Adding hardwired lights to a Shimano steps e6100 system

CalgaryDHR

Region
Canada
I wanted to detail adding lights to a Shimano Steps e6100 system; my experience was on a Norco Scene VLT, but most of it is universal. Shimano makes it pretty easy, but there are a few tripping points.

Tools and supplies:
-Compatible lights
-Android phone (or tablet, I bet)
-Screwdriver
-Allen keys
-Tape
-Shimano's instructions (https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/um/UM-78N0A-001-00-ENG.pdf)
-Zip ties

1. Get some compatible lights. While you can find quite a few, one easy solution my LBS found was ordering a spare set for a Kona Ecoco, which comes with lights standard. This ran me $150 CAD; not great, but not bad. There is some other suggestions in the EMTB thread linked further on.

2. Get the bike somewhere comfortable to work. A bike stand isn't required, but will make things easier and will not require you to lay on the floor; also, if you struggle, you don't want end up with your bike half dissembled in the dark. Some bins (I used one of my son's snack cups) for little screws is a good idea.

REMOVE YOUR BATTERY
(Maybe not required, but why risk it if you don't have to?)

3. Remove the cover on the front, righthand side of the motor. This doesn't require removing the crank arm, but removing the crank arm can be helpful. The screws on the cover are tiny Phillips screws. Put them somewhere safe, not (ahem) on a tile floor next to your cat.

Once this cover is off, you should be able to see the little leads built into your Steps drive unit.

It may be a good idea to remove the little front center cover as well to make running cables simpler.

Another good idea? Take a photo of how the cables are tucked away, since you are about to fart around in there.

4. Thread your light cables to the motor. This can be difficult! I ran a 'fishing line' of jacketed steel clothesline up my front tube to get the headlight run nicely.

The rear light was very difficult to fish around the drive unit. I ended up having success with removing my speed sensor and using that cable to fish my rear light cable to the desired location. This took a lot of swearing, finessing, and care not to damage the important bits. On my bike, this cable went from the back 'left' of the frame/drive unit, under the drive unit, and pops up right next to the lighting connection. By taping my light's cable to the speed sensor wire, I could carefully pull the speed sensor cable back towards the drive unit connection, and the lighting cable showed up before my speed sensor cable length ran out.

If you remove the speed sensor, watch for the little 'lock washer' falling off behind the sensor.

5. Once your cables are run, I would immediately install the cables and confirm everything lights up. Each light cable should split into a simple pair of leads, probably with one of the wires marked with a stripe and one not. You will want to combine the 'striped' wires together by twisting, and then clamp them into one side (Positive? Negative? I don't know, just pick one. We can fix it soon if we mess up!). Repeat for the other cables to complete your circuit.

Now we have to turn the lights on. If your bike didn't come with lights originally, the computer may not let you turn lights on in the settings! Don't worry, we can fix this...with an Android phone at least. Thank goodness for the wonderful folks at EMTB forums for this! (Link here: https://www.emtbforums.com/community/threads/hardwiring-lights-to-e8000.975/). That is a great thread for this as well!

We need the e-tube project app...but not the current version. For some reason, Shimano went and disabled this option in their newest app. Head to https://apkpure.com/e-tube-project-cyclist/com.shimano.etubeprojectmobile.droid.phone/versions, and download '3.4.3'. And don't update the app when you open it!

Connect your phone or tablet to your bike (this is via bluetooth). Wander your way through the bike settings and find 'enable lights'. I will try and find this and screenshot where exactly to do this later!

Once this is done, your bike computer will allow you to turn your lights on. The options are to power the lights every time the bike is turned on OR not power the lights, so unfortunately you have to go through the settings or live with 'daytime running lights'. I bet some lights have a second switch to circumvent this, but not the Kona ones :)

6. Your lights work! Now you have to mount them. If you got the Kona ones, the front light is really intended to be mounted at the base of a front fork; the rear seems to want to be on a rear fender. I don't know your bike. You figure it out. Maybe you will realize you need some different bolts. I bet some kind words and a 6 pack of beer will get you the right stuff at your LBS if you don't have a random collection of bolts around like me. Remember to leave enough cable on the front lights to accommodate turning your front wheel.

