700 ST questions

gkgeiger

Hello, just registered and need some assistance. First, we often haul our bikes to a dedicated trail system. I own a Thule EasyFold carrier which has clamps that squeezes a frame tube to secure the bike. I need to know what the width of the front down tube is, where the battery is mounted. Unfortunately I couldn't get this info from the Mfg. I know, that's scary. Secondly, if you transport your bikes on a hitch carrier, what kind do you use. Thanks in advance for your help.

It is 3.35" wide near the top face of the down tube, and flares out to 3.75" close to where the battery attaches.

I've only carried the bike on a car twice, for less than 5 miles, using this carrier. It worked fine.

• Swagman XC2 Hitch Mount Bike Rack
Roll over image to zoom in

Swagman XC2 Hitch Mount Bike Rack

Thanks for the measurements. That carrier wouldn't work for me, I'm 76. It doesn't look like it would handle 130# either. I do appreciate your reply.46858

Attachments

• 592796_sized_1800x1200_rev_1.jpg
    592796_sized_1800x1200_rev_1.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 343
Hello, just registered and need some assistance. First, we often haul our bikes to a dedicated trail system. I own a Thule EasyFold carrier which has clamps that squeezes a frame tube to secure the bike. I need to know what the width of the front down tube is, where the battery is mounted. Unfortunately I couldn't get this info from the Mfg. I know, that's scary. Secondly, if you transport your bikes on a hitch carrier, what kind do you use. Thanks in advance for your help.

The Thule EasyFold is a great carrier however it is just too heavy & cumbersome for my whimpy arms. I'm not able to easily lift it.

I found this Saris Freedom 2 which only weighs 27 lbs.
The center post has two frame holders which unfortunately did not fit on the downtube of my Vado. The battery makes the downtube fairly fat.
I simply removed those two frame holders and use tough bungees to secure the bike to the center post.

1583440561352.png

Yah, it is a beast at 45#. I can still handle it and I like it because it is HD. I lost a bike a couple years ago on I-95 and it was an ugly scene. Now that I have the measurement I needed, I'm fairly sure it is going to work. Thanks cashmoney and Marci jo for the replies.

1583452057238.png

I was looking at this one but perhaps I might need to remove the front fender or maybe just cut off the front of the fender.
I was wondering if the ratchet bar could hold the down tube instead of on the front tire.

"Thanks for the measurements. That carrier wouldn't work for me, I'm 76. It doesn't look like it would handle 130# either"

Why not consider something like the Motow Aluminum Bike Carrier. Weight 27 pounds. Carries 200 Pounds. Has built-in anti-wobble feature. Can disassemble it quickly and even store it in your car.

Also, if you find it difficult to lift heavy bikes onto your bike carrier, save your back and look at the Motow Hitch Lift

Their equipment is not inexpensive but it's quality made stainless so really quite the value compared to similarly priced steel carriers that will rust.

Not a paid Ad. I'm just a happy customer who appreciates good products and service, made in America.

Attachments

• Motow Double Bike Carrier.jpg
    Motow Double Bike Carrier.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 364
  • Motow Hitch Lift.jpg
    Motow Hitch Lift.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 350
"Thanks for the measurements. That carrier wouldn't work for me, I'm 76. It doesn't look like it would handle 130# either"

Why not consider something like the Motow Aluminum Bike Carrier. Weight 27 pounds. Carries 200 Pounds. Has built-in anti-wobble feature. Can disassemble it quickly and even store it in your car.

Also, if you find it difficult to lift heavy bikes onto your bike carrier, save your back and look at the Motow Hitch Lift

Their equipment is not inexpensive but it's quality made stainless so really quite the value compared to similarly priced steel carriers that will rust.

Not a paid Ad. I'm just a happy customer who appreciates good products and service, made in America.
Jenz, thanks for that info. That is a very interesting carrier. Very interesting design. Since I now have the down tube measurement I feel confident I can use my Thule, which I still think is the best carrier out for E-bikes.

View attachment 46865
I was looking at this one but perhaps I might need to remove the front fender or maybe just cut off the front of the fender.
I was wondering if the ratchet bar could hold the down tube instead of on the front tire.
Very happy with the same model, in use for the 4th year. no need for anything to be cut. Just use alternate location on the bike frames.
Townies JUST fit due to the longer wheelbase.

anybody use a crossbar/frame adapter with bikes like these? I have a pricey, heavy duty hitch carrier, but it is designed to clamp onto the crossbar/stepover tube and would not work with my XR frame nor the ST frame that I might buy the wife. I will likely only transport the e-bike(s)very very rarely and would hate to spend $200-$400 on a new rack for such limited use....but would also hate to 1) lose the bike on the highway when the seat tube works it's way out, and/or 2) damage the seat or the handlebars on a $1500 bike with one of those adapters.....

anybody use a crossbar/frame adapter with bikes like these? I have a pricey, heavy duty hitch carrier, but it is designed to clamp onto the crossbar/stepover tube and would not work with my XR frame nor the ST frame that I might buy the wife. I will likely only transport the e-bike(s)very very rarely and would hate to spend $200-$400 on a new rack for such limited use....but would also hate to 1) lose the bike on the highway when the seat tube works it's way out, and/or 2) damage the seat or the handlebars on a $1500 bike with one of those adapters.....
After losing a bike on I-95 I will never use a crossbar hanging carrier. Mine wasn't an E-bike but I would check the max. carrying capacity of your rack. Also, I wouldn't use a crossbar adapter.

No issues with the crossbar carrier itself nor capacity in this case. But am concerned about using a crossbar adapter due to potential damage at the contact points of the adapter, and relying on the seat tube clamp to support all the weight of the bike. ..

Back