A 'real' flat-resistant tire?

An article on ebike use in Washington DC yesterday led me to the specs on this new company's in-house ebike, the Riide. Altho' the specs offered are minimal (you will find them at the bottom of the linked home page), they mention:
"BOMBPROOF TIRES
Make flat tires a thing of the past. Riide is equipped with Schwalbe Energizer Plus tires designed specifically for electric bikes."

What's the general sentiment about these tires from those of you who have tried them? Better? And why?

Thanks, everyone!

Jack
Use them and huge fan, as no flats yet after a few hundred miles of city biking. San Francisco is leading city of car window smash and grab robberies so you literally ride on broken glass everywhere. Using 700X38C version so was concerned that I'd have flats everyday, but so far so good!

I've been running the Marathon Greenguards on my other commuter for 2 winters now with ZERO flats. Really handle nice and feel confident cornering on any surface. Here in Seattle a lot of stuff gets washed to the side of the road and my experience has been in the past 4 to 5 flats a winter. Here is a great site that now has a section specific to E-Bikes - http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/.

Back to Schwalbe tires: It looks like their Marathon Plus might be the tire chosen by the Riide folks. Schwalbe claims it is the "The only true flat-less tire...." They do give it their highest rating re: "protection". However, it still depends on a pressurized tube, so perhaps a little hyperbole? Has anyone here used these?

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
Jack

I've used both the Marathon Plus and the Big Apple Plus with no flats yet. I think they are very reliable tires and I hate changing flats, so I don't say that lightly.
There is truth in their slogan , because: by "flat-less", they mean "less flats" not "no flats" (hence the hyphen). Still, a huge improvement over some other tires!

I've used both the Marathon Plus and the Big Apple Plus with no flats yet. I think they are very reliable tires and I hate changing flats, so I don't say that lightly.
There is truth in their slogan , because: by "flat-less", they mean "less flats" not "no flats" (hence the hyphen). Still, a huge improvement over some other tires!
+1

@HelloEbike, the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires are the gold standard for electric bikes. They're a more sturdy construct to handle the stresses of a hub motor, especially rear motors and the needs of commuters or hard riders who put in a bunch of miles. It's a bit heavier tire; however, if you don't want to have a flat out riding, it's a good choice, especially if combined with a thorn resistant tube and some sort of tire liner, like a Mr. Tuffy or one of the clones.

@Ann M. - I only used the Schwalbe Marathon Plus HS 440 tires. I didn't even use a thorn resistant tube or any sort of tire liner in combination with the Schwalbe Marathon Plus HS 440. From my personal experience, I haven't had any flats for over two years of using exclusively Schwalbe Marathon Plus HS 440 tires.

I had 3 flats with stock Kenda tires within the first 500 miles. Switched to Marathon Plus, and after 1,100 miles on them, nary a flat. I don't notice the weight, and they roll better than the Kenda did.

An article on ebike use in Washington DC yesterday led me to the specs on this new company's in-house ebike, the Riide. Altho' the specs offered are minimal (you will find them at the bottom of the linked home page), they mention:
"BOMBPROOF TIRES
Make flat tires a thing of the past. Riide is equipped with Schwalbe Energizer Plus tires designed specifically for electric bikes."

What's the general sentiment about these tires from those of you who have tried them? Better? And why?

Thanks, everyone!

Jack
Wants to know real flat resistance tyre for your bike
So we here for your bike and for your bike safety also your safety
visit this site for more details;- http://www.pioneercastors.net/solid-rubber-tyre-wheels.php

My bike has the Schwalbe Marathon tires. I think they rate them 4/5 for flat resistance. They have a 3mm built in liner whereas the Marathon Plus has a 5mm liner and can drive over tacks with no problem. As for the tires I like them a lot. They seem not to wear at all after 500 miles, look good and grip pavement very well. My bike is a Magnum Metro Plus. Magnum seems to use Schwalbe tires on all there bikes.

Jack ...
Here is a link to Schwalbe's puncture protection ratings : Schwalbe Protection .
  • Only Marathon Plus tyres are rated 7 or "flat-less" (presumably claiming to have "less" - meaning fewer - flats rather than "without flats").
  • Energiser Plus tyres are rated 5.
Below is a photo of my Trek Powerfly 5 before it was treated to a set of Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB tyres.
bontrager_flat_400.jpg

The bike is in pull-apart state in order to be taken home by taxi. Its Bontrager front tyre had expired upon spying a thorn, or something equally scary, along the track. This flimsy tyre was thereupon determinedly resolute in staying attached to the rim. Regular tyre levers could not budge it; they couldn't even separate tyre from rim in order to commence levering.

And that brings us to the Proform tyre lever that Eddie mentioned above. Hopefully, it is both sufficiently persuasive (to press both sides of the tyre inward, and away, from the rim) and light (to take along on a ride). Here is a link to Pedal Revolution, UK that shows various levers including the Park Tools TPS1 that I used to unseat the recalcitrant Bontrager tyre back home - in the photo of the TPS1, you can see how the two sides of the tyre are being clamped together to force them inward and away from the rim. The Proform magic lever costs around 10 UKP, plus the same for postage - and the last one was sold whilst I was writing this post!
... David

Last edited by a moderator:
Back