Anybody tried out the GX yet?

seinberg

Curious for feedback if anybody's test rode, purchased, or taken it for a longer spin than around the block at the bike shop. I'm considering it.

Specifically, I'm curious about the range and how perfect conditions need to be to actually get the claimed 40 miles. I'll have a ~20 mi commute round trip, with the return leg at the end being a pretty steep hill that's about ~1/2 mile-3/4 mile long. I'm concerned that the GX won't get me the full round trip with meaningful assist. There shouldn't be a whole lot of stop and go, at least, since it's along a protected bike path for about 9 1/2 of the 10 mile ride.

Yes I have, in fact I bought one. I have it set so that I have to contribute 150 watts before the motor kicks in and I need to put out 350 to get max motor assist.
This results in a real world (for me) range of at least 50 miles. I think by being even more careful over the settings I could get a fair bit more.
I've created my own profiles in the app, for example:

Localfast: Motor comes on almost immediately and requires only a little effort to get max assist (it's called local, so I don't care about range for this profile)
MaxRange: Sort of like an eco setting but tailored for me

You get the idea, note this is in the UK, so max assisted speed is 15.5mph.

I'm a regular and lifelong cyclist doing roughly 8000 miles a year on a conventional bike, the GoCycle is purely to partly remove the need for local trips by car.
It's revelation for me to be able to fold the bike outside the door of a supermarket here in the UK and go in for my stuff, same for buses and trains.
Wish I had bought a folder years ago now!

Any more questions, ask away.

Yes I have, in fact I bought one. I have it set so that I have to contribute 150 watts before the motor kicks in and I need to put out 350 to get max motor assist.
This results in a real world (for me) range of at least 50 miles. I think by being even more careful over the settings I could get a fair bit more.

Localfast: Motor comes on almost immediately and requires only a little effort to get max assist (it's called local, so I don't care about range for this profile)

I'm a regular and lifelong cyclist doing roughly 8000 miles a year on a conventional bike, the GoCycle is purely to partly remove the need for local trips by car.
It's revelation for me to be able to fold the bike outside the door of a supermarket here in the UK and go in for my stuff, same for buses and trains.

Thanks for your note! That's great info, thanks. Turns out I bought one as well, and have been riding it quite a bit in NYC (where I live) and surrounding regions in the Northeast of the US (Boston, DC, various places in Pennsylvania, etc.). I've got somewhere around 500 miles on it so far. I don't see nearly the range you see, even with relatively mild settings requiring more human power, but I'm using the North American firmware where it assists up to 20mph and I'm largely riding at 18-20mph, so it's to be expected. I've got a lot more thoughts that I want to put into a user review soon - just need to find the time.

Yes there's a big difference in required power to go from 15.5mph to 20mph. Imagine the effort on a road bike (not electric) to sustain 20mph instead of 15.5mph!

I do have a question, do US variants of Gocycles have an actual different motor (500w vs 250w for Europe), or is the limitation all in software?

Yes there's a big difference in required power to go from 15.5mph to 20mph. Imagine the effort on a road bike (not electric) to sustain 20mph instead of 15.5mph!

I do have a question, do US variants of Gocycles have an actual different motor (500w vs 250w for Europe), or is the limitation all in software?

I believe it's a physically identical bike, just different firmware. You should be able to update the firmware by uninstalling and reinstalling the app on your phone and going thru the setup again. Then select the NA firmware. I once accidentally selected the EU firmware and was frustrated by the speed :)

Thanks, I'll keep it on stock firmware but it's good to know the hardware isn't inferior :)

I notice the GXi has been announced today, has a 375watt battery now, it would be great if the GXi battery can be bought as a spare if it fits the GX 🤔

It's been confirmed to me that the new GXi battery will fit the GX, not available to buy today, but will be once production starts later in the year.
I'll definitely be buying if it's roughly the same price as their other batteries.

Incidentally, have you had any issues with your shifters? Mine have started acting weird -- sometimes the actual gear I'm in doesn't match what the shifter window indicates. E.g. sometimes it'll say is between 2nd and 3rd, but is in fact solidly in one of the gears. And so on.

Curious for feedback if anybody's test rode, purchased, or taken it for a longer spin than around the block at the bike shop. I'm considering it.
Had mine now for about a month. I do about a 7.5 mile ride to work in from Wimbledon to Holborn.Using the button for most of the journey .Which uses about half of the battery.Runing lights on my way home.
I must say I think the gx is a brilliant bike and so happy with it.
I have the usual problems that a few Alan keys quickly sorted out.
Also had a problem with the stand but between fully charged and go cycle was quickly sorted.
Get one you’re love it and when your not using it fold it up and stick under the stairs.
Thanks Brian

Wow, that's great news. Should extend the range a good bit. It's what, an additional 100kw?

It adds 75wh, which is roughly a 25% increase, or 15 miles roughly (in my case).
But of course if you buy one, you'll now have 2 batteries, and they aren't *that* heavy to carry a second in a rucksack for longer journeys.

I needed to ride into Liverpool (UK) today, did all I needed to do but I experienced the GoCycle effect. I was stopped by 2 people who wanted to know all about it, one guy had already done research and was amazed to have seen on in 'the flesh' so to speak, as he knew they are relatively scarce. There's something about this bike that attracts people, I never experience this when riding my other bikes, some of which cost more than the Gocycle. Love this bike, but I would like to be able to change the Nexus cog to a 16t if possible, something to research.

I have a gs. When I break it doe
Thanks for your note! That's great info, thanks. Turns out I bought one as well, and have been riding it quite a bit in NYC (where I live) and surrounding regions in the Northeast of the US (Boston, DC, various places in Pennsylvania, etc.). I've got somewhere around 500 miles on it so far. I don't see nearly the range you see, even with relatively mild settings requiring more human power, but I'm using the North American firmware where it assists up to 20mph and I'm largely riding at 18-20mph, so it's to be expected. I've got a lot more thoughts that I want to put into a user review soon - just need to find the time.
i have a gs. When I take of the wheels and fold it, it easily fits into the incredibly small trunk of my 2004 two seater thunderbird. From the videos I’ve watched it doesn’t look like the go wheels are easily removed to store or to fix a flat. Am I correct in that assumption?

You don't need to remove the wheel to fix a flat on any model Gocycle, that's one of the benefits. On the GX the wheels are attached by (I think) 6 bolts, but as the bike fully folds there is no need to remove the wheels.

Hi all, it's great to see that you are enjoying the GX! Conrad from Gocycle here - feel free to ask me any questions, more than happy to help. Thanks

How has it been on the hills? I think I'm going to test one this weekend. I'm in San Francisco, so hills will be unavoidable!

Do you guys think the GXi would be worth it?

Detailed comparison here, reveals some things that even Gocycle's website doesn't do a great job of highlighting.

It's entirely up to you if the additional range and features are worth it. The thing I'd want the most is the adjustable handlebar height of the GXi.

Detailed comparison here, reveals some things that even Gocycle's website doesn't do a great job of highlighting.

It's entirely up to you if the additional range and features are worth it. The thing I'd want the most is the adjustable handlebar height of the GXi.

Hmmmm, handle bar adjustment is definitely welcome. But the electronic predictive shifting also seems like it might make for a much better experience, and a nicer saddle. it would be around £550 pounds more for me over the GX.

Really want a Gocylce just wondering if the price tag is worth it, I can get 32% of though, with a cycle to work scheme, so that softens the blow. Honestly, thats the only way I'd consider it. Think I'm ready to pull the trigger finally.

Back