Newb choices?

fxrairhead

Region
USA
I used to ride BMX back in the '80s. No stranger to wrenching on bikes back then. I have a ~97 ish chrome moly Rock Hopper I bought new that is mostly original and in great shape, and a ~mid 2000s ish LL Bean aluminum framed comfort (or hybrid?) made by K10? maybe? bike, also in great shape, and is a really nice upper low end bike IMO.

This past weekend I tried my friend's about 5 year old hub drive Ebike (don't know the brand or model) around the neighborhood and loved it. Then I went to another friend's house later that day who owns a Himiway D5 Pro. Took it out for about a half hour. Loved it! This may be what I need to get my self back riding and getting some exercise! LOL.

After some reading the past few days, I have decided I should be looking at mid drive. My use will be light urban, mostly suburban/paved bike paths, and light trail (nothing technical). Recreational only, no commuting. My height is 5' 11.5"

So now for the question...

Kit out one of my existing bikes that haven't been ridden in years, or is the Yamaha Crosscore RC a no brainier at the current $1199? Any thing else I should be looking at or considering?

P.S. I'm as cheap as they come, so price is a serious consideration! LOL.

No experience with the Crosscore, but I've seen the review, and it looked like a solid bike at the regular price.

With that cashback deal, I'd say it's a no-brainer. If you don't need a throttle, then I'd say look no further. :)

No experience with the Crosscore, but I've seen the review, and it looked like a solid bike at the regular price.

With that cashback deal, I'd say it's a no-brainer. If you don't need a throttle, then I'd say look no further. :)
I don't know enough yet to know if I need a throttle or not. Can one be added to the Yamaha?

I don't know enough yet to know if I need a throttle or not. Can one be added to the Yamaha?
Nope. Throttles aren't really an option on the "big name" mid-drives, big name being Yamaha, Shimano, Bosch, and Brose.

Bafang mid-drive bikes often do (Bafang being the major Chinese e-bike motor maker), as do many, but not all, DIY kits.

For the most part, mid-drives make your legs feel like they're stronger and the assist levels control how MUCH stronger. You still have to pay attention to gearing, like on a regular bike.
Cadence-based rear hub drives feel more like somebody is giving the bike a push, and feel less bike-like, as the cadence is what really governs how much speed the hub puts out.
There's a lot more nuance than that (torque sensing hub-drives, how much torque a motor has etc), but that's getting into the weeds.

This is purely subjective, but my first e-bike was a rear-hub with throttle, but I don't miss the throttle at all.

I ditched the pedal assist, which was always too fast and dangerous for the berms of highways I ride. I use throttle only, on a front hub drive. I get about 5000 miles per 8 speed chain. Mid drives get less. I ride unpowered about 80% of the distance, unless the headwind is >12 mph. Yamaha is one brand where you do not drag the motor with your feet unpowered. Bosch, you do. Severe rains tend to take out the electrics temporarily until dried out, so you are under your own power, or call a tow truck.

Back