Adding a suspension post and stem to Turbo Vado SL 4.0

Jazin

The Turbo Vado SL 4.0 does not have a suspension post or stem. I'm looking at the Redshift bundle at https://redshiftsports.com/shockstop-system. I could probably add a suspension post pretty easily. But can I also add suspension stem? Anything I need to be aware of? Or does Specialized sell the Future Shock 1.5 separately that I could install?

Last edited:
If I had your bike I'd go with the Redshift bundle. I'd contact Redshift about whether the front stem would fit your Vado SL.

If I had your bike I'd go with the Redshift bundle. I'd contact Redshift about whether the front stem would fit your Vado SL.
Thanks! I sent them an email asking them for recommendations on the sizes I would need (I don't know enough about bikes to make the correct guess).

I'd encourage getting the 5.0 out of the gate. The futureshock can't be added after the fact. The shockstop stem is pretty slick though, we've installed a few of them and folks are thrilled. Seatpost is easy on the EQ bikes as the rear light is on the fender (I think).

edit: seatpost diameter is 27.2

I'd encourage getting the 5.0 out of the gate. The futureshock can't be added after the fact. The shockstop stem is pretty slick though, we've installed a few of them and folks are thrilled. Seatpost is easy on the EQ bikes as the rear light is on the fender (I think).

edit: seatpost diameter is 27.2
I’m already about $3500 over budget, lol. So I can’t get the 5.0. Also, I already ordered the 4.0. Thanks for the advice on the shockstop.

My bike is XL and I just got a reply from Redshift...

Thanks for reaching out. The Vado seatpost diameter is the same as our ShockStop seatpost, so thats an easy switch. Per Specialized website, the Vado uses different length stems for the different size bike you purchased. Below is a copy/paste from Specialized showing the stem lengths they put on each Vado size. Currently the ShockStop stems shortest length is 90mm but we do have an 80mm coming out in the coming months. .Obviously if your bike is an XL, our 90mm would be a perfect replacement. If your on a Large, you might want to try the 90mm to see if that extra reach is something comfortable for you. If your at the S or M size, you might want to wait for the 80mm ShockStop. Make sure to follow us on social media for any and all product updates.

Vado SL stem size
Small: 60mm
Medium: 75mm
Large: 75mm
XL: 90mm

About to order the Redshift. With the 4.0 SL, the faceplate has the light adapter if I recall. Can you use the Specialized faceplate and light adapter on the Redshift itself?

About to order the Redshift. With the 4.0 SL, the faceplate has the light adapter if I recall. Can you use the Specialized faceplate and light adapter on the Redshift itself?
Not without using a plastic tie. Please see attached photo.

Attachments

• 7705C41B-3BBD-45FA-A740-60E1A383573A.jpeg
    7705C41B-3BBD-45FA-A740-60E1A383573A.jpeg
    273.8 KB · Views: 1,187
Curious how that suspension stem (Redshift) worked out on the Turbo Vado SL 4 EQ. I purchased the 4 EQ a few weeks ago (no 5's were available) and am also thinking about adding a stem riser for a more upright position. Any thoughts/recommendations? I know you can tilt the redshift 30 degrees up.

Curious how that suspension stem (Redshift) worked out on the Turbo Vado SL 4 EQ. I purchased the 4 EQ a few weeks ago (no 5's were available) and am also thinking about adding a stem riser for a more upright position. Any thoughts/recommendations? I know you can tilt the redshift 30 degrees up.
The redshift comes in a 30 degree position, they aren't adjustable in terms of tilt. You can install them up or down but that's it. If you want more upright start with the 30 degree model and see how it feels. You could also consider different bars with a bit more sweep like the FSA Metropolis. Don't want to go too nuts as you'll need longer brake hose and shift cable/housing.

I needed to move the bars up and back since the only size Vado SL 5 available was an XL. I replaced the grips with the SQ Trekking 702 grips. They are a more contoured than Ergon grips but similar and much better than stock.

You can select bars with different rise and sweeps. I also shortened the bars since I didn't need the MTB width and it makes it easier to get in the car.

Thanks! I sent them an email asking them for recommendations on the sizes I would need (I don't know enough about bikes to make the correct guess).
Hey Jazin,

I know it has been a while since this topic but I am about to order a stem and seatpost from Redshift.

Not quite sure what size should I choose. Can you help me find the correct sizes? Appreciate it!

Stem Angle & Length?
The ShockStop is available in two different Steer Clamp options: 1-1/8” and the new 1-1/4”
Seatpost Diameter & Length?
+/-6 degrees in 80mm
Need a Handlebar Shim?
?
Need a Seatpost Shim?
?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 15.30.57.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 15.30.57.png
    389.5 KB · Views: 56
I moved my Redhsift stem and seatpost from another bike to my 4.0 SL EQ so they were not bought specifically for this bike, but here is what I have on a large frame.

Stem
1 1/8 - 90mm

Seatpost
27.2 - 280mm

I'm 183cm tall, and this all works for me. Lengths may vary for your specific fit and frame size.

Proven answers:
  • Yes, the Specialized dealer can replace the existing stem and fork with the Future Shock 1.5 and the carbon fork. The cost of the parts alone starts at US$750.
  • It is possible to install any Redshift ShockStop stem. The user may select the stem length and angle the best matching their body fit. The only issue is relocating the headlight onto a GoPro handlebar mount. This has been discussed in several places of these Forums.
  • For Vado SL 4.0 non-EQ, the Redshift ShockStop suspension seat-post cannot be installed. The issue is the tail-light wire that cannot go through the internals of the RS SS seat-post. The only option is a Kinekt 2.1 suspension post with a hole drilled in the tube to let the tail-lightwire pass the seatpost tube towards the rear of the saddle. Vado SL 4.0 EQ can be equipped with a RS SS seat-post.

Proven answers:
  • For Vado SL 4.0 non-EQ, the Redshift ShockStop suspension seat-post cannot be installed. The issue is the tail-light wire that cannot go through the internals of the RS SS seat-post. The only option is a Kinekt 2.1 suspension post with a hole drilled in the tube to let the tail-lightwire pass the seatpost tube towards the rear of the saddle. Vado SL 4.0 EQ can be equipped with a RS SS seat-post.
This is easily overcome, as I did it on my wife's Como - not the same bike, but the principle is.

Run the tailight cable out through a gap in the plastic motor cover, or very carefully drill or punch a hole in the plastic. Then you can run the wire wherever you want - I ran it along the non-drive chainstay, up the rack, and mounted the stock light on the back of the rack. Secure and prettify the cable as you see fit. FWIW, on our bike, the taaillight cable that was run up through the seatpost had some simple unsoldered/uncrimped connectors, a slight tug separated them.

After staring at the bike for an hour trying to work out a solution, this took 20 minutes.

Back