80% charged

joeyd50

I was reading you shouldn't store your battery 100% charged but store it 80% charged, are there chargers you can control the charge?
Thanks
Joe

Long term storage is best at 50%, max battery life is when the daily charging is kept between 20-80%.

Is there a easy way to accomplish this with out buying a $300 charger?
Thanks
Joe
Some people do several charges and calculate time for the charge rate. They measure the battery level with a multi-meter and develop a time/charge rate calculation. Then they use a timer to run the charger for that amount of time. It takes some tweaking on the time, but it's definitely cheaper than a $300 charger.

The Luna 48volt charger (80%, 90%, 100% selectable) is now $85. It can charge from between 1-5 amps, also selectable. They also make 36volt and 52volt versions.

They also make "mini" versions. Same charge limit selection, but top out at 3 amps instead of 5 amps. About $60.

Thanks for that, been waiting for them to make a mulitvoltage charger since they stopped selling the 240v version

Some people do several charges and calculate time for the charge rate. They measure the battery level with a multi-meter and develop a time/charge rate calculation. Then they use a timer to run the charger for that amount of time. It takes some tweaking on the time, but it's definitely cheaper than a $300 charger.
I have quite a few acquaintances that have done just that. Multimeter and plug-in timer and a little experimenting and it becomes very easy and predictable.

My Luna 48V charger arrived and apparently it is incompatible with Aventon's battery. It will shut off and on and off and on and off and on etc when the battery reaches 100% charge (Luna recommended that I unplug it when the battery is full, as if I'm waiting around for it to be fully charged). It also charged the battery to 100% when set on 80%.

So I'm returning it. Customer service has been snippy and unhelpful so far (this is my fault??).

Thanks
Joe
You are misinterpreting 20%-80% All that's really required is don't consistently over charge them : Charging is full and leaving it on Is a bad idea : What I gathered from this article isn't that you don't fully charge it : But to charge it before it's at 0% and not until it's just under *80% : Best to charge when 30%-80% : Here's a good thread https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/e-bike-battery-guide.24443/

So I'm returning it. Customer service has been snippy and unhelpful so far (this is my fault??).
Everyone is happy with Luna until there is a warranty issue. I'd head over to their forum. Make some noise and maybe they'll get off the high horse.

My Luna 48V charger arrived and apparently it is incompatible with Aventon's battery. It will shut off and on and off and on and off and on etc when the battery reaches 100% charge (Luna recommended that I unplug it when the battery is full, as if I'm waiting around for it to be fully charged). It also charged the battery to 100% when set on 80%.

Mine is doing the same thing. How did you get in touch with them? I used their site contact form and got no reply. I just called them twice and was disconnected both times. I just went to the Discussion by Brand & User Reviews for Luna and there is nothing there for them. What an outfit!

Tony at support@lunacycle has corresponded with me. Here's what he wrote to me on March 14:
"What kind of battery are you using with this charger? Is it one of ours? If not then what I would suggest is to watch when the charger stops chargingand then unplug the cord. Generally speaking though even if it starts again and again it will not put more voltage inside your battery so it will not over-charge it. I would still unplug it though if it keeps turning back on."

I am seeking to return it, and Tony said this morning (March 23) to send him photos of the device "if I want to know what's next" (why? - I have no idea). The have a return policy but it is hidden behind their email communications to access it. I don't wish to waste my time taking photos of their defective device, and asked them to tell me how to return the defective device. If I don't hear in a day, I'll complain more loudly. I've little patience with jerk companies...

Mine is doing the same thing. How did you get in touch with them? I used their site contact form and got no reply. I just called them twice and was disconnected both times. I just went to the Discussion by Brand & User Reviews for Luna and there is nothing there for them. What an outfit!
Well last I knew the Luna owner was banned here. Doubtless they have a sock puppet here. They have a web site where you can post your issue. Sometimes peer pressure motivates them. www.electricbike.com/forum
I have three early versions and all are dead after very little use. My Satiator is an original. 5 years and I do multiple voltages and charge levels. Another item they can't sell.

Well last I knew the Luna owner was banned here. Doubtless they have a sock puppet here. They have a web site where you can post your issue. Sometimes peer pressure motivates them. www.electricbike.com/forum
I have three early versions and all are dead after very little use. My Satiator is an original. 5 years and I do multiple voltages and charge levels. Another item they can't sell.
I should have listened to you before I bought it. I just talked someone there and he told me to send an email to their support. I'm trying it again now to see if this happens again.

I am seeking to return it, and Tony said this morning (March 23) to send him photos of the device "if I want to know what's next" (why? - I have no idea). The have a return policy but it is hidden behind their email communications to access it. I don't wish to waste my time taking photos of their defective device, and asked them to tell me how to return the defective device. If I don't hear in a day, I'll complain more loudly. I've little patience with jerk companies...

If you're going to go through the trouble of complaining loudly, then why not take a video of the charger restarting and email to them? Once they see what it's doing their attitude may change. My experience with their email support has been pretty decent, but then I don't expect to have my hands held like a LBS would. Even Evelo, which has great customer support for an online company, doesn't really take support phone calls.

Just received the note below from Luna; we'll see if the reimburse the shipping fee or if I eat it. But I'll just send it back to them and see what happens.

Sure no problem,

++++++++Luna RTI / Refund+++++++++++
Please write case# on outside of package near the label.

Once shipped please email us so we can properly log the return in the system

Case# 00452740

If returning items from multiple orders, it is requested to put the order# and case# for each order, along with detailed description of what needs done. Luna is not responsible for processing delays as a result of failure to include this info.

Returns are typically inspected and processed within 2-3 weeks of delivery, possibly sooner depending on workload. If something custom is needed this may take longer, thank you for your patience. You will be automatically emailed refund notification once posted. If at any time you need an update let us know.

Please mail to:

Luna RTI
1330 East Franklin Ave
El Segundo, CA 90245

Make sure you use "Luna RTI" as who this is addressed to.

Back