58.8v Charger Adjustment?

AxialFlux

I purchased a 58v 4a charger on Amazon thinking it would charge my 48v packs. This seems like too much voltage for a 48v pack, even though there was mentions of it working fine for 48v in the reviews. I know some of these chargers have adjustable output voltages, usually via a trim pot. Looking in this one, I see 3 trim pots, with one off by itself. I should be able to dial down the voltage with one of these, correct? Charger is a UY240, if that helps.

Attachments

• 20200925_154056.jpg
    20200925_154056.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 966
Did some research, and it seemed like trim pot VR2 adjusted the voltage, so I got my meter out, and turned it down to 54.6v. I assume that I should be good to go now?

Did some research, and it seemed like trim pot VR2 adjusted the voltage, so I got my meter out, and turned it down to 54.6v. I assume that I should be good to go now?
Yes 54.6 is a full 48 v battery. You know not to fully charge it every time which will lengthen it life span? Just every couple of weeks leave it on overnight to balance the cells.

Yes, I'm aware of not charging it fully, although my plan is to let the battery run down quite a bit before charging. I know from building drones and R/C planes, it is not good to leave the battery charged 100% all the time, and I assume Li-Ion packs are the same as Li-Po.

Could you explain the reason you bought the 58v charger when a 48v charger goes to 54.6v already?

Could you explain the reason you bought the 58v charger when a 48v charger goes to 54.6v already?

Honestly, I wasn't paying attention. I wanted a 4a charger to replace the crappy one that came with my kit, and found this one on Amazon. One of the top reviews said it worked great for his 48v packs, so I ordered it. When I got it today, and saw it was 58.8v, I realized what I had done.

Also, I have not seen a charger like the one I got with the kit, but it doesn't weigh anything, and the build quality is pretty bad.

Attachments

• 20200920_172730.jpg
    20200920_172730.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 376
I think the intent is to monitor it for being on fire.
Can you say red herring? But it's nice of you to try to defend him.
If it was for fire then everyone who charges their bike in the garage should stay in the garage while it's charging to "monitor it'?
That's what most people use fire and smoke detectors for : )

Honestly, I wasn't paying attention. I wanted a 4a charger to replace the crappy one that came with my kit, and found this one on Amazon. One of the top reviews said it worked great for his 48v packs, so I ordered it. When I got it today, and saw it was 58.8v, I realized what I had done.

Also, I have not seen a charger like the one I got with the kit, but it doesn't weigh anything, and the build quality is pretty bad.
Just a note...a four amp charger will fill your battery faster but at a cost of shortening it's life.

Just a note...a four amp charger will fill your battery faster but at a cost of shortening it's life.

Yup. I have a 2amp charger that came with the kit I put on the Townie, which seems to be a decent charger (unlike the maple leaf thing). I'll use that mostly, but the 4a will be used when I am camping, as where we camp, we use a generator for power. The quicker I can charge while on the generator, the better!

If it was for fire then everyone who charges their bike in the garage should stay in the garage while it's charging to "monitor it'?

I was flying R/C aircraft back when LiPo batteries first came into being. Lot of idiots caught their cars/homes on fire due to not setting chargers correct, hence a whole industry arose selling fireproof sleeves and cases to put your batteries in while charging. I never had an issue, but then again, I did not charge my stuff at crazy fast rates.

Yup. I have a 2amp charger that came with the kit I put on the Townie, which seems to be a decent charger (unlike the maple leaf thing). I'll use that mostly, but the 4a will be used when I am camping, as where we camp, we use a generator for power. The quicker I can charge while on the generator, the better!
Ahh, a man with a plan .

But it's logical to assume that he's monitoring the individual cell charge levels?

Ok.

Not everyone has a garage, for the record. I charge in the tub in the basement, while I'm down there, monitoring.

But it's logical to assume that he's monitoring the individual cell charge levels?

Ok.

Not everyone has a garage, for the record. I charge in the tub in the basement, while I'm down there, monitoring.
Some fellas just have bad days and seem to perk up on forums... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ok.

For 8 hours??? I'm toooo busy to spend my time that way. But to each his own !

The purpose of leaving the charger on for extended time is ,,, to balance individual charge levels.

Man, if only I were a professional at a major nonprofit who works from home most days in my basement office. I might have that kind of time. And be able to afford a better charger that doesn't take 8 hours...

Back