7. Tidy up. Once your lights are mounted, remember to remount your speed sensor and then tidy up the cables as required. This is where zip ties can be helpful.

8. Reattach the motor covers. If you have shifted cables around in the drive unit, you make need to tuck them back to get a good fit on the cover again. The cover may need to be 'popped' past a lip of the rest of the cover as well.

9. Confirm your bike still works with your speed sensor attached.

20220323_210241.jpg

The front right cover off with the front lighting cable strung. The lighting connections are easy to see and use. Other major cables-the big one is the cable between the battery and the motor, the two that connect right next to the lights are the computer cable and the speed sensor cable.
20220323_210253.jpg

The left rear of the drive unit. I have removed the plug around the speed sensor cable to allow me to thread the lighting cable in.
20220323_214042.jpg

Here I have used the speed sensor cable to pull my rear light cable through. A bit of tape held the lighting cable onto the speed sensor cable. Easy does it!

I'm working on something similar. I've got a DC-DC 48v>12v converter for turn signals, front and rear. Brake light and tail light. Headlight with horn and controls for all functions. A keyed ignition switch, alarm, a wireless charging phone mount. It's quite the bowl of spaghetti, but it all fits in the downtube. You really don't want pictures. LOL

I made a monster today! Frankenstein. It needs a stein holder. 120 Nm. Throttle. The HB wires are relatively clean for a Bafang build. Most are a mess. It is light kit ready, but USB lights will be cleaner. Those are 4" tires. Next is 4.7 inches. Not my thing, but who am I to say. She likes it.
1649471371046.jpeg
1649471534443.jpeg

USB lights are better. No added spaghetti.
Have to charge them separately and remove when securing bike. Hardwired lights are so much more convenient. I have mine on all time for safety.

When dismantling anything take lots of photos as you go, saves a lot of headaches during reassembly.

European online bike shops have great range of lights to choose from. Checkout Bikediscount and bike24.
Before purchasing check if your bike has wiring in place, lot bikes do now. If not buy lights cables for motor with lights.

I made a monster today! Frankenstein. It needs a stein holder. 120 Nm. Throttle. The HB wires are relatively clean for a Bafang build. Most are a mess. It is light kit ready, but USB lights will be cleaner. Those are 4" tires. Next is 4.7 inches. Not my thing, but who am I to say. She likes it.
View attachment 119261View attachment 119262
That's Very Cool - and my 1st choice with just below shoulder height bars.
As head tech for Honda motorcycles for many years late 70's thru 80's,
all wiring for any control by the factory on the bars wired internally thru the bars.

Truly hoping this is possible on most E Bikes handle bars - to route wires thru the stock bars,
or may have to go with custom butted Harley bars with fatter mounting section at risers.
Usually exit hole at the bars is elongated oval for no stress/binding,
or sharp edges, and custom grommet.
I have not made a final choice yet diving into an Ebike. I have a severe steep hill for 3-4 blocks
to consider for power/gearing options. So the torture continues. Gee,, maybe I have to look into
Half-Track series.

Custom wiring can be quite the chore anytime bars are modified, adding length to harness
internally requires stagger cutting all the wires first before soldering - then shrink tubing,
keeping the harness trim and compact just as it was stock internally.
Now connections if bars are violated by hard fall, etc,, can never make contact internally.
Fortunately not long ago, I purchased a very nice digital soldering station,
perfect for this future chore. I'm pretty sure I'd internally wire everything.
I have every intention of riding one in deep snow, and may require studs for glare ice.
I feel sad,, knowing you'll miss this option,, of below zero, and glare ice,, Lol.
Cheers

Custom wiring can be quite the chore
This is not about lights. Small USB are the way to go on that front. But, look at the wiring on this eBike. I did all through frame. It lives on a San Francisco hill. This is what a good electric bike looks like. 80Nm. This takes soldering.

Attachments

• MarinWireless1.JPG
    MarinWireless1.JPG
    353.7 KB · Views: 339
  • MarinWireless4.JPG
    MarinWireless4.JPG
    248.4 KB · Views: 370
This is not about lights. Small USB are the way to go on that front. But, look at the wiring on this eBike. I did all through frame. It lives on a San Francisco hill. This is what a good electric bike looks like. 80Nm. This takes soldering.
Very Nice - We Love Perfection @!

Back