locked on. You can still remove it with an air hose if needed. The whole process only takes less than 1 minute per side. Hope this helps!

They are a HUGE pain in the butt to remove.

I took the black grips off the black rover and put them on the white. And the tan grips on the white rover onto the black. It was work. For sure.

Back