6 months of creo!

mschwett

Region
USA
twoCreo.jpg

on the left, my creo, 6 months and a day ago, when i bought it, on the right, this morning's ride. 57.1 miles, motor off the whole way. love this bike and especially love that with the motor off it's just a somewhat-unusually-heavy road bike. i'm somewhat obsessive about stats, so for the 6 months since i took my first ride on it (not counting the ride home when i bought it!):

6months.jpg

3,028 miles, 189,000 feet climbed, 4,111 watt hours of battery used ($1.44 of electricity at $0.28/kwh assuming 25% waste in charging), 40,768 watt hours of human power (141,000 kCal, or 276 large order of mcdonald's french fries)

Nice progress graph. With your percent of support dropping to zero, pretty soon you’ll be able to ride a just-a-bike.
thanks! i’ll always use (and have to use) the e-bike for really big rides with tons of climbing, and i’m fine with that! but i have ordered a just-a-bike for other days :)

Nice graphic and nice bike. A bike to love.
I have taken to the approach of removing all data gathering and display features (except for remaining battery) on my bikes. I was not always this way. This approach is so I can better go with the flow and feel in the moment. It makes the experience right brained. Playing free Jazz instead of Grasping, analytical, categorical - the card collector of stats of free jazz. You have accomplished a lot in the last 6-months. Good stuff. After other projects I will convert a Lynskey Titanium, XT build into a superior eBike without limiters or data this week. The upgrade weight including the battery will add 10-pounds to the bike. Like yours, a torque sensor mid-drive with feel. Cheers.

View attachment 101382

on the left, my creo, 6 months and a day ago, when i bought it, on the right, this morning's ride. 57.1 miles, motor off the whole way. love this bike and especially love that with the motor off it's just a somewhat-unusually-heavy road bike. i'm somewhat obsessive about stats, so for the 6 months since i took my first ride on it (not counting the ride home when i bought it!):

View attachment 101385

3,028 miles, 189,000 feet climbed, 4,111 watt hours of battery used ($1.44 of electricity at $0.28/kwh assuming 25% waste in charging), 40,768 watt hours of human power (141,000 kCal, or 276 large order of mcdonald's french fries)
What app gives you that chart ?!

Why do you turn the motor off instead of setting the assistance level to OFF? By switching the motor off, you, for instance, make your odometer inoperable.

terminology - the motor is off, because the assistance level is off. turning the bike off would mean no data gathering whatsoever, which i don't like. i always gather the data!

interestingly, a non-trivial amount of battery is expended over a 3-6 hour ride with no motor activity. as much as 4 or 5 watts per hour!

terminology - the motor is off, because the assistance level is off. turning the bike off would mean no data gathering whatsoever, which i don't like. i always gather the data!
Thank you for the explanation!
interestingly, a non-trivial amount of battery is expended over a 3-6 hour ride with no motor activity. as much as 4 or 5 watts per hour!
What is 5 Wh per hour nowadays... :D

thanks! i’ll always use (and have to use) the e-bike for really big rides with tons of climbing, and i’m fine with that! but i have ordered a just-a-bike for other days :)
How much weight have you taken off the bike with the modifications that you have done?

How much weight have you taken off the bike with the modifications that you have done?
about 1.6lb so far. new cockpit (in hand but not installed) will save another .5, wheels and tires another 1.5, so the total will probably be a bit shy of 4 lb. doesn’t seem like a lot but it’ll end up around 12% of the weight of the bike, with a lot of rotating mass involved. so far the cassette, driver, and chainring were the most noticeable, 253g of rotating mass… plus 10% lower gearing of course.

it’ll end up 25lb or so. the just-a-bike that i’ll add to the quiver is a hair under 14lb. 11lb for an entire motor and battery is pretty amazing IMO.

about 1.6lb so far. new cockpit (in hand but not installed) will save another .5, wheels and tires another 1.5, so the total will probably be a bit shy of 4 lb. doesn’t seem like a lot but it’ll end up around 12% of the weight of the bike, with a lot of rotating mass involved. so far the cassette, driver, and chainring were the most noticeable, 253g of rotating mass… plus 10% lower gearing of course.

it’ll end up 25lb or so. the just-a-bike that i’ll add to the quiver is a hair under 14lb. 11lb for an entire motor and battery is pretty amazing IMO.
What’s the 14lb bike you’re getting? It’s amazing bikes can be so light. I thought my carbon road bike was light at 21 lb when I got it 15 years ago.

specialized aethos. went all out on the new 12 speed dura ace version! total overkill, but you really can’t take it with you :)
No, it would be really hard to pack it all "to take it with you" on a bike that light! :cool:

Nice progress graph. With your percent of support dropping to zero, pretty soon you’ll be able to ride a just-a-bike
"Just A Bike"...Funny you say that. Here is my Creo Evo alongside my Stigmata "just a bike". I rode both of these on my forty day cross country trip from San Francisco
to New York Bay2Brooklyn2021.com. I too ride my Creo with little to no assist. I was riding with 9 others but no one with an ebike so I took a lot of crap even though I used very little assist. To prove them wrong I a 109 miles one day without assist. Surprisingly not much more difficult than the 86 mile ride I did a few days before on my 19 lb. Stigmata. I had bought a range extender for the trip thinking I would need it. Only had to use it once on a very difficult 95 mile ride in against a nasty head wind along with over 8500 ft. of elevation gain.

Attachments

• tempImagenW4nVq.png
    tempImagenW4nVq.png
    6.6 MB · Views: 212
"Just A Bike"...Funny you say that. Here is my Creo Evo alongside my Stigmata "just a bike". I rode both of these on my forty day cross country trip from San Francisco
to New York Bay2Brooklyn2021.com. I too ride my Creo with little to no assist. I was riding with 9 others but no one with an ebike so I took a lot of crap even though I used very little assist. To prove them wrong I a 109 miles one day without assist. Surprisingly not much more difficult than the 86 mile ride I did a few days before on my 19 lb. Stigmata. I had bought a range extender for the trip thinking I would need it. Only had to use it once on a very difficult 95 mile ride in against a nasty head wind along with over 8500 ft. of elevation gain.
beautiful bikes!!

95 miles and 8,500 feet into the wind would definitely be a “motor on” ride for me!!

today i had the roval alpinist one-piece cockpit installed on my creo! this eliminates the "rise" of the hover bar, which was useful initially to get used to a road bike but now just stood in the way of an optimized riding position. saved another 200 grams, almost half a pound, for a total of just about exactly three pounds, or around 10-11 percent of the bike's weight, most of it in rotating stuff.

ride today felt great, the combo of tubeless tires, carbon wheels, the future shock, and one piece carbon cockpit makes for a nice ride quality.

8017-newCockpit.jpg

5,000 miles on the creo today!! one set of tires, about 1/2 through a second chain, no obvious wear on the rest of the drivetrain. I do wish it didn’t eat brake pads so fast, on the third set of those!

5E9B0CC5-A0EF-43C3-98E5-AB2242FAC94C.jpeg

5,000 miles on the creo today!! one set of tires, about 1/2 through a second chain, no obvious wear on the rest of the drivetrain. I do wish it didn’t eat brake pads so fast, on the third set of those!

View attachment 112601
Congratulations on a very nice milestone. I still like that understated gray beast.

Since you eat brake pads for breakfast, what are the symptoms you experience when they are worn? Noticeable noise, squeaking? Loss of stopping power? Other? How about the brake lines? Have they needed bleeding?

Keep it up.

Back