ANOTHER RELUCTANT CONVERT... BUT NOT REALLY (LOL)

microfiz

Region
USA
TL/DR: Been ridiing regularly for over a decade (starting at 42). Rode XC for a couple of years, and that turned into more DH, and lately it's been a good mix of challenging trail riding (and less DH... it get's harder when you're over 50).

Anyway, last year, I rented a Giant Trance E and rode it through the tough trails of Mt Seymour (North Shore). I was really impressed with the bike (not it's ability to assist me on the way up, but how it was so easy to muscle over things that normally hang you up).

This year, with a good number of my riding pals on E-bikes now (I've counted over 2 dozen at this point), I started considering getting one but with the COVID premium, I couldn't find a suitable bike for the price range I was willing to pay. I looked at Bicycle Blue Book (where I bought my enduro bike) and found a Liv Intrigue at the price I wanted. After checking the specs and geo, it was IDENTICAL to the Trance I rode last year, so I reached out to the owner and bought it.

I did an initial ride a few days ago and aside from the crap fork (35 Gold RL which I will replace soon), it was a great doing the gnar. The 4-piston brakes were adequate but I'm changing the pads to metallic for a stronger bite point. The only bummer was that the charger is defective and now I am dealing with Giant warranty for replacement, and obviously can't use the bike (the way it was intended) until the charger is replaced.

Probably going to be active in the Giant forum trying to sort this guy out. In the meantime, Hi and happy New Year everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_3516.jpg
    IMG_3516.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_3514.jpg
    IMG_3514.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 336
Welcome to the site. Glad you found a bargain that is almost what you wanted.
North shore of what, Lake Michigan?
The state converted our abandoned railline to housing plots and trash trees, so no trails for me to ride one. On road or around my 23 acres through the grass, that is my trail options. Plenty of farm roads out near my summer camp.

Nice looking bike at first I was like scratching my head because the color and the model name and then I realized you said LIV so that's why I probably didn't recognize it. I have to take a look at it over at Giant site I'm curious about it. Hope you get your charger squared away soon. Do you do much winter riding?

found a Liv Intrigue at the price I wanted. After checking the specs and geo, it was IDENTICAL to the Trance I rode last year, so I reached out to the owner and bought it.
Liv Intrigue and Giant Trance E+ are indeed identical except the colour. @Anna rides an Intrigue.

I think that black should almost always be one of the color choices of bicycles black just works well and you can add lights,reflective tape, bright clothes and the likes if visible is a concern and of course have the other color choice be bright. Black just doesn't go out of style but, color shouldn't be why you buy but it does add to the package.

Yup... the Trance and Intrigue geometries are ALMOST identical (if you look at the website). I think there's like 0.5 degree difference in the seat tube angle, which could just be a typo (hard to imagine deliberately creating another frame jig for such a subtle change).

I used to think black was blah too... especially when it's murdered out black... lol! But I have begun appreciating how stealthy it looks. For these e-bikes, even more so. Because it's black is perhaps the tipping point for my purchase. I had a chance to buy a blue Trance E early this year for a bit cheaper than this one (well, it was pre-lockdown so) and passed because of the electric blue. If I ever wanted to liven it up, I can always apply bright decals like what Cannondale did to my enduro bike. Here's my DH bike too to reflect my OTHER preference (it does not look boring and it remains my fave bike).

Attachments

• jekyll 3.jpg
    jekyll 3.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 300
  • DHR new.jpg
    DHR new.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
Nice looking bike at first I was like scratching my head because the color and the model name and then I realized you said LIV so that's why I probably didn't recognize it. I have to take a look at it over at Giant site I'm curious about it. Hope you get your charger squared away soon. Do you do much winter riding?
Thanks! We ride all year in the Left Coast. =P

Same here just change my shoes and the bikes as well in the winter and ride the white sands of the north east.

used to think black was blah too... especially when it's murdered out black... lol! But I have begun appreciating how stealthy it looks. For these e-bikes, even more so. Because it's black is perhaps the tipping point for my purchase. I had a chance to buy a blue Trance E early this year for a bit cheaper than this one (well, it was pre-lockdown so) and passed because of the electric blue. If I ever wanted to liven it up, I can always apply bright decals like what Cannondale did to my enduro bike. Here's my DH bike too to reflect my OTHER preference (it does not look boring and it remains my fave bike).
My Trance E+ is of "chameleon black" colour but is is not black at all. The colour can be described as "insanely beautiful" :) My Vado is grey, and man, that looks stealthy! My third e-bike is black & blue. I couldn't stand just black (but different colours for different people!) :)

TL/DR: Been ridiing regularly for over a decade (starting at 42). Rode XC for a couple of years, and that turned into more DH, and lately it's been a good mix of challenging trail riding (and less DH... it get's harder when you're over 50).

Anyway, last year, I rented a Giant Trance E and rode it through the tough trails of Mt Seymour (North Shore). I was really impressed with the bike (not it's ability to assist me on the way up, but how it was so easy to muscle over things that normally hang you up).

This year, with a good number of my riding pals on E-bikes now (I've counted over 2 dozen at this point), I started considering getting one but with the COVID premium, I couldn't find a suitable bike for the price range I was willing to pay. I looked at Bicycle Blue Book (where I bought my enduro bike) and found a Liv Intrigue at the price I wanted. After checking the specs and geo, it was IDENTICAL to the Trance I rode last year, so I reached out to the owner and bought it.

I did an initial ride a few days ago and aside from the crap fork (35 Gold RL which I will replace soon), it was a great doing the gnar. The 4-piston brakes were adequate but I'm changing the pads to metallic for a stronger bite point. The only bummer was that the charger is defective and now I am dealing with Giant warranty for replacement, and obviously can't use the bike (the way it was intended) until the charger is replaced.

Probably going to be active in the Giant forum trying to sort this guy out. In the meantime, Hi and happy New Year everyone!
Nice lookin bike. How much does it weigh?

Ugh... can't leave well enough alone. Getting an Angleset and slacking it out to 65 degrees, and swapping out the 150mm pooh RL Gold with a 160mm Pike RCT3. That should make this more enduro-feeling.

The standard weight of Trance E+ or Intrigue size M with 500 Wh battery is 24 kg (52.9 lb). My Trance has the weight specified on a label.

A big welcome to you Microfiz, that’s a fine looking machine. Just curious, how comfortable is the saddle?
So it's supposed to be gender-specific for women (Liv) but honestly, I can't tell the difference. Frankly, I rode my acoustic bike a couple of days ago and found how uncomfortable that saddle was initially (WTB Silverado) when I've been riding that bike all year compared to this new e-bike.

BTW, ust installed the fork and an Angleset (1.5 deg... now the HTA is at 65 deg). Feels SO MUCH NICER compared to the crappy old fork and the stacker angle (parking lot test). For sure a mini-enduro rig.

Attachments

• IMG_3551.jpg
    IMG_3551.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_3549.jpg
    IMG_3549.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 296
Back