Mission control no longer supported?

pete H

Region
United Kingdom
So this flashes up now every time i log on. Does this mean it will stop functioning soon?
I see that the app has disappeared from the Google play list.
I did try the new app but hated it as I couldn't read the text whilst riding. So i re installed mission control as i preferred it and couldn't see why the changed it.
Any ideas folks?

Screenshot_20240207-200717.png

Does this mean it will stop functioning soon?
It should work unless you need to install it on a new device or re-installing it.

The fact the app is not supported and unavailable in app stores does not mean it won't work. I basically use Mission Control for Smart Control (which I trust in the MC but have no experience for the Specialized App), and for quick tuning assistance levels.

P.S. I've tried the Smart Control in Specialized App. It is missing a lot of development. No Heart Rate control, no Elevation Gain parameter. I wonder how Specialized could replace their mature Mission Control with such an underbaked product!

Last edited:
The old interface was more readable and simpler. Currently, while on the road, I find myself having to lean and focus for a couple of seconds to read the small text on the screen. I believe it's a poor design. It would be great if there was an option for those who preferred the old interface.

So this flashes up now every time i log on. Does this mean it will stop functioning soon?
I see that the app has disappeared from the Google play list.
I did try the new app but hated it as I couldn't read the text whilst riding. So i re installed mission control as i preferred it and couldn't see why the changed it.
Any ideas folks?
It would seem the Specialized folks misunderstood my emails about their e-bikes being computers on two wheels. Rather than providing an App that enabled mastery of the current and future sophisticated features provided by the bikes’ microprocessors they put together something suitable for young folks (with good eyesight) and geeks (technology obsessed persons with limited interpersonal experience). Perhaps they will figure it out.

I followed the advice from Specialized to download and install the new app and remove the old one.

However, the new one doesn't show any maps. Has this happened with anyone else?

I followed the advice from Specialized to download and install the new app and remove the old one.

However, the new one doesn't show any maps. Has this happened with anyone else?

Hmmm. At the bottom of the screen click "Ride". When you begin a ride....the map is at the top....you can switch from street view to satellite view. It most definitely shows mapping.....poorly imo....but it does work.

It is the completed rides I'm referring to. See attached screenshot from the new app.

The top one is the latest ride.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240410-211133.png
    Screenshot_20240410-211133.png
    375 KB · Views: 19
It is the completed rides I'm referring to. See attached screenshot from the new app.

The top one is the latest ride.
Have you tried associating the Specialized App (SA) with Strava? Is the ride map available in Strava post-ride?

While I was on my little holiday, Mission Control stopped working, and it is necessary to install the SA now.

For me, the Specialized App (and especially killing Mission Control) is a disaster. All I needed from the Mission Control was to be able to switch the Range Extender discharge mode. Occasionally, I was using Smart Control. Now, I am forced to go for the Specialized App. The main drawback of the new Specialized app is that it takes your e-bikes hostage, that is, the connection between the App and the e-bikes makes it exclusive. Once installed and paired, the Specialized App prevents BLEvo from connecting to any supported (older) Specialized e-bike. (That happens when you allow SA working as the Companion App - avoid at any cost!) I only use BLEvo for detailed monitoring of the batteries but cannot do it with the Specialized App installed!

Bad, bad, bad.

The only new feature of the SA I like is the possibility of connecting a Wahoo or Garmin to the app, so the rides recorded with either of these bike computers are automatically transferred to the Specialized Cloud.

Last edited:
I like all the intrinsic aspects of bikes that have nothing in common with extrinsically networked Pelotons. Motivation and experience come from within and do not involve a screen or posting boasts. Planed obsolescence is built in to these products and that is amusing.

1712846634085.jpeg

Have you tried associating the Specialized App (SA) with Strava? Is the ride map available in Strava post-ride?

While I was on my little holiday, Mission Control stopped working, and it is necessary to install the SA now.

For me, the Specialized App (and especially killing Mission Control) is a disaster. All I needed from the Mission Control was to be able to switch the Range Extender discharge mode. Occasionally, I was using Smart Control. Now, I am forced to go for the Specialized App. The main drawback of the new Specialized app is that it takes your e-bikes hostage, that is, the connection between the App and the e-bikes makes it exclusive. Once installed and paired, the Specialized App prevents BLEvo from connecting to any supported (older) Specialized e-bike. (That happens when you allow SA working as the Companion App - avoid at any cost!) I only use BLEvo for detailed monitoring of the batteries but cannot do it with the Specialized App installed!

Bad, bad, bad.

The only new feature of the SA I like is the possibility of connecting a Wahoo or Garmin to the app, so the rides recorded with either of these bike computers are automatically transferred to the Specialized Cloud.
Hi Stefan,

No I haven't tried to associate the Specialized App with Strava. I'll look into it next time I have the bike out.

Ta.

Last edited:

Bad, bad, bad.

I haven't tried to link the SA app to Strava but today, the app didn't recognise the bike so I had to associate the app with the back again.

Is that right? I suspect not, but it would be good to have a Specialized employee respond and investigate/advise.

I'm using the bike this evening for a little social ride from Tynemouth all the way up the coast to Whitley Bay. Yeah, ok, a couple of miles, but it's nice to pootle along chatting to folk.

Back