Affordable bicycle repair stand?

I tried a cheap one since I only envisioned doing chain lube and clean work at home. Was no good. In my local shop they use a park pcs10 stand for the “change a flat” class... I put my bike on it, and was sold instantly. I don’t use it at home very often, but when I do, it is perfection. No regrets on the “splurge” (I think I found it on a large river website for under $200)

I am in the same boat and looking for a new stand. The PCS-10 is interesting, but looks like they continue to have issues with the spring clip on the column. Pretty heavy from what I hear also.

Leaning towards the Feedback Pro_Ultralight currently... (same price range as PCS-10)
ffpul3-1.jpg

The 3 leg support looks like it would work better and its made of AL so it will be uber light for trips or storage. The clamping system looks top notch. Its rated for 85lbs which would work for my situation of trying to hang 62. Any Feedback users out there?

I use the PCS-10 as well, yes it's heavy because it's steel, the quick release clamp holds both my ebikes, with battery, and my Brompton, no problems, recently used it to build up a new ebike for a friend, its great when you don't need to bend over and is high enough to sit in a chair to work on the gears or motor.

Never had a problem with unfolding or folding it, takes about 30 seconds either way, I did pick this stand because of the bracket holding the legs, nice and solid.

I did have a cheap stand that used a tripod base like that one above, I grew to hate it because I was forever tripping over the back leg when I walked around the bike.

The only complaint if I have to have one is sometimes the sliding tube will twist inside the outer tube if the bike is a bit heavier at one end, Park have fixed this on the new model by using shaped sliding tubes so it can't twist around, but I don't like the change to the base, prefer the one I have, it just looks stronger.

In short, yes it costs $$$, but it's quick to fold up, the clamp is quick to use and with the shaped jaws, holding the top tube and has gaps to allow cables and brake lines to pass without crushing, the amount of use it has when you are replacing brake pads, checking the gear shifting, even just giving the bike a wash, spend the money you won't regret it.

I use an old car bike rack that I had and attach it to some shelf I have in my garage. Works great and cost me nothing since I already owned it. Something like this

Attachments

• 9850F8BF-FB51-4E5B-ABA3-4855F9CEAD48.png
    9850F8BF-FB51-4E5B-ABA3-4855F9CEAD48.png
    605.6 KB · Views: 481
Anyone use this one by Bikehand? Seems to have good reviews and the reviews authenticity got an A score on fakespot

61j4s4xfniL._SL1500_.jpg
I bought the “Standard” version of that stand 1.5 years ago to carry in our Motorhome before we got e-bikes. It’s a lot lighter and more portable than the Park PCS-10 I have at home, and as such not nearly as stable. The jaws are a little “fiddly”, but overall ok for occasional use on regular bikes but probably not on 48+ lb. bikes. The heavy duty version you linked to might be OK.

I’m trying to find the Topeak Tune-up Stand X (TW023) to keep in the bus for occasional use with our e-bikes.

I bought the “Standard” version of that stand 1.5 years ago to carry in our Motorhome before we got e-bikes. It’s a lot lighter and more portable than the Park PCS-10 I have at home, and as such not nearly as stable. The jaws are a little “fiddly”, but overall ok for occasional use on regular bikes but probably not on 48+ lb. bikes. The heavy duty version you linked to might be OK.

I’m trying to find the Topeak Tune-up Stand X (TW023) to keep in the bus for occasional use with our e-bikes.

thanks for the feedback. unfortunately all the amazon reviews are only for the 55 lbs max version. the heavy might be too new.

I've owned the Park Tool PCS-10 for four years or so. I think it's great, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. I noticed today that Park Tool redesigned it and it's now the PCS-10.2. The original was well made with welded gussets and a quick release at the base for folding. Very stable and the way it worked it was impossible to fold up while in use.

PCS-10 (original)

36925 36926

New PCS-10.2

36927 36928

To me there's an obvious quality change for the worse. The new version uses crimped steel tubes, with mechanically fastened braces. Versus the old fabricated and welded base.

Two Amazon reviewers had the new version fold up while their bikes were on the stand. One reviewer had the stand collapse twice with their ebike on it.

There are other changes to the stand. The PCS-9 has been changed as well. I own a lot of Park Tool products, big fan. I don't like this change.

I've owned the Park Tool PCS-10 for four years or so. I think it's great, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. I noticed today that Park Tool redesigned it and it's now the PCS-10.2. The original was well made with welded gussets and a quick release at the base for folding. Very stable and the way it worked it was impossible to fold up while in use.

PCS-10 (original)

View attachment 36925 View attachment 36926

New PCS-10.2

View attachment 36927 View attachment 36928

To me there's an obvious quality change for the worse. The new version uses crimped steel tubes, with mechanically fastened braces. Versus the old fabricated and welded base.

Two Amazon reviewers had the new version fold up while their bikes were on the stand. One reviewer had the stand collapse twice with their ebike on it.

There are other changes to the stand. The PCS-9 has been changed as well. I own a lot of Park Tool products, big fan. I don't like this change.

Too bad. I'm also a Park Tool fan and use my old style PCS-10 frequently. Hopefully, I never have to replace it.

Thanks for posting this.

I use this one... you can mount it to a block of wood and put it in your shop vice. Easy to store that way...

Attachments

• BE01CEE8-D014-4DCE-918F-A965E134A732.jpeg
    BE01CEE8-D014-4DCE-918F-A965E134A732.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 530

PCS-10 (original)

View attachment 36925 View attachment 36926

New PCS-10.2

View attachment 36927 View attachment 36928

Exactly my thoughts, I have the older stand, it's solid, easy to fold up, holds my 30kg ebike with battery, no problems, the new "improved" stand has been designed by an idiot who just copied what other cheap stands use, I bought it because of the quick clamp to hold the bike and the way the base operates.

Ron49 said:
This looks interesting to me, but haven't seen it live yet... https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/stands/1137-tune-up-stand-x

You can buy it from hollandbikeshop for $48, they charge $35 for shipping but you can add other stuff to order as well, its a flat shipping fee.

Abus locks are basically half price on that site

Thanks for that update. It finally became available on the Topeak web site earlier this week and I have one one the way. All-in cost is a little higher from Topeak than you found at Holland. I was planning to report here once I see how it works with our 50-lb Specialized Como bikes.

Received the Topeak Tune-Up Stand X today and I'm happy with the purchase. I have a nice Park that I keep in our summer location, and an Amazon special "Bikehand Pro" that I keep at our winter place. Both of these are a bit of a pain to get out and set up and are more than needed for quick adjustments and cleanings. Also either of these take up too much space in our motorhome during our travels. The Topeak breaks down quickly for easy storage and it's perfect for probably 80% of what I need a stand for. It's weight rating is 55-lbs, but since the full weight of the bike is not carried by the stand it should handle even the heaviest of e-bikes. It holds our bikes solidly - just a little more tippy in the direction of the post, but not bad.

Attachments

• IMG_0289.jpg
    IMG_0289.jpg
    881.7 KB · Views: 856
Back