Another Neo Carbon Lover

Dave

Took the plunge today and ordered the EM Neo Carbon. Amirs' review among others has me convinced this ebike is a winner and will suit my riding needs perfectly. I should have it by end of week or beginning of next. Thanks to all and especially Court, Amir and Ravi for their input and advice on not only the bike, but where to find the best deals.

The review Amir did will be a tough act to follow, but I will try and add some useful info after it arrives, and it gets above freezing here in the Northeast.

Awesome Dave! That's great, super excited to hear how it works out for you. I've watched you dig in on the different brands and models. I think you'll love the Carbon and I'm excited for your hands on feedback, especially around top speed in pedal assist, how you like the controller and what you think of the ride position and the suspension setup.

Be sure to check out Magmir's post about checking the connections. He had a minor issue with his bike but seems like it was resolved.

Took the plunge today and ordered the EM Neo Carbon. Amirs' review among others has me convinced this ebike is a winner and will suit my riding needs perfectly. I should have it by end of week or beginning of next. Thanks to all and especially Court, Amir and Ravi for their input and advice on not only the bike, but where to find the best deals.

The review Amir did will be a tough act to follow, but I will try and add some useful info after it arrives, and it gets above freezing here in the Northeast.

Dave, Congratulations on the Carbon. It looks like a fantastic bike. I have really been impressed at the number of company execs that are on Court's site and so willing to jump in and help. Good for them and good for us. Enjoy your new ride.

Thanks guys, can't wait. Interesting and long discussion with Len at Lens' Electric Bikes before making the purchase. I was (am ) concerned about the possibility that the 2014 models may have a motor assist cut out at 20mph in PAS mode. He called EM HQ, called the local rep, and also talked to those he has sold 2014 models. Seems it is still not certain. The rep and the company line is that the motor stops assisting at 20mph, but continues to run. Users say the motor continues to assist past 20mph in PAS. Len would have taken a 2014 Carbon out and rode it on the spot, but it was -9 in Madison, WI. His tech also thinks the motor continues to assist, at least on the 2014 Carbon. Amir, could probably tell us for sure, assuming you can hear the motor cutting in and out. At any rate, I will find out for sure, soon enough!

Hey Chris, hi, great to see you on the community. This is a great site and you are a great resource. I've sent you a private message hoping you can see it.

L
Thanks guys, can't wait. Interesting and long discussion with Len at Lens' Electric Bikes before making the purchase. I was (am ) concerned about the possibility that the 2014 models may have a motor assist cut out at 20mph in PAS mode. He called EM HQ, called the local rep, and also talked to those he has sold 2014 models. Seems it is still not certain. The rep and the company line is that the motor stops assisting at 20mph, but continues to run. Users say the motor continues to assist past 20mph in PAS. Len would have taken a 2014 Carbon out and rode it on the spot, but it was -9 in Madison, WI. His tech also thinks the motor continues to assist, at least on the 2014 Carbon. Amir, could probably tell us for sure, assuming you can hear the motor cutting in and out. At any rate, I will find out for sure, soon enough!

The motor will continue to assist past 20mph, but it spins out at a certain RPM. I'm able to get up to 28 mph with heavy pedaling and I can generally maintain somewhere around 25 for an extended period. I'm doing some experimenting with Schlumpf drives to see what these motors can handle.

What Chris said also seems to be in line with what I've experienced. I can't wait for the weather to cooperate so I can take it out again and I'll pay more attention.

Thanks for the feedback Chris, this aligns with my own experience on Easy Motion bikes and I hope it continues with the 2014 models. Dave, I'll be excited to hear how everything works out for you :)

Court, I do know my Carbon and Magmirs' are being sold as 2014's, so it will intersting to put it to the test. I will report back as soon as I can.

Bike arrived today! I should have it up and running this evening. I am going to give it a thorough going over, everything I can think of, ....could be a long night.

Last edited:
Congrats Dave. When you're assembling it be careful not to tighten anything to tight as you could damage the carbon fiber. Ideally use a torque wrench, but if you don't have one just take it easy when tightening the seat post and the stem. There are some other precautions when handling and caring for carbon fiber, but maybe the resident expert Ravi can chime in on that.

Dave, congrats on the purchase of your new EM 2013 Carbon. For 2014, we are carrying over the Carbon unchanged. You will however be able to purchase a 12ah battery for your bike in April when the new replacement 12ah batteries will be available. Regarding PAS, motor assist should continue to around 24mph, give or take a MPH, then it's up to your strong and powerful legs to get you past there (as I think it should be, after all these are still bicycles, not motorcycles!). Also, all of the Carbon's will come with the more aggressive 2013 model year programming (my personal preference as I like power).

And to Chris's point, make sure you use an appropriate torque wrench as it is very easy to over-torque bolts and ruin a great bike, especially critical when working with carbon.

Other than that, enjoy the ride! And to those roadies (a group for which I also belong) you pass on road, remind them its' not cheating unless you are racing...Lol!

Congrats again Dave. Let us know how assembly goes and if you find any tips for your fellow Carbon owners. :)

I'm about to call Lens as Mark is going to walk me through some steps to see if we can solve the unintended acceleration issue.

Dave,
That's very exciting.
I hope your assembly was a cake walk and you were able to ride it. Share the excitement with the group :)

Congrats Dave!!! Supa cool they will have a 12amp bat for this bike in April. I hope currie does this soon for the Dash. Hope your assemble goes well….and keep us posted!

Back