A Teenager Hit Six Cyclists While Trying To Roll Coal And Was Not Arrested

I believe anyone charged with something like vehicular homicide or the like should NEVER be allowed to have a driver's license again. Period. I include multiple DWIs in that as well.
Yeah, yeah, I know many would just drive without a license. Get caught doing that and see what I think ought to bestowed upon you. CN

I believe anyone charged with something like vehicular homicide or the like should NEVER be allowed to have a driver's license again. Period. I include multiple DWIs in that as well.
Yeah, yeah, I know many would just drive without a license. Get caught doing that and see what I think ought to bestowed upon you. CN
Here in the Detroit area, it's not real unusual to have somebody pulled over for a DWI only to find they haven't had a license for years because it's been revoked so many times. On top of that, they may have 15 or 20 previous DWI's, including those that he/she hasn't even been to trial on yet. You would think they might hold somebody like that, right? Nope. These guys are released on their own recognizance within hours of being arrested. Why? Jail over crowding......

My wife doesn't like it when I say it.....but I'm telling you....internment camps are the model. You could keep as many people as want to be criminals, undermine our society, as want to. Show some respect for criminals - let them make their choice, then respect it.

So you're saying the fact he's 16 should allow him to still be walking around as if nothing happened if he shot somebody? What the difference? That kid needs some of the right kind of attention....
It depends if he shot someone by accident or on purpose. As I understand it he was doing something stupid that led to an accident which would be the equivalent of cleaning a loaded gun that went off and injured someone. I've read a few stories of that happening over the years but have not heard of anyone being arrested for it.

There may well be an unacceptable reasons the kid was released on scene, but there could be legitimate reasons too. The whole point of arrest for the majority of incidents is to ensure you can determine identity and compel appearance at future court proceedings. If the cop was satisfied that there would be no continuation of an offence (the kid was sobbing and clearly knew he f'd up), his parents were on-scene before the cops (meaning they could prove identity, and assume responsibility for him), and he was not any kind of flight risk (minor living at home with mom and dad who may be known and established in the community - and be compelled to ensure he shows up to court). If yes to everything, there is no need to arrest him. If he had killed somebody or, it looked likely, there may be value in processing him before release just for the public perception, but there is also significant negative impact to dropping a minor teenager in holding cells and putting him through the whole process 'just because'. The days of scaring kids straight are long gone, as it's widely known that at least for first offenders there is just as much chance that the stigma and overall experience can actually create a permanent criminal reputation for these kids and make it harder for them to clean-up so to speak. It can take years for the courts to finish the job, and the minor teen that commits the offence is often a completely different adult by then.

Or it could just be a lazy or unacceptably sympathetic cop who didn't want to try and charge him...

I just read the story of today in the Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/09/30/texas-teen-coal-rolls-hits-bicyclists/
"Tension between drivers and cyclists is not new in Waller County. Victor Tome killed two riders in 2017 when he intentionally plowed into a small group of them. He was convicted of capital murder and, earlier this year, sentenced to life in prison without parole, something the Waller County district attorney’s office pointed to as proof that it takes attacks on cyclists seriously."

Keep in mind too that the lack of arrest or charges doesn't absolve him of civil liability, which could include property damage, medical costs and lost wages. It will impact the family's insurance costs. Might even exceed policy limits and push the family into bankruptcy.

Yes, but he did not even get a ticket at the scene. Not even a fix-it ticket. Unlawful modifications were made to the truck to 'roll coal.' Why? Because it was premeditated.

Yes, but he did not even get a ticket at the scene. Not even a fix-it ticket. Unlawful modifications were made to the truck to 'roll coal.' Why? Because it was premeditated.
Just remember, things are different down in Texas. You either love it or hate it. I suspect cycling is considered a yankee sport. They don't like yankee things down there!

