Almost owner -West Mitten State

dpd128

Region
USA
Hi. we are considering ebikes, in particular the RadCity stepthrough. We’re both in our 60s with a few mobility issues. We took a test drive (YouEBikeMichigan.com) and really enjoyed the experience. I have 2 concerns: 1. the weight, as in getting them onto a rack or in the back of my pickup, and 2. using them on local rails to trails. It appears like there are quite a few regulations, but I was glad to see at least that we could ride them in a National Park. I don’t see either of these as deal breakers, but maybe a few thoughts from the collective wisdom! Thanks.

Welcome to EBR. Is the west mitten state the upper peninsula of Michigan?
Rads are quite popular on here and there's an active Rad subforum under the bikes by brands heading.
And yes the weight is an issue, but you can use a ramp ... and many on here are older than you; I'm close to 70, and there are members in their 80s.
As far as national parks and rail trail regulations go, they vary from one trail to another ( even in the same state, even in the same park occasionally ) and enforcement also varies.
Use the search function to see if a member has commented on a trail you are looking at. Usually a class 1 is allowed and if you ride your bike like it's a class 1(slowly without throttle), noone cares. But not always.

Thanks Art Deco. We are in the lower penisula...about a 3 hour car ride to the Mackinac Bridge, which will get you to the UP. Thanks for your insight, too. I’ve tried to do as much reading about the bikes as I can. I keep coming back to the RadCity Step-thru and since I had the chance to ride one for a couple of hours, I’m a fan.

I toured the UP via the Mackinac coming down from the Canada side to Detroit before Covid . Rode my first rental eBike by the 1000 islands and loved it.
But beware of buying the first ebike you ride in spite of the ebike grin of the first ride.
Ebikes aren't all the same, and I really wouldn't consider that first ebike after riding some others. You really should check the Rad forum and see what the owners say ... these are folks that spent their own money first to buy a bike, and then to maintain and repair it, so they know much more than I do.

Hi. we are considering ebikes, in particular the RadCity stepthrough. We’re both in our 60s with a few mobility issues. We took a test drive (YouEBikeMichigan.com) and really enjoyed the experience. I have 2 concerns: 1. the weight, as in getting them onto a rack or in the back of my pickup, and 2. using them on local rails to trails. It appears like there are quite a few regulations, but I was glad to see at least that we could ride them in a National Park. I don’t see either of these as deal breakers, but maybe a few thoughts from the collective wisdom! Thanks.
Dpd128 They weight can be an issue I am in Michigan near grand rapids I elected to buy Lectric, I looked at many bikes and at 59 lbs and folding they were ideal for our RV life. They can be folded and put in a tote and two can lift it into the truck or rv

Most trails will allow Class 1 ebikes. It's the throttle that will keep you off of many trails. I ride a Class 1 and have never had a problem on a trail. It's pedal assist only and has no throttle. My ebike only weighs 50 lbs. without the battery. As a 69 -- almost 70 -- year old woman, hoisting it up onto my Thule hitch rack is hard. I bought a 6' ramp meant for dirt bikes, and cut it in half and hinged it, so it goes nicely in the car. It attaches to the Thule T2 Pro with a carriage bolt. I also cut 3" PVC pipe lengthwise, spray painted it black and carriage bolted that to the rails on the bike rack. I can roll my bike up the ramp, down the pvc "cup" and then just lift it into the front wheel holder. I can do this myself easily. Someone suggested trying different ebikes. I strongly suggest this.

Keep in mind when you transport the bike you’ll remove the battery which will decrease loading weight by at least 10%

Just be advised that the Rad City has half the torque of the Rad Rover or the Rad Mini's so is not as good on hills. As to trail riding Class 2 bikes are easy to temporarily convert to Class 1 just by unplugging the throttle. I don't use mine much anyway except to get rolling from a dead stop.

Back