Advise needed on first time purchaser

Burt808

Region
USA
Hello, im a 47 year old male from Maui with lower back pain and I have been thinking about buying my first e mountain bike to get myself out of the house.... I have been leaning toward buying a Yamaha moro 7 which is on sale...I would initially have to have the bike shipped to a Oahu dealer and they would then ship inter-island to me..

There is also a used bike on craigslist close to me which I have been looking at

Do you think I should go for the new yamaha moro 7($3100) or perhaps go with the used one? Another problem is warranty repair for the yamaha, as I would probably have to ship it back to oahu for repairs...

We do have some local bike shops here on the island but I see nothing that interests me....

I would greatly appreciate any advise...

Used e-bikes can have flaky electrical problems that happen only sometimes. Often nobody can fix them. Yamaha is a good bike. OTOH a warranty that only works if you spend $500 in shipping is not worth a lot. Talk to the dealer about the possibility of him shipping free parts to you if you need something. Pity there is no ferry from Oahu to Maui.
Several posters hated their fat tire bikes. Don't steer well, and if you get caught in the rain and the electric drive quits, like dragging a whale if you pedal it unpowered. OTOH if you are going to ride in fluffy beach sand, fat tires are made for that. One option, buying a new pair of wheels with 25 mm rims and putting 2.1" 55 psi tires on for days when you are not going to ride on the beach. Cheapo wheels from a rusted kiddie bike are an option: scrap the frame. Lots of rust on an island if you don't oil the steel every other week. I use Type F ATF (no dexron), air tool oil or SUS 46 tractor hydraulic fluid (cheapest kind, not the IH Deere Case compliant grade).
If Luna sourced the battery, it should be properly welded together. My luna 48v 17.5 AH battery is 6 years old and working fine. Bafang mid drives have a lot of fans. Yamahas have been mentioned as being a bit under-powered for climbing mountains. You have Haleakala as the ultimate challenge. Did that in 1993; Ford 460 cu in V8 van up the grade, gravity MTB down.
I ride a lot and have to do back exercises like toe touches and weight lifting to build up my back muscles so they don't hurt while I ride. I do a 3-4 hour commute weekly to my summer camp. But I'm age 74 with no spine problems.
Enjoy shopping and later riding.

Last edited:
In view of the glut of new bikes on the market with huge price reductions my opinion is that is too much money for any used bike.

Back