A Canadian Folk Legend Passes Away

Prairie Dog

Region
Canada
City
Red Deer
Sad indeed! I remember “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” as a song that always seemed to haunt me. I am a musician, and love how the power of music can stir your inner sole. My wife and I visited the shipwreck museum in Whitefish Point, Michigan where this song was played over and over. Great little museum with a lot of information on this vessel. The bell was even recovered from the ship and was used for the funerals of the crew members of the ship and their families As I recall.

…and the hit list keeps growing. Circa 1974. I wasn’t even old enough to drive but if I was this would have been near the top of my 8 track playlist. ;)

I may have to drop in to a local vinyl store to see if I can find any of his albums…yeah good luck with that. :rolleyes:

I’m sure I have a few next to my Ian & Sylvia.
Hang on to those treasures. Any chance you’ve got some Anne Murray in your collection?

Unlike Mr. Lightfoot, Ian Tyson’s death last year almost seemed to pass by without much attention with exception perhaps from his most ardent fans. Maybe it was a result of their split up back in the 70s as they were a force together. Without a doubt, Four Strong Winds remains the all time classic during their career performances as a duo. Neil Young does a nice rendition.

Back