After knowing what you know now, would you go with the smart system or not?

Like2bike

Region
USA
I have to choose between a 750 watt smart system, bike that is class, 1 or a class 3 high-speed bike with 1250 W. The price difference is negligible at best. Both bikes are quality manufactured. I’m just not sure if the smart system is the right move.

well it will be the only system soon. but I would choose on how fast you want to go. on our tandem 19mph (bosch does not give you 20mph) is usually fast enough but on my commuter its not. bosch tends to pass out products. like Nyon is going to be the only thing getting updates soon I bet. at least with the smart system you can choose your display without having to run new wires.

well it will be the only system soon. but I would choose on how fast you want to go. on our tandem 19mph (bosch does not give you 20mph) is usually fast enough but on my commuter its not. bosch tends to pass out products. like Nyon is going to be the only thing getting updates soon I bet. at least with the smart system you can choose your display without having to run new wires.
Thank you I’ve really been considering the fact that Bosch every three years comes with something new and everything else gets left the wayside or put on the back burner so to speak nothing ever seems to be upgradable are interchangeable in any way, shape or form to help the consumer so this feels like a Sophie’s choice

Thank you I’ve really been considering the fact that Bosch every three years comes with something new and everything else gets left the wayside or put on the back burner so to speak nothing ever seems to be upgradable are interchangeable in any way, shape or form to help the consumer so this feels like a Sophie’s choice
its longer then that. their 4 systems have been out a long time and are still going strong. even the old nyons still work. they still make all the cables and parts and the batteries.

a 750 watt smart system, bike that is class, 1 or a class 3 high-speed bike with 1250 W.
There are no 750W or 1250W bikes with a Bosch. They are rated 250W and 350W.
I am happy with my 2nd generation Bosch and 4th generation Bosch as they share the same batteries.
The smart system has new batteries and chargers that are not compatible with the non-smart system, but if you just start with the Bosch ebikes, you won't have that problem.

Maybe some don't know, but Bosch is the biggest automotive supplier and not just some startup garage business. So you will get spare parts and batteries for these ebikes even in 20 years and probably way longer. In Europe, Bosch is leader on the market with the ebikes, too. So there are millions of them out there and they won't just stop selling parts as there will always be a high demand.

In your case I would just get the one bike you like most.

Ah, like when they say they go 60 miles on a battery, they actually go 60 Mph?
Don't know why someone would just skip the most important part of a unit. Does not make sense.
Some people even do not know what the difference between the power and energy is...

Bosch support is pretty poor, I wouldn't buy a Bosch system in future.

My EBike Connect still has a 1:1 conversion between miles and kilometres big that's been knocking around for 2 years now. Bosch have given up on anything that's not Smart System.

Bosch support is pretty poor, I wouldn't buy a Bosch system in future.
That is just your opinion.

My EBike Connect still has a 1:1 conversion between miles and kilometres big that's been knocking around for 2 years now. Bosch have given up on anything that's not Smart System.
That is only true for the popup notification that nobody needs anyway. All other miles and kilometers are displayed correctly.

That is just your opinion.

That is only true for the popup notification that nobody needs anyway. All other miles and kilometers are displayed correctly.

It's poor attention to detail. I had other issues also, more serious, like power not being applied correctly to motor until I change assist mode, after connecting. It's related to the lock function. Bosch never responded to support tickets...

Software has been fine for my smart system. Some bugs here and there that require the bike to restart, but nothing that I would consider a dealbreaker. Trips sync to Strava/Komoot very easily.

That said I would not buy another Bosch product at this time. I really wanted the Class 3 Speed motor, but found it to be obtrusively loud. Right now I'm considering new bikes and again am passing on the R&M Delite because of that alone. Specialized has a 90 nm motor that in contrast is nearly silent.

As an owner of a Bosch bike, I have tried (and failed) to get manuals that explain the power outlets on the motor unit. These are critical for hardwiring accessories. It's clear they really do not want the end user making even basic personalizations.

Last edited:
Back