Abus Cafe Style (Frame Lock) on Como 4.0?

Nwr2339

Anyone been able to successfully apply an Abus cafe lock (Frame Lock) to a Como 4.0? A friend who bought a 4.0 and 5.0 said the shop couldn't get it to fit right on the 4.0 and the 5.0 was difficult. He couldn't give me specifics though. I'm getting ready to order some Key Alike Abus locks and wanted to include the Shield Plus 5750 NR BK or Pro Shield Plus 5950 NR B for those quick stops.

NOTE: My LBS is useless. I'm going to have to order them myself. My friends bike shop is 2.5 hours away.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Anyone been able to successfully apply an Abus cafe lock (Frame Lock) to a Como 4.0? A friend who bought a 4.0 and 5.0 said the shop couldn't get it to fit right on the 4.0 and the 5.0 was difficult. He couldn't give me specifics though. I'm getting ready to order some Key Alike Abus locks and wanted to include the Shield Plus 5750 NR BK or Pro Shield Plus 5950 NR B for those quick stops.

NOTE: My LBS is useless. I'm going to have to order them myself. My friends bike shop is 2.5 hours away.

Thanks!
This thread discusses the fit issues with the Abus cage locks and the Vado frame inserts, https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/abus-cafe-lock-advice-for-vado.33135/ . Basically the spacing of the frame inserts doesn't match the mounting slots in the Abus locks. There are a couple of work arounds including using the Abus mounting kit instead of the frame inserts, grinding the Abus slots to match the frame inserts and mounting the lock on an angle to increase the distance between slots.

I chose to grind the slots in the lock to match the frame. Didn't take too long. Looks good. The locks have been mounted for some months now with no issues.

This thread discusses the fit issues with the Abus cage locks and the Vado frame inserts, https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/abus-cafe-lock-advice-for-vado.33135/ . Basically the spacing of the frame inserts doesn't match the mounting slots in the Abus locks. There are a couple of work arounds including using the Abus mounting kit instead of the frame inserts, grinding the Abus slots to match the frame inserts and mounting the lock on an angle to increase the distance between slots.

I chose to grind the slots in the lock to match the frame. Didn't take too long. Looks good. The locks have been mounted for some months now with no issues.

Thank you so much for this. I tried searching the forum a couple times and didn't seem to find it. Must have had the wrong keywords or didn't look hard enough.

looks like I can make it work though. I have a dremel and could do basically the same as in the pictures you showed. Might tell my friend to do the same and send him a link to that thread though. maybe he can get his to work so it's not a total loss of money.

Back