A new solid tire that might actually work

Link fixed.
thank you! I wonder if these tires are "thermoplastic" or "thermosetting"? Most tires these days are of "thermosetting" compounds which makes these things very hard to "remold", I may have missed it during the presentation, He did say they are 100% recyclable(Yay!)

Last edited:
Advancement in airless tire design is welcome but the tires he is promoting are very similar to Tannus in construction, weight and his crude bounce test. He did like the ride better with the new tires vs Tannus so that is a plus if others confirm that impression. I have a few Tannus airless tires - they were all very difficult to install, they are lighter than combined tire/tube (compared to the schwalbe marathon and specialized armadillo tires with standard tubes that they replaced). Mine aren't fully broken in yet (60 miles per Tannus) because I had to repair the freehub on that wheelset so I switched back to the original tires on the stock wheelset that I had lying around. Rolling resistance does feel significantly greater so far but not as much as I originally thought. On the current wheelset I reduced tire pressure to 80psi which is supposed to be the Tannus equivalent and less than I usually run. At 80psi rolling resistance in my regular tires seemed closer to the Tannus. I usually run the max 85 psi in the marathon and 100 psi in the armadillo. Tannus ride is essentially the same on smooth pavement but harsher on rough pavement or packed gravel than the marathon at 85 psi. The armadillo at 100psi isn't better than the tannus on rough surfaces. I fixed the freehub on the wheelset with tannus installed and am looking forward to riding again with no tire pressure checks and no risk of flats. That's my impression anyway, maybe it will change with more experience riding the tannus.
Tannus is currently discounting its airless tires from $80 to $34 (which is why I bought them), I wonder if that is to be more competitive with this new tire or if they have an improved tire in the works.

PS my tannus tires are 700x40c but only measure a couple mm wider than the Marathon and about a mm wider than the armadillo, both of those are 700x35c.
On another bike I have run 700x32c Gatorskin tires at 103psi, rolling resistance on smooth surfaces is great but the ride is extremely harsh on rough tarmac, railroad tracks, gravel etc. It all depends on what the most desired characteristic is, different tire types and sizes all seem to have their limitations and compromises.

Last edited:
One of the big drawbacks for solid bike tires is as they wear the center of the tire 'flattens out', which increases the amount of tread making contact with the road, which also increases drag and degrades the bike's handling.

Back