Anyone dropped the battery?

Durukan Devrim

Hi. I dropped my frame mounted Powerpack 500 battery as I was riding downhill yesterday. Somehow it came loose and hit the ground hard. Plastic housing scratched pretty bad but battery stayed intact. It seems to be working fine, I haven't noticed any performance difference but I'm not sure if it's damaged inside. Is it built to take this kind of impact? I should mention that I can't go to a certified service centre to get it checked because there is none close to where I live. I desperately need some reassurance:) Cheers...

Hi Durukan, I bought my Trek xm700 with 200 miles on it. It had been used as a demo at the bike shop, and obviously the battery had been dropped a number of times. It was nicked up considerably. But even with all those scratches it worked just fine. Since then then I've put on about 2,000 sweet miles. No problems whatsoever. These batteries are obviously very sturdy. I wouldn't worry about it. Just enjoy your bike!

Hi Durukan, I bought my Trek xm700 with 200 miles on it. It had been used as a demo at the bike shop, and obviously the battery had been dropped a number of times. It was nicked up considerably. But even with all those scratches it worked just fine. Since then then I've put on about 2,000 sweet miles. No problems whatsoever. These batteries are obviously very sturdy. I wouldn't worry about it. Just enjoy your bike!
I certainly hope you're right but droping on the floor is one thing and droping as you're doing 30+ mph on gravel is another. Scratched might be an understatement in my situation though. There are some serious dents on plastic one of which almost revealed the insides of battery. Upon further research I found out that if there's a malfunction 2nd and 4th LEDs would flash. Let's hope for the best.

Good catch on the flashing LED's signal of malfunction--I'm glad you mentioned that. When I bought my bike, the battery case had some deep scratches. It looked pretty bad actually, and had clearly fallen off the bike when being ridden. Maybe more than once. However, as I said, the battery hasperformed just fine over 2000 miles and is going strong.

I bought a neoprene cover for the battery, mostly to hide the ugly gouges in the case. This cover also keep the battery warmer when the weather is cold. Click here to see it on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Fahrer-Bosch...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=P67JK3ZRKJ4KQRYEJRAA

Take care....

Check your mounting point where the battery click into place. My got loose after 2000 miles. You'll need a small torx to undo the plastic cover then a larger one to adjust the lock mechanism. I can't remember what size, but it's pretty easy.

Any damage should reveal itself pretty quickly. Have you hooked up the charger yet? I would place a call to where you bought it, and get a phone number for Bosch technical support before I would plug in the charger. They do have an email contact on their website.
https://www.bosch-ebike.com/us-en/service/contact/
I've already contacted Bosch. I think it'll be fine. This is their answer:

Dear Durukan.

Thank you for contacting us.

The battery is designed to take an impact like this yes, but it might have caused some internal damage that will effect the battery later on...

If the battery seems to work fine and behaves normal, then there would be no need to worry.

Best regards William

Your Bosch eBike team

Robert Bosch GmbH

I would not charge unattended, but regardless of a drop, I never charg3 7nattended unless in my ammo can latched with gasket removed. I call it especially important with a dropped battery.

Thankfully, It charged just fine. No decrease in range or anything either. It was probably the hardest impact that this battery would ever get in its life time unless someone intentionally wanted to damage it. Good job Bosch.

Back