Anti-theft Measure - Bait Bikes in SF

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
I thought it was a brilliant idea. Very relevant to ebikes as well. SF police department has been using few bikes equipped with GPS as "bait bikes" to catch thieves and reduce bike thefts. This has reduced the number of bike thefts and I think this needs to spread out.

I am always paranoid about leaving my bike in public and when I am on University campus, I leave it parked in a remote corner of a lab.

Some stickers related to this topic and I would like to put one on my bike as well.

bait-bike-sticker1.jpg

Source: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/rise-in-san-francisco-bike-theft-leads-to-bait-bikes/

Thanks for sharing the story. Just a heads-up but, the CBS link is not working :(

Andrew

That's pretty awesome. I live in the nicer part of Los Angeles and bikes here still have a VERY HIGH theft rate, even in gated garages and chained up. Ridiculous.

Bike stealing is a huge business with low risk... Most of the time it is just simple theft. I've gotten way too complacent where I live in Miami Dade, and usually don't even lock my bike.. Better start now!

Half the time if I'm visiting someone at a hospital or going into a store, I just walk my bike into the store and leave it in front of the cashier... No one has told me no,,,yet.

Bike stealing is a huge business with low risk... Most of the time it is just simple theft. I've gotten way too complacent where I live in Miami Dade, and usually don't even lock my bike.. Better start now!

Half the time if I'm visiting someone at a hospital or going into a store, I just walk my bike into the store and leave it in front of the cashier... No one has told me no,,,yet.
I do similar things... Many times if I'm eating or getting a smoothie I'll just lean my bike up against the front of the store and glance at it through the window every few minutes. I buckle my helmet through the front spokes which would slow a thief down (the bike is too heavy to lift easily thanks to the motor/battery) and if I did see a potential thief trying to run off with it's I'd chase them down and execute a flying jump kick while yelling "Bicycle Thief!!!"

Now... I'm sure there are individuals with vans who might just pull up and try to lift it in but I've got a smart phone with a camera and often times I leave the bike further off from the parking lot. No system is perfect but I'm also planning get some bicycle insurance (mostly for liability) and with a $100 deductible it wouldn't be the end of the world if they did get away.

Court, I agree, I would want insurance too with an expensive bike. Hope you get some soon --and then review for us ;-)

Based on a hundred hours of reading up on chains and u-locks, I have found a certain level of confidence in ratings at SoldSecure.Com out of the UK, which also evaulates American products. I do not live in a high-crime area so I am lucky but here is my take on bikes. Lock them at all times unless they are next to your bed. Plenty of opportunists shop at Walgreens. Everyone here is riding a motorized bike so for most of us, a six-pound chain evaluated as Gold by SoldSecure can add a bit of reassurance that your bike is safe. Any lock or chain can be cut some how, but there are too many people that lock their bikes with lousy Wally locks for a thief to want to mess with a SoldSecure rated lock. I have seen videos of some of these locks/chains standing up to .357 rounds and being used for towing military tanks. Even someone with an angle grinder knows that there is something easier somewhere else, especially since they generally know how much pawn shop owners are going to give them for a bike anyway. Yeah... twenty bucks is about right. Also... the vast majority of pros know that a bike over a thousand dollars is a felony theft in most states. Outside of San Francisco, please do yourself a favor and refrain from using a clever sticker. You may get your bike stolen just because the thief wants to call your bluff. You might as well get one of those stickers that says, "This bike is protected by this sticker." Instead, find ways to make your bike less desirable for a thief. Perhaps you don't need to deck it out in a whole roll of duct tape like a New Yorker but a ten dollar engraving pen from Amazon will give you a chance to engrave your name, number, email, some silly registration number you made up, your girlfriends name with a heart around it, etc. Thieves don't want to show up at a pawn shop with a bike like that. I have done a ton review research on u-locks and chains if you are on the market for them. I am ordering next month.

