Velotric Discover 2 review

Mike N.

So I just received the Discover 2 yesterday Fed Ex. I ordered it Monday night so was quite surprised it arrived so fast. From Los Angelas to Las Vegas. The packaging was excellent and well thought out with no damage to the bike on arrival. All the reviews I saw on YouTube pretty much said the same thing. A well thought out product.

This will be my fifth E-bike. I have always looked for the best value for the price. My first E-bike was an E-Glide with 500 watt motor and cadence sensor in 2017. Top speed 20 mph. The next one was a Giant mid drive which I purchased from a friend and didn't keep long. It had a limiter on it that would kill the motor when you reached 20 mph. My next one was a Ride1up LMT'D 750 watt motor and torque sensor. Top speed 28 mph. It is my go-to bike. The problem with Ride1up is their quality control is horrible in my case. They do stand behind their product though. I had to swipe out the controller, the throttle more than once. Spokes not tightened correctly at the factory and the bolts in the rear rotor were not tightened and didn't realize it till I was down to one bolt. I purchased an Ride1up ST step through as a second bike for guests but it had a cadence sensor and I can't go back to a cadence sensor after riding now with a torque sensor. I'm selling this one and that is why I was looking for a replacement. Another step through but with a torque sensor.

The Discover 2 has a rack and stem extender which I had to purchase separate for the LMT'D. Also has a light and fenders which my LMT'D did not. Wednesday I assembled it and registered it. Topped off the battery but have not powered it up yet. I got the cherry crimson and the color really does pop and stands out for being seen. Came with an excellent tool kit like they have on motorcycles. And a bell. I wonder with all the electronics on this bike like turn signals, brake lights and cruise control why they did not add a electric horn? Mabe no connection for that on the controllers yet.

I'll be posting my thoughts as I start riding it. I'm not a professional reviewer but just a retired guy that enjoys E-bikes and riding.

Attachments

• thumbnail (35).jpg
    thumbnail (35).jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 52
  • thumbnail (36).jpg
    thumbnail (36).jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 40
  • thumbnail (19).jpg
    thumbnail (19).jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 53
  • thumbnail (20).jpg
    thumbnail (20).jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
I have a question. Does anyone recognize what type of E-bike battery connecter this is? I want to get an adapter for my Luna charger. I can control the percentage of the charge and the amperage.

Attachments

• thumbnail (37).jpg
    thumbnail (37).jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 28
  • thumbnail (38).jpg
    thumbnail (38).jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 26
I took my first ride yesterday on the Discovery 2. It is a very comfortable ride out of the box. The seat works really well. One less thing to upgrade.

To me the 3 modes Eco, Trail and Boost, Eco is pretty useless and I do not see me using it. I kept it in boost most of the time and level 3, 4 and 5 but that's just me.

On my other torque sensor bike I just keep it at the highest setting and pedal harder when I need more speed.

I did over 15 miles on my first run with about 60% power left so 30 miles should be okay at the highest setting.

Took a longer ride today. I went 21.3 miles in Boost mode and had 57% battery left so I think a 40 mile range at higher settings in very doable. The suspension and ride posture are excellent and was very comfortable going that distance. It got quite blustery later in the day and of course everything is pretty much up and down here in Las Vegas.

Now the only complaint I have is the power to me seems a bit anemic. I guess that is all relative. Not to say the bike doesn't go along at a fast clip. I had the speedo at one time at 31 mph. I think it is the 75 newton meters of torque and weight of the bike and my 220 lbs makes it seem slower than my Ride1up LMT'D when starting out, being that the LMT'D had a rating of 95 nm torque.

Giving up that extra oomf when pressing the pedal, in return you receive more advanced electronics, a very comfortable ride, great fit and finish and a two year warranty instead of 1 year. There are so many E-bikes available now you just have to decide what is your main prerequisites when choosing a bike. Since this is not my main ride but spare and alternative it isn't a deal breaker.

Also had the rear basket on today that is available for the Discovery. It is huge. I put a netting on the top to make sure nothing flew out. I kind of like my Topeak rack more since the bags and basket slide right off a track on the rack. This has four screws holding it down. Will have to see if I need to take it off when I put two bikes on my car's bicycle rack.

So two things that stood out. Very comfortable ride and a bit week on the startup from what I have been accustomed to.

Attachments

• thumbnail (40).jpg
    thumbnail (40).jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 49
  • thumbnail (39).jpg
    thumbnail (39).jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 48
Took a longer ride today. I went 21.3 miles in Boost mode and had 57% battery left so I think a 40 mile range at higher settings in very doable. The suspension and ride posture are excellent and was very comfortable going that distance. It got quite blustery later in the day and of course everything is pretty much up and down here in Las Vegas.
your milage will drop as the battery runs out of juice so I doubt you will get another 20 miles from a 50% battery.

Last edited:
Curious how tall you are? I rode a Discovery 1 today, thinking maybe the updated/upgraded Doscovery 2 might be a good prospect, but found the 1 to seem a little small/cramped for my 6-3 height. I’m having trouble finding a step through with good fit and frame geometry for taller riders. I’m not finding many class 2 step through bikes with multiple frame size options with larger available frame sizes with optimized geometry for taller riders.

The Discovery II comes in two frame sizes. I'm 6' 1" and the large frame fits me well.

I’m 6-3. I’ll need to look closer at the difference between the 1 and 2 geometry—must have missed that. I’ve considered so many bikes, it’s a blur and might have glossed over that.

Trying to figure out which bike/frame will fit me best just from looking at the dimension numbers is still confusing me. Most of the bikes on my short list don’t have a demo option available, so need to decipher the geometry specs—really want to avoid needing to send a bike back for a fit problem.

I took a closer look at the geometry of 1 vs 2, but doesn’t seem they have the full set of measurements on the 2 like they have for the 1. From what I can see, it looks like the 1 frame is very similar to the 2 in large size—looks more like they added a smaller frame version to the 2 offerings to accommodate shorter riders. The 1 and the large size 2 both show maximum rider height of 6-4, so the 2 is not likely to fit me much better than the 1 I test rode.

Back