My wife doesn't like it when I say it.....but I'm telling you....internment camps are the model.
We have a large internment camp. It is called Texas. I can hear a Texan in the office across the hall coughing his head off right now. He talks about automatic weapons, drives a huge truck like an angry nut case, and will not put on a mask or get the jab.
The auto insurance company will not pay. The parents are on the hook. The policy is void for at least two reasons. 1) Insurance does not cover an auto used during the commission of a crime whether it is an assault or a bank robbery. 2) Material Misrepresentation. The engine modification increases liability and the insurer was not notified of the unlawful modification under Texas Transp Code Section 547.605, which also voided the Mfg warrantee on the truck.

Last edited:
On another forum not related to biking, a tractor forum, this topic got a lot of talk. The debate turned into a few people bashing bicyclists. I was a little disappointed in some of the responses, people talking about large groups blocking traffic, kicking cars, riding on roads they shouldn’t be. Most of the forum members, including myself and other riders defended bicycle riders. Like all sectors, there are probably a few idiots also in the biking world.

On the subject of Texas, this forum seems to have something against the state. I’m a little disappointed with some comments bashing the entire state and it’s population. I’m not from Texas but have visited and the people there seemed as normal and as nice as other places I have visited. They have there share of rednecks but most states do.

An accomplished Special Prosecutor has been assigned to the Coal Rolling Teen case. Driver may not get off so lightly after all. https://jalopnik.com/waller-county-assigns-special-prosecutor-to-coal-rollin-1847811178
The assignment of an outside Special Prosecutor, the mention of 'family associations' along with the lack of any ticket at the scene makes me suspect that the assailant may be a close relative of a prominent law enforcement figure. Under Texas law, "A law enforcement officer may take a juvenile into custody if there is probable cause to believe that the juvenile violated a criminal law.." There had to be a corrupted reason this did not happen at the scene.

On another forum not related to biking, a tractor forum, this topic got a lot of talk. The debate turned into a few people bashing bicyclists. I was a little disappointed in some of the responses, people talking about large groups blocking traffic, kicking cars, riding on roads they shouldn’t be. Most of the forum members, including myself and other riders defended bicycle riders. Like all sectors, there are probably a few idiots also in the biking world.

On the subject of Texas, this forum seems to have something against the state. I’m a little disappointed with some comments bashing the entire state and it’s population. I’m not from Texas but have visited and the people there seemed as normal and as nice as other places I have visited. They have there share of rednecks but most states do.
I lived there. It was a happy day when I crossed the border in leaving Texas. Where else would a 2nd grader receive anti-Semitic comments in a public school? Where else would they tie a person of color to a truck and drag him to his death?

I guess you need to have lived and worked there to understand the place. You didn't.

We have a large internment camp. It is called Texas. I can hear a Texan in the office across the hall coughing his head off right now. He talks about automatic weapons, drives a huge truck like an angry nut case, and will not put on a mask or get the jab.
The auto insurance company will not pay. The parents are on the hook. The policy is void for at least two reasons. 1) Insurance does not cover an auto used during the commission of a crime whether it is an assault or a bank robbery. 2) Material Misrepresentation. The engine modification increases liability and the insurer was not notified of the unlawful modification under Texas Transp Code Section 547.605, which also voided the Mfg warrantee on the truck.

Wellllll thats actually incorrect on both counts. I'm the tech/knowledge lead for a classic/exotic/modified specialty auto insurance program and I have been involved at the regulatory level (filing the applications with the states for approval, and the insurance program overall including the policy forms, which in some cases I have helped write) and the individual legal level to determine if misrep applies.

First, on commission of a crime: No such provision exists in the standard Texas Personal Auto Policy form or Amendatory endorsement. Its also not in the industry-standard policy that makes up the core language in most other states. Here's the reason why: Such a provision could leave injured 3rd parties with no way to recover expenses for severe bodily injury. Years ago a regulator told me a similar provision "creates an uninsured motorist" which is generally forbidden. There is however a specific exclusion for fraudulent acts associated with any accident or loss.

