Front light on a giant drit e

StiRein

Region
Europe
Hi! I have a 2018 giant dirt e. I’ve noticed that there’s a button on the controller marked with a light symbol, I know it turns on the display light.
Is there any way to connect a front light to this button?
If it’s possible what kind of lamp do you recommend?

Although it doesn't appear to be a Dirt E, this video may be of some help:

Since the Dirt E is a mountain bike, Giant may not have provided for a light, since the bike is designed for off road use, primarily during daylight hours.

Rather than try to tap into the wiring harness, why not use a handlebar mount light with an internal battery? That way, it can be easily removed when not needed. It can also be used as a flashlight for making nighttime repairs. If the Dirt E has a USB port, it can be used to recharge the light while mounted on the bike.

There are many such lights available with a wide range in prices. I've had great luck with this one for off road riding at night:

I have several bikes, and the light can be switched between them as necessary. When mounted to the bike, I leave it plugged into the USB port so it's always charged and ready to go.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your project!

Although it doesn't appear to be a Dirt E, this video may be of some help:

Since the Dirt E is a mountain bike, Giant may not have provided for a light, since the bike is designed for off road use, primarily during daylight hours.

Rather than try to tap into the wiring harness, why not use a handlebar mount light with an internal battery? That way, it can be easily removed when not needed. It can also be used as a flashlight for making nighttime repairs. If the Dirt E has a USB port, it can be used to recharge the light while mounted on the bike.

There are many such lights available with a wide range in prices. I've had great luck with this one for off road riding at night:

I have several bikes, and the light can be switched between them as necessary. When mounted to the bike, I leave it plugged into the USB port so it's always charged and ready to go.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your project!
I've had excellent luck with a similar detachable battery-powered headlight from Amazon — CECO brand, twin beam, nominally 2,000 lumens. Looks kinda like a Cygolite knockoff for half the price.

Vastly superior to the bike's built-in headlight in beam pattern and settings. I have it flashing during the day and solid at night for the safety of all concerned.

Battery life is still decent after 1.5 years, but the light's normally plugged into the 0.5A USB port on my display. This keeps the light topped up and gives the port a purpose in life, as 0.5A is too feeble to power anything else.

The detached "flashlight mode" definitely comes in handy at times.

Back