Alternative Shifters

jbrychka

I have a physical impairment with my right hand where I have issues with dexterity and weak fingers.

I am interested in purchasing the Juiced RipCurrent S or a Surface 604 Shred. I am concerned about being able to shift gears. They are both 9 speeds and the RipCurrent S has the Shimano Altus Mega-Lite Trigger and the Shred has the SRAM X5 Trigger. I can probably push the closest thumb lever but not sure on the second further lever. I tried a Pedego this past weekend and it seemed to have a similar shifter and I was unable to hit the further thumb lever of the two levers. I have also used the 7 speed Shimano SIS Index Thumb Shifter on the Rad bikes and it was a little awkward on the further lever but I could do it.

Do you have any recommendations for a different shifter mechanism or different options? I have read about the twister gear shifter that is part of the handle and I think that may work well for me. I have also seen the shifter on the brake so that may work on the left break but there would be a lot going on on the left side. If that was the option I took, I could see about moving the peddle assist control to the right side of the handlebars.

I appreciate your feedback.

Jim

you may need a Shimano Deore two way shifter. it lets you upshift with a push either direction away or towards you so you can use your thumb on the tip of your fingers toward you.

If you have shifting problems... I would strongly recommend you getting an ebike with automatic transmission.

I know manual transmission is more fun, but if you're in pain, I think that would just take cycling enjoyment out of you :confused:

Thanks for the suggestion. No pain issues, just limited use but I will see what’s out there with the automatic gears.

Can you manage the brake? You can control both with one lever with some parts. Here’s an example:
Looking at the two bikes you mentioned, I would go with the red one. Everyone knows red bikes are faster. 😛

I have a physical impairment with my right hand where I have issues with dexterity and weak fingers.

I am interested in purchasing the Juiced RipCurrent S or a Surface 604 Shred. I am concerned about being able to shift gears. They are both 9 speeds and the RipCurrent S has the Shimano Altus Mega-Lite Trigger and the Shred has the SRAM X5 Trigger. I can probably push the closest thumb lever but not sure on the second further lever. I tried a Pedego this past weekend and it seemed to have a similar shifter and I was unable to hit the further thumb lever of the two levers. I have also used the 7 speed Shimano SIS Index Thumb Shifter on the Rad bikes and it was a little awkward on the further lever but I could do it.

Do you have any recommendations for a different shifter mechanism or different options? I have read about the twister gear shifter that is part of the handle and I think that may work well for me. I have also seen the shifter on the brake so that may work on the left break but there would be a lot going on on the left side. If that was the option I took, I could see about moving the peddle assist control to the right side of the handlebars.
I appreciate your feedback.
Jim

Jim, Welcome to EBR!

Take a look at the Evelo Aurora limited edition with an automatic transmission. ;)

Slather on the smoothness
Evelo cracked the code on this problem by shying away from off-the-shelf motors and off-the-shelf programming.

The Aurora Limited fully utilizes the smooth and effortless enviolo automatic transmission, wiping away your cares of being in the right gear, stressing the system, or the embarrassment of being stuck, unable to get the bike moving again. Moreover, Evelo swings for the fences by combining a Gates Carbon Belt Drive replacing the chain, to offer even more smoothness and freedom from regular maintenance.

To cap off this achievement is Evelo’s Motion Drive motor — the real secret sauce. The chefs in the back of Evelo use this torque based 750w mid-drive motor, with specialized programming, to perfectly compliment the ride. By the way, it has a throttle. Overall, I think the Aurora Limited has set a new standard. I’m sure others will emulate this formula if they can.

A large part of what makes electric bikes so great is the ease of allowing more people to bike who are intimidated by traditional bikes. With the automatic shifting and intuitive, strong pedal-assist, this brings the electric components more in line with the memories we have of biking as kids. Add to that a load of comfort points and a competitive price for the equipment, I think this bike is really good.

Jim, Welcome to EBR!

Take a look at the Evelo Aurora limited edition with an automatic transmission. ;)

Slather on the smoothness
Evelo cracked the code on this problem by shying away from off-the-shelf motors and off-the-shelf programming.

The Aurora Limited fully utilizes the smooth and effortless enviolo automatic transmission, wiping away your cares of being in the right gear, stressing the system, or the embarrassment of being stuck, unable to get the bike moving again. Moreover, Evelo swings for the fences by combining a Gates Carbon Belt Drive replacing the chain, to offer even more smoothness and freedom from regular maintenance.

To cap off this achievement is Evelo’s Motion Drive motor — the real secret sauce. The chefs in the back of Evelo use this torque based 750w mid-drive motor, with specialized programming, to perfectly compliment the ride. By the way, it has a throttle. Overall, I think the Aurora Limited has set a new standard. I’m sure others will emulate this formula if they can.

A large part of what makes electric bikes so great is the ease of allowing more people to bike who are intimidated by traditional bikes. With the automatic shifting and intuitive, strong pedal-assist, this brings the electric components more in line with the memories we have of biking as kids. Add to that a load of comfort points and a competitive price for the equipment, I think this bike is really good.

Thank you. Yes, I took a look at that. That is a very nice setup.

I also have weak hands and fingers. My life saver was Archer Components D1X Trail electric shifters. Uses you derailleur and is infinitely adjustable. Now with the push of a button up or down the bike shifts - even under pedal power. I have electric pedal assist or throttle emotor but like to peddle along. I can easily be in the correct gear. Check 'em out - 1/2 price of any other shift system. Archer Components Electronic Shifting for Every Bike

Back