Weird breaking problem

Broncobusted

Region
USA
So this might be weird or nothing. I have a 23 aventure 2 and have recently noticed a weird almost feels like a minor breaking on the motor as I am pedaling. It seems to subside if I connect the bike to the aventon app , it might just me being neurotic. I'm not sure if something is wrong with the bike or if not connecting to aventon is causing this weird problem. Anyone else experienced anything like this ? Thanks

So this might be weird or nothing. I have a 23 aventure 2 and have recently noticed a weird almost feels like a minor breaking on the motor as I am pedaling. It seems to subside if I connect the bike to the aventon app , it might just me being neurotic. I'm not sure if something is wrong with the bike or if not connecting to aventon is causing this weird problem. Anyone else experienced anything like this ? Thanks
Are you using the throttle at the same time? I've noticed this on my A.2 when I'm pedaling and throttling as the bike's speed gets to about 20 mph, which is the top speed for the throttle. I feel a bit of drag. It might be something with the torque sensor configuration or the programming of the controller. My Aventure.1 with cadence sensor does not do it.

No not using the throttle at the same time. Bike was running great. I may need to take it in maybe torque sensor. Thank you

Since the throttle tops at 20 mph they both won't work at the same time. If you are going over the limit and held down the throttle while pedaling, this would be a result of what you're experiencing. If that's not the case then you would want to visit a local dealer to diagnose the issue.

Awesome thank you for chiming in. Although that is not the case I have 4k miles on this bike and this is new so I may need a service. I hope not it's only 1 year old

It reminds me of a December thread involving another 2023 Aventon.

Yeah it's kinda weird comes and goes . And I was about to pull the trigger on a level 2. I think I'll see how this plays out a while first. Thank you for responding .

Yeah it's kinda weird comes and goes . And I was about to pull the trigger on a level 2. I think I'll see how this plays out a while first. Thank you for responding .
I have a possible solution. With my Abound, I was getting a brushing sound at 12 o'clock and 5 o'clock on each revolution of my right crank arm. I decided that the balls in the right bearing (which takes the load of the chainwheel and the right pedal together) were skidding during the transition between no load and full load, and it was audible because the races sometimes ran dry, and that was because the grease was sometimes too stiff. Wear and tear can make a grease get stiff. Bearing manufacturers are supposed to use tested and approved grease.

For $20 I ordered a crank arm puller and a bottom bracket removal tool. That exposed the bearing. I was able to remove the clip with a couple of small screwdrivers and the seal (a soft metal washer) with a pointy tool. I couldn't get the balls out, but I could wipe away some of the grease as I turned the shaft. Then I packed the bearing with Lucas Red 'n' Tacky. No more bearing noise.

I noticed something else. There's a hill near here that I can climb manually with a single-speed 86 gear-inch ebike. The Abound let me shift down to 37 gear inches, but I'd quickly tire and resort to pedal assist. Now that I've repacked the bearing, I don't need pedal assist. I think that under the load of that hill, the OE grease was letting the races run dry. It was silent but dragged my pedaling in all gears.

If one Aventon torque sensor had grease that could stiffen from wear, maybe they all do. I'd get the brushing sound riding without PAS. If you normally use PAS, maybe dry races wouldn't produce that sound. Maybe your "braking" comes from friction in that bearing, that comes and goes.

Last edited:
Back