ABUS frame locks for Vado/Como have arrived (and they fit/work!)

GuruUno

Nice.......
IMG_1838.jpg
IMG_1841.jpg

Did you choose the key-retaining or non-retaining models?

My wife has a key-retaining version on her bike and it’s nice that she needn’t remember to bring the key.

I’m curious as to any reasons to choose the non-retaining. (general question)

Key removal model. I did not want to worry that while stopped briefly someone could engage the lock and leave with the key. I added a stretchy lanyard and have a snap hook inside a burrito handlebar bag where it resides. I also have another stretchy band that I place over the hoods on my Creo to remind me that I have engaged the lock so I don't accidentally bash the spokes.

Key removal model. I did not want to worry that while stopped briefly someone could engage the lock and leave with the key. I added a stretchy lanyard and have a snap hook inside a burrito handlebar bag where it resides. I also have another stretchy band that I place over the hoods on my Creo to remind me that I have engaged the lock so I don't accidentally bash the spokes.

Genuine question - in what situation do you think that might occur?

I think I've seen you post that before, and I've thought about that possibility -- but haven't figured out when/where in my usage that could happen. Only times I'd leave a bike unattended and without the frame lock engaged would be in my home garage or when locked to the bike carrier. With my wife's bike's frame lock I immediately ordered a couple extra keys to keep in our two vehicles with the fourth key kept at home, so if someone did steal the frame lock key she wouldn't be stuck. I'd plan to do the same with whichever frame lock I order for my Vado.

Genuine question - in what situation do you think that might occur?

I think I've seen you post that before, and I've thought about that possibility -- but haven't figured out when/where in my usage that could happen. Only times I'd leave a bike unattended and without the frame lock engaged would be in my home garage or when locked to the bike carrier. With my wife's bike's frame lock I immediately ordered a couple extra keys to keep in our two vehicles with the fourth key kept at home, so if someone did steal the frame lock key she wouldn't be stuck. I'd plan to do the same with whichever frame lock I order for my Vado.
In my paranoid dreams. But pranks do happen. Although, if I recall I can leave the key in anyway.

Frankly, I'd always preferred combination locks since there was no key to lose. I would always keep my cable-combination locks locked so that I could only use it if I remembered the combination. I will admit that my first cable-combo lock had a combo I could reset and I used the serial number of the skis that I locked up. Since then all such locks have had that combo!!!

Looking forward to seeing the "installed" photos. I'm trying to decide which of the Abus models I want to get for my Vado.

Thanks for sharing the pics. Do you think the chain ABUS makes to plug into the lock will be long enough to secure the front wheel to the frame? I already have an ABUS folding lock that can make it through the rear wheel, frame, and a standard bike rack. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Thanks for sharing the pics. Do you think the chain ABUS makes to plug into the lock will be long enough to secure the front wheel to the frame? I already have an ABUS folding lock that can make it through the rear wheel, frame, and a standard bike rack. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

The Abus 100cm 6KS chain with my 5755L frame lock *just* reaches far enough to secure the front wheel, I'm not sure the 85cm version would be long enough. You'd also need to be right next to the end of the bike rack or whatever narrow pole you were locking to for there to be enough room to go around it.

Depending on your situation, if you're concerned about theft of the front wheel*, you might consider using your folding lock around the front wheel & downtube or perhaps a small chain lock.

(*) is theft of a thru-axle-mounted fairly generic front wheel much of a thing - other than the places where bike / component theft is a significant problem? I get that some folks will dick around with a QR skewer mounted wheel just to be azzholes, but do they tend to carry 6mm hex wrenches around?

The Abus 100cm 6KS chain with my 5755L frame lock *just* reaches far enough to secure the front wheel, I'm not sure the 85cm version would be long enough. You'd also need to be right next to the end of the bike rack or whatever narrow pole you were locking to for there to be enough room to go around it.

Depending on your situation, if you're concerned about theft of the front wheel*, you might consider using your folding lock around the front wheel & downtube or perhaps a small chain lock.

(*) is theft of a thru-axle-mounted fairly generic front wheel much of a thing - other than the places where bike / component theft is a significant problem? I get that some folks will dick around with a QR skewer mounted wheel just to be azzholes, but do they tend to carry 6mm hex wrenches around?
Thanks for the info. There are parts of Cleveland that I frequent that yes anything and everything will be stolen. I am looking for a better solution than a cable for the front wheel.

Yep my gazelle medeo t10+ came with one. Bought the accessory 100mm chain too. Excellent quality a d I love the key retention!

Likewise. I chose the key-retaining version intentionally. Key is always with the bike until I lock it, then take the key with me clipping to a carabiner key fob I keep in the trunk bag.

If I carried a keyring regularly - where I could keep a frame lock key - then I could see where I might prefer a non-retaining version.

Back