6'4", 275lb, <3k, 10 mile commuter bike w/ hills

Myztiq

Hello!

I'm currently looking at e-bikes for myself for a commuter. I would like one that can help me get up a 700ft incline and can handle about 20 miles round trip per day.

After reading around, I think a mid-mounted motor will be best to help crank my heavy weight up some hills, I'm not opposed to working hard to get there, but this hill will be at the very end of the ride so I'll likely be more tired and need the assist.

I was very very close to doing a self-build with the BBS02 and a Marin Muirwoods 29er but after looking around I found this: https://dostbikes.com/product/kope/ which is very close to what I was looking at building, relatively near the same price point too.

Does anyone have any suggestions other than the Kope? I know Court did a glowing review of the Kope a little while back, but they haven't yet released the bikes so we don't have a good sense of long term maintenance etc. My biggest concern is my weight and if the wheels can hold up to the pressure, I'm not afraid of wrenching on the bike and truing the tires. Any suggestions for either other bikes or specific rims I should start researching to handle my weight? If possible, i'd like to be able to use the bike to go down a few curbs, but I don't intend on hitting any dirt trails and powering down big jumps/hills.

Biktrix Stunner also uses the BBS02, as does BM Ebikes Shadow, and EVELO Delta X - I recall an earlier thread on this forum from another big guy who bought the Delta that has a 30 mile range

The stunner looks interesting, I wish it was the flat handlebars vs the swept back style. I'll look into the Shadow a bit more this weekend! Thanks for the suggestions!

Looks like BM Ebikes have added a couple options to the Shadow (which is a converted KHS mtb, unsure which one but presumably the Alite) since Court reviewed it 5 years ago, the 48V 1200w option presumably is the BBS02 and would be the one to get, and you would definitely want to add the gearsensor (the absence of which from the tester he rode Court complained about).

Last edited:
I'm on the Dost mailing list and they indicated that the whole COVID situation has disrupted their supply chains and deliveries and behind schedule a bit. If you decide to go that route I'd suggest you contact them regarding delivery times.

The stunner looks interesting, I wish it was the flat handlebars vs the swept back style.

Swapping out the handlebars ought not be difficult, I suggest contacting Biktrix. I read on this forum the owner Roshan is very responsive to customer requests.

I have a similar hill at the end of my ride. I can get up the hill just fine in my BBS01. The BBS02 is a quiet motor with decent power, but like the rest of the BBSxx series, no torque sensing which you may or may not care about. Don't be swayed by the glowing EBR review, a few might beg to differ with Court's picks on the Dost bikes. I think you could get a lot more value for your money. Getting the right fit is probably as important as anything at 6'4". Look at bikes with XL frame sizes.

Really depends on what you're looking for. $2799 is steep for a bike with wires hanging out of the bottom and a circa 2014 bafang mid drive. I'd probably just get a BBS02 kit if that's the motor I wanted. If you want a class 3 bike with integrated battery and dual battery option I'd wait for the SUB from @Ravi Kempaiah (Zen bikes) with full suspension and suspended rack for around $3K.

Really depends on what you're looking for. $2799 is steep for a bike with wires hanging out of the bottom and a circa 2014 bafang mid drive. I'd probably just get a BBS02 kit if that's the motor I wanted. If you want a class 3 bike with integrated battery and dual battery option I'd wait for the SUB from @Ravi Kempaiah (Zen bikes) with full suspension and suspended rack for around $3K.
Ravi is the owner of https://www.zenbikes.com/? Or is there another Zen bike?

I guess it's "Zen Electric Bikes"

He mentioned the SUB here.

Hello!

I'm currently looking at e-bikes for myself for a commuter. I would like one that can help me get up a 700ft incline and can handle about 20 miles round trip per day.

After reading around, I think a mid-mounted motor will be best to help crank my heavy weight up some hills, I'm not opposed to working hard to get there, but this hill will be at the very end of the ride so I'll likely be more tired and need the assist.

I was very very close to doing a self-build with the BBS02 and a Marin Muirwoods 29er but after looking around I found this: https://dostbikes.com/product/kope/ which is very close to what I was looking at building, relatively near the same price point too.

Does anyone have any suggestions other than the Kope? I know Court did a glowing review of the Kope a little while back, but they haven't yet released the bikes so we don't have a good sense of long term maintenance etc. My biggest concern is my weight and if the wheels can hold up to the pressure, I'm not afraid of wrenching on the bike and truing the tires. Any suggestions for either other bikes or specific rims I should start researching to handle my weight? If possible, i'd like to be able to use the bike to go down a few curbs, but I don't intend on hitting any dirt trails and powering down big jumps/hills.
I am also 6'4", but weigh considerably more than you (hopefully not for long, recovering from hip and ankle surgeries). I am looking at these three bikes, all about $1500-$1700. Take a look and let me know what you think.

First preference is Rad Power RadCity4. It has a 750 watt motor. 48 Vdc battery. It is touted as very quiet.

It is a brushless direct drive motor.
https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radcity-electric-commuter-bike#specs

Second preference is the Magnum Ui6 plus.
https://www.magnumbikes.com/product/magnum-ui6/

Third preference is the Ride1Up 700 series bikes. This has very good reviews, and plenty of size margin for my leg length.
https://ride1up.com/product/700-series/

I have a similar hill at the end of my ride. I can get up the hill just fine in my BBS01. The BBS02 is a quiet motor with decent power, but like the rest of the BBSxx series, no torque sensing which you may or may not care about. Don't be swayed by the glowing EBR review, a few might beg to differ with Court's picks on the Dost bikes. I think you could get a lot more value for your money. Getting the right fit is probably as important as anything at 6'4". Look at bikes with XL frame sizes.

I strongly agree that a properly sized bike ( frame ) will play a very important role in the overall happiness of your ride. I'd consider a Bike Shop
that has a certified bike fitter to guide you....Because of your height and mainly weight, again I'd talk with competent
Bike shop regarding the durability a bike of your choosing.

I believe the typical max payload on many ebike is 300lbs. If this is accurate, longevity of things like rims, spokes, fork and the frame itself
would really seem to come into play.

Also, I'd have a conversation about brakes. I have two very good e-bikes, both with disc brakes. I weigh 195lbs. On steep longer declines
I've experienced some brake fade. I've learned over time how to modulated the brake application to accommodate for heat buildup,
but even still it's not the most reassuring feeling.

Back