All wheel drive Stretch

I like the idea of 2 motors as I live at the top of a hill - end of a mile long road climbing about 800’. I’m about 260lbs. and my wife is around 135 and she’s quite afraid of riding her own bike. I would seriously consider the stretch if it could get us both up the hill with moderate pedalling. I wonder what the combined torque rating for the dual motors is? Also, what’s the suggested range? Finally, can one of the motors be turned off for riding on level ground to extend the range? (I did a test ride with my wife on the back on a level zero grade, lakeside rail trail - about 15 km total at assist 3 and more than enough power for both of us)

I have the same questions. I'm looking for a way to get around my 20 acre property and steep private road. It's 1.5 miles long and has a 20% grade in spots. The Pedego website doesn't offer any information significantly different than the original Stretch:

https://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/shop/stretch-dual-drive/

All it says is it has 2 motors, costs $1000 more than the original and is only available in mineral blue.

I haven't found any good reviews of the bike yet. I did find a picture on TripAdvisor but their reviews are all on the original, not the dual motor.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Locatio...869-Pedego_Blue_Ridge-Blue_Ridge_Georgia.html

There is a brief mention of the dual in this EBR YouTube review:

Not much else out there yet.

Mike from the Pedego dealership didn’t think the dual motor stretch would offer much more hill climbing ability than the single motor. He said he gets up hills in Nelson with his 145lb son on the back - and there are steep hills there from personal experience - but he is in good shape and has to put some decent effort in to keep the speed high enough for the assist to kick in. The stretch does have smaller wheels so the motor can generate a bit more torque than a larger wheel, but the bike is heavier. Depending on your weight and how heavy your cargo will be you should be able to do your hill. Also if you live close to a dealer, they’ll bring you one to try.

Thanks for the input. My dealer has been very helpful so far but they are a 3 hour drive one way from where I live. I doubt they would bring one to me but they might loan me one if I pick it up. It's an idea though. Thanks!

Thanks. Unfortunately the dual drive is prohibited for import by BC - only one motor per ebike. Plus — if I decided to buy it in the USA and bring it in myself, I’d have to pay a minimum of 13% import duty AND pay both federal and provincial sales tax. As well, I could well be subject to the excise tax on aluminum. What really bites is: 1. No provincial sales tax on human only powered bikes but levied on all ebikes. 2. Big provincial subsidies to buy ecars and hybrid electric cars but nothing for an ebike. I guess there must be a lobby by ebike haters we don’t know about.

Back