Allant Battery

I'm going to have a problem if it bases my riding on the last 5 miles of my ride. Why wouldn't they evaluate the entire ride?

Using short term average consumption to estimate range is pretty much what can be done unless your route/ weather conditions are known. Although I agree with the rest of your concerns this one is unjustified.

Don't worry about or trust the estimate too much. Instead of range a much better signal is your consumption in WH per mile . Nyon shows this , I don't know if Cobi does it.

Also range is greatly affected by how you ride, the riding position, wind etc. Someone mentioned Domane+ range, unfortunately that will not be indicative of your range if you are riding fast. There is a very significant consumption difference between the upright riding position and 2.4" tires of allant and a road bicycle like Domane+. I rode with several very fit road bikers several times 30+miles, I was able to pass them at their peak but when we compared my rider input to their watt meter readings it turned out that at speeds 24+mph we were both pushing equally hard and we were in that region for most of the ride(granted I was also carrying lots of stuff, even a full sized bike pump while they were all in lycra with very light full carbon bikes). So at higher speeds most of my support was wasted in inefficiencies due to riding position and weight.

And that 85-90mile range is hard to believe, it translates into less than 7wh/mile. If you are going very slow and/or turning off the assist frequently maybe, but then what is the point of an ebike.

That's strange, I posted a comment yesterday and now its gone.

Yes, I see this every time I ride through the UW. Kids in college faces pushed against their phones walk right across the bike path or roadway and don't even look up. Even an education doesn't seem to help...

I'm looking to get a cam on my bike wondering what anyone is using that has quality video and runs for hours?

I have these, the meet my needs. You can find them on eBay, etc.

Johnny, you must have missed a few posts. My last five miles home are always up hill - the hardest part of my ride. So it would be a really poor example of what I should be able to get from the rest of the 40 or so miles.

While ebikes have come along way there is still a lot of mystery. These WH that are being calculated don't appear to be considering the rider. I was a lycra wearing road cyclist for over 30 years. All the power was me. So these ebikes should be complimenting OUR power not the other way around. I generally ride with the motor off especially on flat or semi flat roads. My bike and gear have been close to 100lbs. If I can maintain 15-20 mph without the motor speed shouldn't affect the output from the motor when I turn it on. If anything it should give me additional power. I had a cheap rear hub drive before this one. It took cadence into consideration for the amount of power to put out.

For some of us the point of an ebike is to enhance our ride not be our ride. After 30 + years of riding I'm tired of the hills and no longer in the mood to attack them like when we are young... especially being at the end of my ride. I now enjoy cycling like I did when I started :)

But maybe I'm wrong and these are designed to do the riding which is a shame especially to see young people get one as their first bike.

GuruUno, how easy is that to operate? Does it stop when the SD card is full or overwrite old video? Looks like it's good for a couple of hours or so but I'd need a bit more or be able to record and stop as needed.

Johnny, you must have missed a few posts. My last five miles home are always up hill - the hardest part of my ride. So it would be a really poor example of what I should be able to get from the rest of the 40 or so miles.

I may have missed a few posts, sorry about that.

I will try to put it in layman's terms. Right now you want the trip computer to make a prediction. You say that your last 5 miles are always uphill but how would your trip computer know it? What if you decide ride uphill for another 10 - 15 or 20 miles in which case If tc makes a prediction under the assumption that you will only climb 5 miles then it would be very inaccurate. What about the weather? Wind ?
If you have maps and you input your route before every ride then you can expect a somewhat accurate estimate of remaining battery when you arrive your destination. Otherwise the most reasonable estimates would be range wrt short term power consumption or range wrt long term power consumption. Both can be very inaccurate depending on the situation.

There is no mystery in power consumption calculation in electric motors. Wh is an accurate measure of consumed energy and in electric bikes we have access to precise data from battery / motor etc. You can think about miles/wh as a very accurate version of miles/gallon. That's why instead of focusing on the estimate you should see your wh/miles and adjust your ride accordingly. For example you are coming to that hill and you know from previous experience that you spend on average 20wh/mile then you need around 100wh for that 5 mile climb. Given your battery is 625wh you should have at least %16-17 percent battery left to make that climb.

I get it but it still isn't a good way to calculate before the ride. After a full nights charge it should just show the expected miles in perfect conditions then adjust as you ride. I suppose it works for those who do the same route every time but then what's the point? You would already know.

For me it will be best to ignore the estimate at all. It's better just to keep an eye on battery level.

I will be adding the extended battery plus maybe an additional one for some long trips I plan to do this summer.

On another note, the tech guys at the Trek store changed the setting so that I can turn the lights on and off.

I have a 2020 Allant+ 8s. My commute is 10 miles each way. I've taken my bike to work everyday since I got it 6 weeks ago. If I ride in "turbo" mode at ~24MPH average speed, I use 30% of my battery each way. If I ride in "eco" mode at ~15 MPH, I use 10% of my battery each way.

