A better Abound tire

spokewrench

Region
USA
Within my first 30 miles, a worn, rounded particle of glass, like a grain of sand, lodged in the rubber of my rear tire and ended up puncturing the tube. A lot of ebike tires have very little puncture resistance, but this took the cake. I bought a Schwalbe Pick-up, advertised for puncture resistance on cargo bikes. To my surprise, it's only 100 grams (8%) heavier than the flimsy tire. The sidewalls are about as supple, for low rolling resistance, but the crown is stiffer. I think it must have more puncture protection than the advertised two layers of cords at 67 EPI. I haven't noticed any increase in rolling resistance.

On re-inspection, I see that the "grain of sand" cut at least one thread in the OEM carcass. It seems to have one layer of cords at about 25 EPI, which more than one source says means very poor quality. I could get a better count if I cut it open. It seems a shame to destroy a new tire, but I'm not going to ride on it, and I can't think of anyone I hate enough to give it to.

Back