Adding a secondary motor?

EBRQuest

I'm mulling over different combinations of builds I could do in my head these last few weeks. I could not find this specifically. Does anyone know if the controller on a standard bike comes equipped with the ability to take current generated by a motor and find a way to recycle or dump the energy? Reason why I'm asking is in the case of adding a mid-drive to a rear hub driven e-bike. It would be cool to have the option of using one or both motors. That would require the controller being able to handle reverse current flow, or a decoupler. Does anyone have experience with this?

1598200103987.png

People do two wheel drive for traction, or for show, Mid drive with a rear hub drive is primarily for show. The parts are there though.

Some controllers have the ability to invoke regeneration when options are set, so applying brakes will send current from the motor into the battery while also inducing enough back EMF to brake.. My $25 KT controllers have this capability. I'll never use it. You will need a direct drive motor to make that happen. So you'll want the direct deivw motor and the appropriate controller.

Another approach is a geared motor with a full time clutch. These are intended for cargo bikes, as the drag from a full time clutch would make for terrible recreational and sport riding. It could be addressed with a controller programmed to power the motor when coasting, so that it would not drag. OK for a guy pulling a load of tomatoes, but too complicated for a regular bike in my opinion.

Personally, I feel regen is over rated, and fairly useless to riders in flat areas. If you ride in a locale where you are constantly riding the brakes, maybe regenerative braking is for you.

I rode 2 Big Bud fat bikes a couple years ago. The single Brose mid drive would out climb their 2 wheel drive hub motor version. Just a gimmick, or a more serious snow machine, but everything about other uses is useless.

Personally, I feel regen is over rated, and fairly useless to riders in flat areas.
I find regen braking a real winner. My work and errand bike have front rim brake and a rear coaster brake, activating the front MXUS direct-drive regen provides the added braking needed to safely stop at top speeds of 25-28MPH.

Back