My Allant+ 9.9S is brand new 3 days ago. I put 60 miles on it Sunday and came home with 22% battery. Yesterday, i put 18.2 miles on it and had 64% left at the end of the day. Now both rides were very different, Sunday's ride was slow going, lots of stops and just riding around in ECO mode (a few Turbo's just to play), riding with family on non-electric bikes most of the day and a 2 hour ride by myself. Yesterday was commute to work, Turbo mode exclusively going to work so I didnt arrive as a ball of sweat and used up 16% of battery on a 9.1 mile ride, surprisingly the ride home, also 9.1 miles used up 20% of battery. It is more downhill going home so I was surprised I used more power, but maybe I pushed harder. The morning ride was 58degrees and the afternoon ride was 76degrees, so while I know heat plays with battery life, I doubt that was enough to make any difference at all.

Heat is good for these batteries. When it drops towards freezing they can lose a lot.

I was playing with the Cobi toy app and looking through the fitness section and found the cadence (rpm). I grew with with more cadence makes better performance and it had nothing to do with fitness. Especially on a road bike a good cadence is 120 or more but the Cobi apps says 75-95 is ideal and anything over it says "high". Apparently that's true for the e-road bikes. I'm waiting for a response as to why high cadence is not good. While I was told to ride these like a bike there is a lot of info missing.

The limited cadence is a user setting for display only. I finally got into the settings. I had to tap the gear as soon as my iPhone and the controller connected otherwise it would go into ride mode with no access to settings. Under profile you set the min and max cadence. There's no point it just shows green I the circle if your cadence is in that range. You can see the rpm clearly. I used to just figure out my cadence for my main riding gear and the speed told me what my cadence was. I have also found the online manual is not the same as the app I was able to download. I have an iPhone 6 which fits well but without the case. But still, unless I need the map, I don't think it's worth the risk for what little the app does. Keep your eyes on the road! ;)

Unrelated but related - I've noticed when I charge my 8S to 100%, the moment I unplug it, the computer reads the battery at 98%, sometimes 97%. Not sure why this is happening and would like to also know if there is a way to know the charge cycles on a battery. Mine is only 7 weeks old.

My ALL TIME PET PEEVE (which just happened again last week) is idiots who do not have their pets/kids on a leash at all and have absolutely no control of said little animals. Doberman 200’ away from its owner! I said some things I shouldn’t have.🤭
My pet peeve these days is idiots who carry a Bluetooth speaker on their bikes or stroller or whatever on the trail. Seems like people aren’t happy unless they are audible by everyone around them from 50-100’. My second level peeve is idiots who have their headphones on, clearly cannot hear my “on your left” warning and are right in the middle of the trail. My third level pet peeve is idiots who walk, run, or ride three abreast and are talking so loud they don’t hear my warning.

Just purchased a new Trek Allant 8s. So far, loving the bike, but it is heavy. I was riding a 2021 Giant Fastroad EX Pro, but after around 300 miles it started shutting off. Long story short, the LBS sold me the bike with the wrong battery key. Getting Giant to respond to a request for assistance, was very painful. So, I swapped out the Fastroad for the Allant 8s. After roughly 4 or 5 rides, I am getting 100 miles in ECO only mode, and 50 to 55 in Tour mode only. This bike is well built, like a bank vault, but man is it HEAVY. Yet, it is comfortable, fast, and responsive. Well done Trek.

Just purchased a new Trek Allant 8s. So far, loving the bike, but it is heavy. I was riding a 2021 Giant Fastroad EX Pro, but after around 300 miles it started shutting off. Long story short, the LBS sold me the bike with the wrong battery key. Getting Giant to respond to a request for assistance, was very painful. So, I swapped out the Fastroad for the Allant 8s. After roughly 4 or 5 rides, I am getting 100 miles in ECO only mode, and 50 to 55 in Tour mode only. This bike is well built, like a bank vault, but man is it HEAVY. Yet, it is comfortable, fast, and responsive. Well done Trek.
10 pound batteries and frames and wheels to take all the torque make a difference, don't they? If you can do 100 miles in eco only, why do you have an ebike? We have ours for hills - a typical 20 mile ride for us includes about 1600 feet of elevation change, and we use about 30% of the battery. You'll find that keeping up speed in headwinds takes a real toll too...

I ride for distance and adventure. I started riding ebikes in June of 2021, with the Giant Roam E+ being my first. With that bike, and the 400 watt battery, I could squeeze 80 miles in ECO. My Vado SL 4.0 with the 320 watt battery would deliver 70 miles in the lowest setting. With my analog bikes, I could ride between 30 and 35 miles, and the following day, I could maybe squeeze in 15 to 20 miles. The ebike seems to double that, so I can definitely ride further, and it has made me very happy. Hope that helps....

Back