Any Trekkers using a spare battery to extend your range and hows it working?

Dallant

Region
USA
My Allant+7 has the 500 battery and I am pondering getting a second battery to use as a spare. May be a stupid question but I am curious if this will just fit into the battery holder without the outside casing?

Not what I had in mind though my Allant+7 is capable of it. I wanted to get another 500 battery but am not sure it can work w/o the “casing”.

So I just got off the phone with Trek Corporate and was informed that the PowerTube 500 battery comes ready to go and lock into the battery compartment. It does not require the decorative body casing, though you can buy one from Trek for about $90.00.

yeah but you still need the plastic bits (handle and stuff) on each end of the battery. just buying a PT500 won't get you that...you gotta get extra parts!

yeah but you still need the plastic bits (handle and stuff) on each end of the battery. just buying a PT500 won't get you that...you gotta get extra parts!
I think the color matched down tube cover that's attached to the 625 battery can be removed when unscrewed from the battery.

Last edited:
Yes, the cover is a separate piece. The 625 won’t fit my bike. The 500 does.

Are you talking about the body colored piece that says " trek" on it?

Or are you talking about the black case that holds the extra second battery when optioned for the range extender?

“So I just got off the phone with Trek Corporate and was informed that the PowerTube 500 battery comes ready to go and lock into the battery compartment. It does not require the decorative body casing, though you can buy one from Trek for about $90.00.“
All I said was to read the whole thread vs me repeating what was already said. And who’s being nasty?
I saw nothing of help. Next time I’ll have to draw you pictures.

Last edited:
I didn't realize the 625 wouldn't fit our bikes. I would like to get another battery for next year, I do not want the one that sits on top, though I am sure it would be more convenient. I haven't researched it much yet so thanks for the heads up.

That’s not what Trek told me.

Hmmmm...I don't mean to come off as cynical, but I'm dubious of this guidance from Trek.

If you added a 500Wh Powertube battery without the plastic spacer block and without the RIB handle, how would it lock in place? The locking mechanism engages with the RIB handle section.

I could see that it would work without the cosmetic cover plate that has the trek logo on it, but I can't possibly imagine the battery would stay in place long without engaging the locking mechanism (which requires the spacer block for the 500Wh battery and requires the RIB handle for both the 500 and 625 Wh batteries).

I would be very cautious of riding without my battery locked in place!

I suppose you could test this by removing the plate and the spacer and RIB handle from your current battery and try mounting it on the bike without those parts. But please be careful that you don't drop it or that it doesn't fall out.

I didn't realize the 625 wouldn't fit our bikes. I would like to get another battery for next year, I do not want the one that sits on top, though I am sure it would be more convenient. I haven't researched it much yet so thanks for the heads up.
I have since been told that the 625 does work. The 500 requires the spacer but the 625 doesn’t.
97F7CCEF-C36F-47DE-857E-2FDD6C5F4E51.jpeg

Hmmmm...I don't mean to come off as cynical, but I'm dubious of this guidance from Trek.

If you added a 500Wh Powertube battery without the plastic spacer block and without the RIB handle, how would it lock in place? The locking mechanism engages with the RIB handle section.

I could see that it would work without the cosmetic cover plate that has the trek logo on it, but I can't possibly imagine the battery would stay in place long without engaging the locking mechanism (which requires the spacer block for the 500Wh battery and requires the RIB handle for both the 500 and 625 Wh batteries).

I would be very cautious of riding without my battery locked in place!

I suppose you could test this by removing the plate and the spacer and RIB handle from your current battery and try mounting it on the bike without those parts. But please be careful that you don't drop it or that it doesn't fall out.
You are right. The handle is a separate piece from the spacer and is required to lock the battery in place.

Great, it will be next year for me but if I'm going to buy one might as well get the bigger one! Thank you for the update.
I just ordered everything. I’ll let you all know how it all works.😳
I’m told it will take a month at least. FYI, my Trek dealer ordered:
  • Bosch Powertube 625 US ebike battery, vertical
  • Battery part Trek Allant+ RIB 625 cover gloss Nautical Navy
  • Ebike part Powertube battery hardware kit
  • Ebike part Powertube battery lower bracket
  • Ebike part Trek Bosch Powertube battery handle

I just ordered everything. I’ll let you all know how it all works.😳
I’m told it will take a month at least. FYI, my Trek dealer ordered:
  • Bosch Powertube 625 US ebike battery, vertical
  • Battery part Trek Allant+ RIB 625 cover gloss Nautical Navy
  • Ebike part Powertube battery hardware kit
  • Ebike part Powertube battery lower bracket
  • Ebike part Trek Bosch Powertube battery handle
what is the hardware kit?

edit: nvm, I remembered to purchase the hardware kit too thankfully. Not pictured is my extra trek battery cover and extra battery.

Attachments

• DCE1D0D1-2335-48BF-9E16-D99E8EF2731A.jpeg
    DCE1D0D1-2335-48BF-9E16-D99E8EF2731A.jpeg
    283.1 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
Back