An electric bike that uses Gates carbon belt drive that's not Faraday and under 5k?

Smallbiker

What are the options? The bike must be available to buy online or have good dealer base in U.S.A. Under 5K please. Thank you!

BTW I have a Gates Drive on my BMC Urban Challenge (not eBike) and the Gates Belt is FABULOUS. It just works and works. No hassle and robust. I use the bike every day for commuting and weekend runs. I love it so much I just bought a MTB with Gates/Pinion drive.

Now I'm looking for a Gates eBike MTB too ! :) Can't find a good quality target yet.

Why exactly does this bike cost close to 5 grand? Yes, it does have carbon belt drive but that motor is not exactly quiet and it's only 350W. The internal geared hub and racks and fenders couldn't possibly cost so much? I'm really trying to understand what exactly make this bike cost so much? I would say there aren't any good value for money carbon belt electric bikes available in the U.S. right now.

There is a gates carbon drive eBike MTB.
http://www.hnf-heisenberg.com
Here you go. They use BMW's iSwing swing arm to make it fully suspended and at the same time very rigid.

It doesn't look like it's possible to get this bike in the U.S.

Why exactly does this bike cost close to 5 grand? Yes, it does have carbon belt drive but that motor is not exactly quiet and it's only 350W. The internal geared hub and racks and fenders couldn't possibly cost so much? I'm really trying to understand what exactly make this bike cost so much? I would say there aren't any good value for money carbon belt electric bikes available in the U.S. right now.

Well, it depends on the intended use.
You have the need and you're willing to pay $3200 for a small, compact bike with 396Whr battery, 15mph speed limit and rim brakes.
Aventura comes with 612 Whr battery, dual piston Magura MT5 hydrualic brakes, 28mph speed limit and a bunch accessory that can actually be used.
So, an extra $1299 over your bike can be justified by those who find it useful.

Heisenberg HNF may come to the US next year and Nick's name says he lives in Dubai, so I thought he might be able to import them.

What are the options? The bike must be available to buy online or have good dealer base in U.S.A. Under 5K please. Thank you!

Kalkhoff Aventura Integrale S11............fantastic bike, superior build quality. Dealer base is limited. 2016 model shipping shortly. Has integrated battery, version 3.o of their impulse mid drive and its a speed pedelec.

Well, it depends on the intended use.
You have the need and you're willing to pay $3200 for a small, compact bike with 396Whr battery, 15mph speed limit and rim brakes.
Aventura comes with 612 Whr battery, dual piston Magura MT5 hydrualic brakes, 28mph speed limit and a bunch accessory that can actually be used.
So, an extra $1299 over your bike can be justified by those who find it useful.

I guess the end user has a lot to do with prices. ( btw, I think the Sahel is 417Whr and 20mph and not 15. ) I don't want to pay $3.2K but it's the lack of alternatives that is making me consider that route. My options on that size are limited to some A2B bikes that don't look like regular bikes, Neo volt collection and the many rebranded Chinese folding bikes. When it comes to a full size bike, it just seemed like there are a lot more choices and it didn't seem like the Aventura is priced in a competitive fashion.

Kalkhoff Integrale S8 is <$5K

Where? My local dealer wants $5800 for the S8. Fantastic bike, but I'm holding out for an S11, although I'm afraid to see the price.

*edit: Whoops. It's $4899. The S11 is 5800. Ignore me.

Last edited:

You need to look beyond specs (though those are there) and see the quality. It's not difficult if you look carefully. Integrated lights, very nice components, seat, craftsmanship. They are fine bikes, strong and robust, with a great reputation.
For a reason. ;)

Back