Am I in the right place?

Twist

Region
USA
City
Annapolis MD
Hi folks,

I'm a life long motorcyclist: dirt, enduro, trials to a stint at road racing in WERA to growing up into big epic tours and adventure motorcycling. A couple of friends started showing up on Sur Ron's at Trials practice days and got me intrigued with e-bikes so I've recently picked up a Sur Ron X that I'm going to be trying to configure for winter time trials training near to home. Hence the title question - as a Sur Ron owner am I in the right place? I'm not sure of the distinctions in the terminology: e-bike, electric motorcycle, e-MTB, etc and wasn't sure if this forum is for all of it or more of the e-MTB crowd?

Looking forward to learning and contributing back when I can.

2021020607313091--2004647024153640745-IMG_8392_HEIC-M.jpg

Welcome.
I won't be riding one, but others here might. You might find fellow enthusiasts in this topic: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/forum/mountain/
Enjoy the ride.
Annapolis, huh? You plan to get out to Cumberland or Frostburg? I've hiked those areas along the rail lines, watching heavy iron conquer the Appalachians. Walked through a couple of abandoned tunnels, too. Take your light, there are snakes.

Hi folks,

I'm a life long motorcyclist: dirt, enduro, trials to a stint at road racing in WERA to growing up into big epic tours and adventure motorcycling. A couple of friends started showing up on Sur Ron's at Trials practice days and got me intrigued with e-bikes so I've recently picked up a Sur Ron X that I'm going to be trying to configure for winter time trials training near to home. Hence the title question - as a Sur Ron owner am I in the right place? I'm not sure of the distinctions in the terminology: e-bike, electric motorcycle, e-MTB, etc and wasn't sure if this forum is for all of it or more of the e-MTB crowd?

Looking forward to learning and contributing back when I can.

2021020607313091--2004647024153640745-IMG_8392_HEIC-M.jpg
Welcome to EBR and enjoy the ride! 😉

The Sur-Ron is an awesome EBike... not everyone can handle the power. Let us know how you like it.

I'm loving it so far. As I mentioned above I'm a motorcyclist, specially a trials rider lately but the closest trials practice areas are a few hours away from me. This little bike is pretty stealthy for practice in my back yard or on private land that's nearby some homes that probably don't want to hear my 2 stroke roaming around in the woods.

Being new to this, and coming across a Sur Ron thread on here, I just didn't know if this was mainly a bicycle centric community or if it overlapped with electric motorcycling. I guess the Sur Ron doesn't fit neatly into either category.

Hi Twist,
You started at the top !
Yes, many bicyclists, new and experienced eBikers, former MC riders are here.
Lots of comment about rules and regulations, however rarely about 'getting a ticket ' for any thing by any body.
My rail trails were pioneered by 'doodle bugs' Jeeps & dirt bikers.
Now at night the 4 wheelers run the trails.
You can likely go anywhere, consider that you'll startle them because it's silent.
Whistle, ( great for dog walkers ) maybe a bell for a warning devices with lights
Mike

I'm loving it so far. As I mentioned above I'm a motorcyclist, specially a trials rider lately but the closest trials practice areas are a few hours away from me. This little bike is pretty stealthy for practice in my back yard or on private land that's nearby some homes that probably don't want to hear my 2 stroke roaming around in the woods.

Being new to this, and coming across a Sur Ron thread on here, I just didn't know if this was mainly a bicycle centric community or if it overlapped with electric motorcycling. I guess the Sur Ron doesn't fit neatly into either category.
Good to hear. The EBR forum covers a bit of both. ;)

It is a big tent. Welcome. I like to play and and the artistry of creating acoustic/electric bikes that do not look electric. How do you like the off-the-line torque of eBikes as compared to revs?