Does that mean it exists in no policy anywhere? No. 'manuscript' policies exist that were written entirely by the insurance company rather than using the standard wording as their basis. Such policies are - in today's world - scrutinized microscopically. I did see a policy many years ago that excluded criminal acts and specifically mentioned a drunk driving exclusion. But a policy like that would never fly today. I'll skip the details on that ;-).. As a further caveat, while I reviewed the standard policy and TX Amendatory, there is an Amendatory Endorsement for every state (which describes the amendments to the standard policy form required by each state's unique regulations) and such a thing might be hiding in one of them. But honestly based on experience, I really doubt it. It goes against the protection of the populace from some butthead who runs amok and regulators tend to universally hold that as a primary guiding principle.

Material Misrep: The "material" part of that is often mistaken for meaning that something material was misrepresented. Unless Texas is unique (which it is in many ways in the insurance industry), the "material" part means the standard for insurance claims: "material to the accident at hand". So... did the lie pertain to something that either caused the accident or somehow contributed to it? If yes to either then thats a yes to material misrep. If the smoke obscured the driver's vision for example and caused him to unknowingly run someone over. On the other hand if the vehicle had some other mod that was unreported, like I dunno wheelie bars and a parachute (I've seen that in real life) then that mod will not trigger any issues with this incident since it had no materiality to said incident.

BUT... for misrep to be material, there has to be something misrepresented, and just the existence of the contributing/causing mod does not mean failure to volunteer its existence creates misrep. Generally, an insurance application has a question on it that says "is the vehicle modified in any way?" If the applicant (likely Daddy) said no to this, then bam thats a form of misrepresentation. However if the mod did not exist at the time of the insurance application, then there was no misrep. BUT if the application contains a stipulation that all future mods will be volunteered to the ins. co. for evaluation then a somewhat murky case for misrep exists - mostly because there are legal issues associated with trying to say that to an applicant.

There is a famous (in insurance) case where a lifted truck ran over someone's foot (Mercury v. Markham), and caused a whole lot of pain/suffering/lawsuits. Mercury Insurance said no way because of the material misrep of the applicant saying 'no' to the modified? question on the app. they rescinded the policy as if it never existed and returned the premium saying they never would have covered him if they had known about the mod. But the applicant said "hey wait my agent said don't worry about that question' and also 'the agent is an agent of the company so screw you you have to cover me'. This caused a lot of discussion (and appeals) as to whether the agent was an agent of the company or an agent for the consumer, along with a lot of other stuff. Point being... its never cut and dried.

Last edited:
Well Retired in NH, I’m glad we have an expert here on Texas to set me straight. Since you put it that way I agree with you. It’s not a 16 year olds fault driving a jacked up pickup, its a Texas problem. If he had a little more time he would have hog tied the injured bikers and drug them to death behind his pickup.

I just don’t like it when people paint broad brush strokes on a region or in this case an entire state. I assume you live in New Hampshire. If I said a bunch of gun grabbing liberal pickup hating hacks live there is that a fair statement? You also don’t know what my knowledge of Texas is. This is about a 16 year old kid screwing around, not about any given state.

Well Retired in NH, I’m glad we have an expert here on Texas to set me straight. Since you put it that way I agree with you. It’s not a 16 year olds fault driving a jacked up pickup, its a Texas problem. If he had a little more time he would have hog tied the injured bikers and drug them to death behind his pickup.

I just don’t like it when people paint broad brush strokes on a region or in this case an entire state. I assume you live in New Hampshire. If I said a bunch of gun grabbing liberal pickup hating hacks live there is that a fair statement? You also don’t know what my knowledge of Texas is. This is about a 16 year old kid screwing around, not about any given state.
You could make such a statement. I see you don't like it when people disagree with you. Texas's pathologies are well known, and discussed in a number of places. I'm hardly an outlier. You're entitled to not like what I said, just like I'm entitled to say it. No one says we must agree.

Back