@Court

I would be interested in reading some VeloInsurance testimonials. Insurance is worth a lot less if it is a pain to claim. A basic plug in of my numbers shows that my $1500 flyer will cost about $115 a year. I am wondering what veteran bike owners say about insurance. If one had a $1500 bike, how many years would they be willing to cover a bike like this at this rate? Until they have paid half of what is is worth in insurance? All of what it is worth in insurance? Thirty years of insurance? Now I am being facetious... or am I?

Based on a hundred hours of reading up on chains and u-locks, I have found a certain level of confidence in ratings at SoldSecure.Com out of the UK, which also evaulates American products. I do not live in a high-crime area so I am lucky but here is my take on bikes. Lock them at all times unless they are next to your bed. Plenty of opportunists shop at Walgreens. Everyone here is riding a motorized bike so for most of us, a six-pound chain evaluated as Gold by SoldSecure can add a bit of reassurance that your bike is safe. Any lock or chain can be cut some how, but there are too many people that lock their bikes with lousy Wally locks for a thief to want to mess with a SoldSecure rated lock. I have seen videos of some of these locks/chains standing up to .357 rounds and being used for towing military tanks. Even someone with an angle grinder knows that there is something easier somewhere else, especially since they generally know how much pawn shop owners are going to give them for a bike anyway. Yeah... twenty bucks is about right. Also... the vast majority of pros know that a bike over a thousand dollars is a felony theft in most states. Outside of San Francisco, please do yourself a favor and refrain from using a clever sticker. You may get your bike stolen just because the thief wants to call your bluff. You might as well get one of those stickers that says, "This bike is protected by this sticker." Instead, find ways to make your bike less desirable for a thief. Perhaps you don't need to deck it out in a whole roll of duct tape like a New Yorker but a ten dollar engraving pen from Amazon will give you a chance to engrave your name, number, email, some silly registration number you made up, your girlfriends name with a heart around it, etc. Thieves don't want to show up at a pawn shop with a bike like that. I have done a ton review research on u-locks and chains if you are on the market for them. I am ordering next month.
Sounds good but I don't want a six lb lock for my 20 lb bike. Any lightweight suggestions?

Sounds good but I don't want a six lb lock for my 20 lb bike. Any lightweight suggestions?

What is it that you are running that only weighs 20lbs again? My lightweighter weighs 40lbs. Plenty of big city Schwinn riders are strapping those 15 pounders over their shoulders or around their waists. To answer your question @JoePah, I read an excellent article for you that I will link below. The real bike kleptos want little to do with u-locks when they can snip something outside of the college dorms with a pair of Fiskars and roll away on it. The Kryptonite Evolution Series 2 seems to be the lightest, high-percentage security that a thief would prefer not to mess with. Here is a link for it. (For the record, I am purchasing something a level higher. It probably doesn't make too much of a difference but it is just a bit more comfortable for me. For you and a 20 lb whip, I can agree that the weight is a factor.)

http://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-Kryptolok-Standard-Bicycle-FlexFrame/dp/B005YPK8G2/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1407377500&sr=1-1&keywords=kryptonite series 2

Here is a link for the article of interviews. These guys actually go out and accompany a few bike thieves of different levels and ask a lot of questions. These guys seem to like combo chains and standard padlocks, meaning Wal-Mart/Master Lock padlocks that most people buy. Kryptonite brand actually means kryptonite to these guys. You might as throw OnGuard in their too but higher end and higher priced versions.

A must read for a bike owner: http://www.tested.com/tech/458286-best-bike-lock-today/

And finally... here is what I have chosen. Two methods are better than one. The extra work annoys a bike thief that is too lazy for a real job.

http://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-Evolution-Integrated-Chain-Bicycle/dp/B007EW31R6/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1407378045&sr=1-2&keywords=kryptonite series 4 chain

http://www.amazon.com/Avenir-Tightrope-Cables-12mm-feet/dp/B00165Q9C6/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1407378095&sr=1-1&keywords=avenir 12mm

I have been told that I talk too much before. I hope this isn't overkill.

Back