Any Bassists, Guitarists, Drummers, Keyboard Players Here?

I am last violinist in our community orchestra during Fall, Winter and early Spring. Then I switch to Fiddle and try to play old time and am currently working on Celtic. I'm not very good. I started playing after retiring and did not/do not take lessons. I already knew how to read music from being a high school/college bassoonist. Bassoons are too expensive so I went for the fiddle and it is so much fun to play. I can play by ear or by reading music. I never could play bassoon by ear.

Our orchestra is an Anybody Can Join type and is geared more to having fun together. Nobody much comes to our concerts. In fact, a major portion of the audience leaves after the choir is done performing. But it has improved my fiddling.

I just started learning Ukulele and a group of players had just started to meet once a week to play together when the virus stuff began......Dammmit. I can fit both my fiddle and ukulele in my home made bike panniers. There, I've worked bike stuff into this thread. After playing ukes, we'd switch to playing Celtic music and I'd get out my fiddle.

DSC01014.JPG

I already knew how to read music from being a high school/college bassoonist. Bassoons are too expensive so I went for the fiddle and it is so much fun to play.
Yeah, I studied & practiced and made last chair bassoon Tx All State Band 1968. Had 230 offers to apply from college music schools, owned no bassoon. Had a chance to buy a Heckel at their factory 1982 for $4400 , had just bought a Sohmer piano, so turned it down. Stupid, they are $30000 now, Sohmer pianos are $200. Haven't touched a working bassoon since the town band in Ft. Morgan CO loaned me one summer 1972. They looked up Hall of the Mountain King for me, a real thrill. Bought a Conn hulk off craigslist 8 years ago, the butt is rotted from player never cleaning it. Also bocal is missing. Oh well, the amateur band here is not worth the time, I can't stand hearing people out of tune. Reminds me of 6th grade and Danny Boy. Horrors.
People will sing with me on piano in church, but nobody plays with piano. Last acoustic piano on stage I saw was Kid Rock at Graceland on PBS about 12 years ago. Maybe Lynyrd Skynyrd on Soundstage, but I think they had electric keyboard at the Yum Center last year.

I am the king of noodling. Drive my poor wife nuts. My favorite guitars are my Republic Tri Cone Clarkdale, my Gretsch Corvette and an Epi 1959 ltd edition Les Paul in Faded Ice Tea. As for bass guitars.. My SRF700 Ibanez Fretless and Hofner Viola bass (ignition) and Last but not Least my Recording King P-90 Lap Steel.

I am pretty much a Blues guy but do like "new grass". I live outside Asheville in the summer so WNCW is the music of the area. My Clarksdale Tri-cone is the one in my Avitar

Hi folks, I’m a newbie here but been a guitar player for about 40 years. Here’s my old band Medicine Hat from back in 95, I’m the blonde guy driving the car :) My new band is called “Dirty Lions“ and we just released our second album “Last Time” on digital networks.

I've just recollected when I and friends played the most crappy punk-rock song ever ("Sex & Violence" by The Exploited) in a rehearsal. Actually, we played it at a gig once (exactly 6 years ago). The audience at the Poland's East border were drunk and delighted :D (I typically play with the pick but played this specific song with my fingers).

I played a German Sandberg bass at those times.

Shame you've got me blocked you might learn something here.

I'm a FOH/Monitor engineer, the reason i have a folding bike is so it can live in a flight case on tour and not get crushed like my last one. heh.

Hi folks, I’m a newbie here but been a guitar player for about 40 years. Here’s my old band Medicine Hat from back in 95, I’m the blonde guy driving the car :) My new band is called “Dirty Lions“ and we just released our second album “Last Time” on digital networks.

I saw the name and thought that sounds familiar, then i saw youre a UK band, i'm pretty sure i've mixed you in some random place, i'm not sure where, it might come to me, for some reason bulldog bash is coming to mind.

Back