80% charged

My Luna 48V charger arrived and apparently it is incompatible with Aventon's battery. It will shut off and on and off and on and off and on etc when the battery reaches 100% charge (Luna recommended that I unplug it when the battery is full, as if I'm waiting around for it to be fully charged). It also charged the battery to 100% when set on 80%.

So I'm returning it. Customer service has been snippy and unhelpful so far (this is my fault??).
I use the Luna Advanced Charger on my Aventon Pace 500 48V 11.6Ah batteries. At the 80% and 90% settings, the charger shuts on and off repeatedly. I just have accepted this abnormal operation because I haven't found a more convenient and economical charger. Especially one that allows me to slow charge at the rate of 1A. I try and power down the charger when the battery has reached the selected charge level. Many times I have forgotten and it has repeatedly shut on and off for hours. I have done this for almost a year now and doesn't seem to have damaged the batteries or charger. The charger shuts down properly at the 100% level. Prior to purchasing the Luna I used a digital timer with the Aventon charger. I was getting pretty good at estimating the time needed to recharge to 80%. But I didn't care for the 3A charging rate as well as the imprecise charging level based on estimated time. So I use the Luna and try to remember to power down when the 80% level is reached.

I had set the Luna to charge to the 80% level and went to bed; in the morning, the battery was charged to 100%. Perhaps it went on, off, on, off for an hour (or five) between 80 and 100% filled, but this is a poorly designed feature. I want it charged to 80% and then it shuts itself off, leaving it at 80% charge. Seems simple enough.

It seems odd that the ebike industry hasn't better resolved this how-high-to-charge-the-battery issue. Seems like a good place for a business to step in and compete with the Satiator (does the Satiator really have to be that expensive??)

I had set the Luna to charge to the 80% level and went to bed; in the morning, the battery was charged to 100%. Perhaps it went on, off, on, off for an hour (or five) between 80 and 100% filled, but this is a poorly designed feature. I want it charged to 80% and then it shuts itself off, leaving it at 80% charge. Seems simple enough.

It seems odd that the ebike industry hasn't better resolved this how-high-to-charge-the-battery issue. Seems like a good place for a business to step in and compete with the Satiator (does the Satiator really have to be that expensive??)

I check my battery voltage after my ride and based on that, I charge the battery for the time needed to bring the battery to 80% charged.

I use my ipad timer to remind me to unplug the charger, or to check the battery voltage progress. Usually I charge for an hour, and then check the voltage progression.

I bought a $15 digital voltmeter that has proven reliable.

n I don't expect to have my hands held like a LBS would.
Right but when a company claims to support customers and give less than good support... We xpect customers to feel better cuz they saved a few dollars. Luna has always pitched a you are on your own support. When all the while they operate with the highest margin than all their competitors. Smoke and mirrors.

The Luna Advanced Charger constantly recycles at 80% and 90% settings for Aventon Pace 500 batteries. I have found different ebike batteries charge properly on the Luna. I wonder why Aventon batteries have problems With the Luna?

Excessive heat is bad but you usually doesn't need to worry about the charge rate as long as you're charging at or below the cell's spec's.
A good practice is making sure the pack isn't hot from discharging before you start charging.

Back