Adding a light powered off the battery pack

CylingInSeattle

I've been riding my ODK V3 a few months now and am generally happy with it except for the omission of a lighting system beyond the rear LED. Now that it's getting dark quite early here up in Seattle, I'm in search of a solution.

For a few years now I've had a dynamo-powered B&M front/back light set on my manual pedal bike and have become quite spoiled with it. The most similar setup possible on the ODK, as far as I can think of, is to get one of B&M's 6V-75V e-bike models and install that. Now before I go out and drop the money on that, the question is how do you link in to draw power from the battery for the light--specifically how do it on the ODK?

I've been riding my ODK V3 a few months now and am generally happy with it except for the omission of a lighting system beyond the rear LED. Now that it's getting dark quite early here up in Seattle, I'm in search of a solution.

For a few years now I've had a dynamo-powered B&M front/back light set on my manual pedal bike and have become quite spoiled with it. The most similar setup possible on the ODK, as far as I can think of, is to get one of B&M's 6V-75V e-bike models and install that. Now before I go out and drop the money on that, the question is how do you link in to draw power from the battery for the light--specifically how do it on the ODK?
If you haven't already purchased the B&M system, Tora, at Juiced Riders, has a system for the ODK that ties into the bike's battery via a special cable harness. This system is wired so that not only can you plug in the light, but it also has a pigtail for you to power anything up to 100 watts. I was talking to Tora at Juiced Riders headquarters this afternoon. This system isn't listed on his website, so I can't say if it's ready to go or not, but he's already installing it on some test bikes. It's a powerful light, and he said he's going to offer it for a competitive price.

In the end I went to the shop I bought the bike from (G & O Family Cyclery) and spoke with them about a lighting system. They had already been in contact with Tora and ordered some of the wire harnesses you mentioned.

They've been testing out lighting systems on some Juiced Riders they sold to a local delivery company, so I had them put me together a lighting kit based on their experiments with the fleet bikes. In the end they gave me a B&M front, Grin rear, and some marine LEDs they picked up from a local yacht store, in addition to a Grin DC converter and the aforementioned wire harness.

It all works pretty well, though I'm thinking that I may eventually want to figure out a way to diffuse the marine LEDs a bit. I'm open to suggestions on that end.

bike lights before install.jpg bike lights.jpg

In the end I went to the shop I bought the bike from (G & O Family Cyclery) and spoke with them about a lighting system. They had already been in contact with Tora and ordered some of the wire harnesses you mentioned.

They've been testing out lighting systems on some Juiced Riders they sold to a local delivery company, so I had them put me together a lighting kit based on their experiments with the fleet bikes. In the end they gave me a B&M front, Grin rear, and some marine LEDs they picked up from a local yacht store, in addition to a Grin DC converter and the aforementioned wire harness.

It all works pretty well, though I'm thinking that I may eventually want to figure out a way to diffuse the marine LEDs a bit. I'm open to suggestions on that end.

View attachment 5074 View attachment 5075
I like the system you have; I wouldn't change anything. People will definitely be able to see you coming and going with that much light. It's great to have a battery large enough to allow the use of these kinds of powerful lighting and accessory options, isn't it?

Back