Attachments

• ChainringCanvas.JPG
    ChainringCanvas.JPG
    305.2 KB · Views: 251
It is a big tent. Welcome. I like to play and and the artistry of creating acoustic/electric bikes that do not look electric. How do you like the off-the-line torque of eBikes as compared to revs?
Obviously the electric motor has instant torque and tons of it compared to the small bore trials bikes I've ridden but over all I'd say it's just different and not necessarily better or worse. The throttle control of the sine wave controller on the Sur Ron is a bit quirky in that it seems to use something like a parabolic curve response. Nearly nothing initially and for a bit of turn then it comes on like a freight train and then not much effect in the last bit of throttle. That makes it hard to crawl around very slowly or stand still on the bike before then a burst of power to lift over an obstacle. Bottom line is that I'm still in the early dating phase of the relationship and working on coming to grips with it.

I guess I asked the question in my initial introduction because I understand that there's a bit of an evolution in culture going on. Organized mountain bike riders having a little tension with eMTB riders and maybe now with electric motorcycle riders. Honestly I'm not sure where the Sur Ron X fits on that continuum - probably somewhere between an eMTB and motorcycle?

Let me just say this - that my goal with anywhere I ride is to leave no trace that I've been there and to be the most considerate person on the trails. No one's enjoyment should come at the expense of anyone else's. It's everywhere though. It's the ATV guys vs off-road motorcycles; hunters vs everyone else; and the drama goes on. I hope whatever you ride you leave no trace and share the trail.

Twist,
Welcome to the forum.
Yes, it is primarily for electric bikes, meaning a two or three wheeled vehicle that is propelled forward with pedals and has assist from motor and battery. However there is a ton of useful info regarding batteries, motors, throttles, trails, etc. And the members are thoughtful, knowledgeable and kind. Treat them with respect and they will respond in kind.

That is a really sharp looking motorcycle. I would love to ride one but I'm sure I'd get into trouble, kinda like Simon Cowell's little flip!
As far a using it on an actual bicycle trail my sense is it is not allow. Each state may have different regulations but most have something similar for using electric bikes on bicycle trails:
- Bike must have operable pedals
- Max speed that the motor can assist is 20 mph
- Motor must stop assisting when the rider stops pedaling or when using brakes.
I'm mostly referring to the paved bicycle trails, which you may or not be riding.

Now that said, it's debatable how much it is enforced. Many of our members have what's classified as a class 2 ebike, meaning it also can be propelled solely with a throttle. And as the technology changes there will be more machines that blur the line between bicycle and motorcycle.
Feel free to learn some and share some. :)🚴‍♂️🏍️

Thanks Marci Jo! That's my understanding as well regarding the regulations and it varies from state to state. I'm fortunately that I have access to some nice private land trails to get my fix for e-fun or turning non-renewable resources into fun.

Looking forward to learning and who knows, maybe I'll dip my toe in to some pedal power while I'm here.

Welcome.
I won't be riding one, but others here might. You might find fellow enthusiasts in this topic: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/forum/mountain/
Enjoy the ride.
Annapolis, huh? You plan to get out to Cumberland or Frostburg? I've hiked those areas along the rail lines, watching heavy iron conquer the Appalachians. Walked through a couple of abandoned tunnels, too. Take your light, there are snakes.
I do get up to the area near Emmitsburg pretty often to ride on some private land there that is just amazing for trials and more expert trail riding.

Obviously the electric motor has instant torque and tons of it compared to the small bore trials bikes I've ridden but over all I'd say it's just different and not necessarily better or worse. The throttle control of the sine wave controller on the Sur Ron is a bit quirky in that it seems to use something like a parabolic curve response. Nearly nothing initially and for a bit of turn then it comes on like a freight train and then not much effect in the last bit of throttle. That makes it hard to crawl around very slowly or stand still on the bike before then a burst of power to lift over an obstacle. Bottom line is that I'm still in the early dating phase of the relationship and working on coming to grips with it.

I guess I asked the question in my initial introduction because I understand that there's a bit of an evolution in culture going on. Organized mountain bike riders having a little tension with eMTB riders and maybe now with electric motorcycle riders. Honestly I'm not sure where the Sur Ron X fits on that continuum - probably somewhere between an eMTB and motorcycle?

