Any Bassists, Guitarists, Drummers, Keyboard Players Here?

Teach guitar and 5-string Banjo. Have for 40 years. Played with some famous folks back in the day. Last gig was New years eve.
Here's a pic of playing with Bo Diddley back in the 80's. More recent pics included.

Attachments

• BD2.jpg
    BD2.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 264
  • 2019-07-08 23.26.44.jpg
    2019-07-08 23.26.44.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 250
  • Rick.jpg
    Rick.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 246
Former long-time bass player here.
Instruments: Alembic Stanley Clarke custom, Jaydee Mark King bass, Status Graphite, Steinberger.
I can’t play anymore, arthritis makes it very painful to try, but I still love to watch great players!

A Gem From The Past

In 1966, Paul Revere and The Raiders released their "(I'm Not Your) Stepping Stone" (later covered by The Monkees). In the same year, Stephanie Lawson, Joan Breitenbach Allen, Frank Conti and Doug Jones met at Conti's basement in Queens, NY. They also covered that song.

On December 8th, 2020, one Stefan Mikes recorded the (previously inaudible) bass line for that very cover.

Enjoy!

What instruments do you play? Describe your gear and the genre you play!
Given a fake book of Christmas music I can bash out a simple melody and three finger chords for a handful of seasonal carols and songs on a piano. When I was ten I played violin badly, thirty years later I picked up a mandolin for the first time and was surprised to discover the fret board and tuning was the same as a violin and after an hour I could just about pick out the melody of London’s Burning, yep I’m still crap

Last edited:
New Cross is near where I lived 20 years ago just off the Greenwich High Road.
Indeed, not that far. Just past Deptford. If you happen to visit Southern London in the future, I know a fantastic place for the Full English :)

@David Berry: I'd like to show you here what VSDC Free Video Editor can do:

Three video streams in a single movie!

@Art Deco: Now (4/19/2021) I thought of your hatred of Facebook ;)

Last edited:
Hi, I've played guitar for a little over 30 years. I love (and play) everything from Classical and Flamenco, Blues Rock and Country, to Slayer, Megadeth or the Beatles. I'm just a big fan of guitar and like pretty much any music that has guitar in it.

Played professionally for about 15 years but I "retired" when I got to mid-30's and realized I was tired of doing the starving artist thing. It's a fun lifestyle but it didn't do a fantastic job of paying the bills and having money left over for savings.

I still play all the time though but I do it for fun... for my kids and wife,... and for my Cat,.. (who is the harshest critic!)

Guitar, vocals, and drums here.
Here's some shots from our band playing outside our studio last year in Aug/Sept.

Also I'm a huge Paul Reed Smith guitar toady...

nice, the flame maple looks really nice in the sunlight.

I like and own: Les Paul, SG, Tele, Strat, Ibanez RG 550, Jackson King V, Gretsch Electromagnetic, and Charvel San Dimas. (and a John Lennon style Epiphone acoustic/electric)

For Amps I really like Fenders and Marshalls, and I have a couple custom amps built by a guy in Maine who builds incredible amps by hand.

nice, the flame maple looks really nice in the sunlight.

I like and own: Les Paul, SG, Tele, Strat, Ibanez RG 550, Jackson King V, Gretsch Electromagnetic, and Charvel San Dimas. (and a John Lennon style Epiphone acoustic/electric)

For Amps I really like Fenders and Marshalls, and I have a couple custom amps built by a guy in Maine who builds incredible amps by hand.
Nice!
I went Kemper around 4 years ago.

The grunge explosion in the 90’s got me interested in playing music. It started with the drums. I had a pretty large kit with 2 hats and double bass pedals. I only played for maybe 6 years before I had to sell my kit. I moved into an apartment and could no longer had a place to keep them.

My younger brother was taking bass lessons. He would be out with his friends and I’d look at his lessons and borrow his bass. I’d play the bass along with the radio to figure out how things went together.

Primus was a great inspiration. Les claypool is fun to listen to. Kind of how I came up with my username. I’ve been playing bass now for about 25 years. Just as a hobby and not with a band. I’ll use GarageBand (yes drum machines DO have no soul) to keep time. I’ll also play along with albums from The Deftones, Primus, RATM, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Nirvana.

I have 4 basses, a homemade 4 string fretless that I got at starving musician, a 6 string Sammick custom bass (it was pretty rusty when I got it), a 5 string squire (my wife got it for me as a wedding gift), and a 4 string Ibanez (my wife got this for my when we moved in together and I’ve had this one the longest). I play through a Crate amp that I got free when I got my first bass.

I love the Ibanez, the neck is so smooth. I really liked playing the drums. I’d play all the time, in the garage. It’s be 100 degrees outside and I’d be in the garage for hours playing. My mom liked it, because she knew where I was. Those were the days. Lol

Back