New Motor wait time

TerroRider

Region
Canada
I am wondering if anyone has issues with wait times for new motor - waited 5 months for motor replacement for Specialized Terro 4 - bike is only 6 months old
Location BC Canada 🇨🇦

I bought a generic geared hub motor and generic battery. Any load any road, I can use it. My battery connector was a XT90, now cut off and replaced with generic Dorman insulated .250 flag terminals. Just match the frame dropout and wheel size, or lace your own wheel. Match Hall effect connector, brake & pickup connectors. I keep a spare motor in the garage laced up & ready to go. $100-500 investment. Two days down when I wear out a motor. Yes, gears do wear out, ~4500 miles on the first one. For $400, big *****g deal. My whole setup was $2800 initially, way less than a Terro or Vado.

It is freeze/thaw condensation. It is common with northern bikes. Also motors are not dive watches. They expand and contract and breathe when warming and cooling. Some air is exchanged. I pack mine with a waterproof material to mitigate this. And I apply it to all the seals. It is similar to the plumber's grease used on the O-rings inside valves and faucets. I happen to live in a place with a fairly stable seasonal weather, but this afternoon I was hitting 30km head winds from the coast. The warm air rises inland and that sucks in the cold air over the Pacific as the currents descend from Alaska and BC. I am in the alternate CA. Have you asked for compensation? They could have given you a demo bike to use while waiting.

I was annoyed that the great weather is here - and was tired of waiting around - so went into bike shop last week and asked for demo to ride - which is when they searched harder and found me a motor from back east - hoping it is brand new?
Thx for your suggestion regarding the condensation - would hate to not be able to ride all year round. I always wait for bike to cool before charging, however, I hose off right away - should I wait for it to cool before hosing down ?
Appreciate your knowledge!!!

Back