ADO A20 throttle

ChrisP

Region
United Kingdom
I've just bought an ADO A20 folding bike. Not very happy so far! Can't get the throttle to work, and can't get power assist as soon as I start pedalling. Any ideas?

There were a few bikes built last year (several brands) where the throttle and PAS would not work until the crank had been turned a certain number of times. Originally thought of as a "safety device" it turned out to be a huge PIA drawing tons of complaints. That practice was quickly stopped. That in mind, wondering if you have tried the throttle once the bike gets moving?

Hi, thanks for your response....sadly, even with the bike moving the throttle does nothing. Settings can be changed; for instance, I managed to change klms to miles, but the setting to reduce the delay of the motor kicking in doesn't seem to do anything. Really odd bike ... I get a surge of power after I have stopped pedaling, which is really unnerving, as you can imagine! This is the problem for me, spending large amounts of money on something I haven't seen or been able to test ride! Yup, this was an Amazon online purchase. I was unable to find anything in shops (stores) for my budget of 1,000 GBP that I liked.

How handy are you? If willing and able, you might look into ripping out all of the current electronics and installing a KT controller and display. I've been spoiled by them, and now do it on nearly every bike I get. Just know in advance there is VERY little support. You would need to be pretty good at figuring things out on your own, and potentially doing some soldering.

One of my most recent bikes had that "surge" when you stop pedaling, which didn't go away when I installed a KT kit on the bike. It turned out the PAS sensor (located on the crank) was bad. I had reused that part, and the problem disappeared when it was replaced.

How handy are you? If willing and able, you might look into ripping out all of the current electronics and installing a KT controller and display. I've been spoiled by them, and now do it on nearly every bike I get. Just know in advance there is VERY little support. You would need to be pretty good at figuring things out on your own, and potentially doing some soldering.

One of my most recent bikes had that "surge" when you stop pedaling, which didn't go away when I installed a KT kit on the bike. It turned out the PAS sensor (located on the crank) was bad. I had reused that part, and the problem disappeared when it was replaced.
When your PAS sensor went out did the bike quit working or did it still run but at a lower performance ? I’ve got a e-bike that was working beautifully when initially purchased, it would pop a little wheelie on takeoff but now it just poops along at a very lackadaisical pace.
just curious- thank you

When your PAS sensor went out did the bike quit working or did it still run but at a lower performance ? I’ve got a e-bike that was working beautifully when initially purchased, it would pop a little wheelie on takeoff but now it just poops along at a very lackadaisical pace.
just curious- thank you
The ONLY symptom that bike had was that surge when you stopped pedaling, propelling it another good 10'. Other than that it was totally normal.

I got the Ado a20 this week and have also found that I cannot get the throttle to do anything. The peddle assist works great (kicks in after a second or so and then carries on as long as you slightly peddle) but I wanted to be able to use the throttle to use as mostly pure electric.

Have you managed to solve this on yours? I have a feeling the throttle is just not functioning on the CE version due to ebike laws

From Google

From January 1 2016, the only throttles legal within the UK’s EAPC legislation are those that assist the rider without pedalling up to a maximum speed of 6 km/h (3.7 mph) – i.e. starting assistance only.

If the rider is rolling – but not pedalling – faster than 6km/h, the throttle cuts off. If the cyclist pedals at the same time then the throttle can still assist up to the general limit of 15.5mph.

If you bought an ebike with a full-speed throttle before January 1 2016, don’t panic: those sold prior to this date are still considered as EAPC and do not require a registration or taxed. Practically, you could still buy one a ‘twist and go’ and not be fined, but it would have to have been produced or imported before January 1.

Since the throttle top speed without pedaling is 3.7mph (walk mode), maybe they just disabled it.

From January 1 2016, the only throttles legal within the UK’s EAPC legislation are those that assist the rider without pedalling up to a maximum speed of 6 km/h (3.7 mph) – i.e. starting assistance only.

If the rider is rolling – but not pedalling – faster than 6km/h, the throttle cuts off. If the cyclist pedals at the same time then the throttle can still assist up to the general limit of 15.5mph.

If you bought an ebike with a full-speed throttle before January 1 2016, don’t panic: those sold prior to this date are still considered as EAPC and do not require a registration or taxed. Practically, you could still buy one a ‘twist and go’ and not be fined, but it would have to have been produced or imported before January 1.

Since the throttle top speed without pedaling is 3.7mph (walk mode), maybe they just disabled it.
Thank you, I have been thinking this is probably why. A bit annoying that the store I bought from do not mention this and seemed unaware that the throttle shouldn't do anything when I later asked them. I will update if the store gives any further information on it.

In case this helps anyone, the manual for the ADO A20 has the below version information. My one I bought in the UK behaves like the description for the CE version. CE version does not mention the throttle whereas the other versions do.
IMG20211025185723.jpg

I've just bought an ADO A20 folding bike. Not very happy so far! Can't get the throttle to work, and can't get power assist as soon as I start pedalling. Any ideas?
I have spoken to the store I bought from and they have sent me the below guide to enable the throttle. I can confirm it works, it enables the throttle on mode 3 on mine. You can also enable the throttle to work from 0kmph by setting P9 to 0.
Shift mode_ADO A20.jpg

I have spoken to the store I bought from and they have sent me the below guide to enable the throttle. I can confirm it works, it enables the throttle on mode 3 on mine. You can also enable the throttle to work from 0kmph by setting P9 to 0.
View attachment 104858
Hi, yes, I had the same problem, but have now enabled the throttle. What I'm trying to do now is to get pedal assist to start as soon as I start pedaling. You were lucky to get a user manual with your bike. I didn't!

Hi, yes, I had the same problem, but have now enabled the throttle. What I'm trying to do now is to get pedal assist to start as soon as I start pedaling. You were lucky to get a user manual with your bike. I didn't!
I have a guide but that image wasn't in it! Got that from contacting the store. There is a setting for the pedal delay but I think the lowest setting is 1, which I presume is one second

Back