Let me just say this - that my goal with anywhere I ride is to leave no trace that I've been there and to be the most considerate person on the trails. No one's enjoyment should come at the expense of anyone else's. It's everywhere though. It's the ATV guys vs off-road motorcycles; hunters vs everyone else; and the drama goes on. I hope whatever you ride you leave no trace and share the trail.
I am considering a Sur Ron and have a few questions... thanks in advance! ;)
  • What range do you typically see riding off-road? on-road?
  • Have you disabled the speed limiter on the stock bike?
  • How long does a full charge take... level 1 and level 2?
  • Do you have the Luna model with the upgraded X1 controller?

I am considering a Sur Ron and have a few questions... thanks in advance! ;)
  • What range do you typically see riding off-road? on-road?
I really haven't had it long enough to suss out the range with my configuration (54T sprocket). Most people report 40+ miles in easy riding and closer to 30 if running wide open throttle and hill climbs. It's not really road legal here in Maryland though I'm intrigued enough to maybe go dip my toe into mini-moto or super Moto racing.

• Have you disabled the speed limiter on the stock bike?
Yes, it's a simple snip of a single signal wire. However, I have a daughter that'll ride it often so I put a toggle on it so that I can switch the limiter on and off.
  • How long does a full charge take... level 1 and level 2?
I've never used it to below 40% battery but it's reported that it takes close to 3 hours to put a full charge on it when it's very low.

• Do you have the Luna model with the upgraded X1 controller?
Yes, I have the latest Luna X Black Edition bike with the sine wave controller, upgraded steering head bearings, RST Killah forks and FastAce rear shock.

Nice! I've heard a lot about the Sur Ron, that thing looks awesome and I love your profile photo @Twist... looks like you were out having some FUN with some dirt on your face!

A long time ago, I was able to test ride a ZERO and some of the Stealth electric bikes (which are more like motorcycles with pedals to slip by as "bicycles") very cool stuff. Yeah, of course you're welcome here, and I have a category back at the site which covers "high speed" ebikes that don't really fit into the Class 1, 2, or 3 sections and are more like mopeds or non-street-legal motorcycles.

Welcome to the site!

Nice! I've heard a lot about the Sur Ron, that thing looks awesome and I love your profile photo @Twist... looks like you were out having some FUN with some dirt on your face!

A long time ago, I was able to test ride a ZERO and some of the Stealth electric bikes (which are more like motorcycles with pedals to slip by as "bicycles") very cool stuff. Yeah, of course you're welcome here, and I have a category back at the site which covers "high speed" ebikes that don't really fit into the Class 1, 2, or 3 sections and are more like mopeds or non-street-legal motorcycles.

Welcome to the site!
Court, thanks for pointing out the High-Speed EBike reviews... I have been calling this category Class 4. ;)

Welcome to the site!

There's some pretty cool bikes there in the high speed bikes reviews. It's interesting how the higher performance e-bikes are in kind of a frontier on how they're regulated (or not). Sur Ron has made some attempt to, well, look like they are checking some boxes but are really a different beast entirely. The bike by default comes with foot pegs like a motorcycle or scooter. There are options for an actual working set of pedals that will propel the bike but given the gearing and heft of the machine, they don't have much practical use. It's more like a ultra light weight electric motorcycle that isn't legal on bike paths or the street. I guess you could question the merits of that design choice but here's the thing, the market is validating their product and they are selling as fast as they can import them at the sub $4k price point regardless of how they are regulated or not. It's an interesting business strategy to produce what people what regardless of how it fits into any regulatory structure - I guess sort of like what seems to have happened when e-bikes started hitting the mountain bike trails.

My interest in the bike is training for gas powered full trials bike riding and events. My 2 stroke trials bike is pretty quiet but I can ride the Sur Ron around over obstacles in my back yard and no one knows I'm there. I'm much more likely to get long term access to some private land trails on a noiseless bike than on any ICE driven bike. The Sur Ron comes with knobby mountain bike tires on it but I'm switching them out for trials tires that have a much less agressive tread pattern. They get better grip on obstacles like logs and rocks and leave less of any trace that I've been riding there. I can ride around in my landscaping at my home and you can't tell I've been there whereas on the knobbies, not so much.

I'm really intrigued by the bikes in the high speed bike reviews. I can see myself (maybe my whole family) having these bikes and using them around town and in some of the places we travel.

Back