Mission Control glitch

landonphd

Region
USA
Hello Everyone,

I have a perplexing Mission Control Glitch.

In the "Stats" window of the app, when the app is connected to my Turbo Como 5, the reading for "Percent Battery Remaining" display option is no longer updating during rides. Consequently, for the duration of the ride, the % Battery Remaining reading remains at whatever % of battery charge was present at the beginning of the ride. Let's say there was a 100% charge on the battery at the beginning of the ride. The app reads 100% for the full ride, even though the % battery remaining on the computer does decrease as the ride progresses. At the end of the ride, the computer might show 50% remaining battery charge but the app still says 100%. The values of other stats provided by the app do update during the ride and the values provided by the app are consistent with the cognate readings on the computer. For example, the value for the Battery WH Remaining stat changes consistently with the Battery WH Remaining stat on the computer.

I've updated the app. I've uninstalled and re-installed the app. I'm flummoxed.

Does anyone have any experience or insight into this?

Thanks in advance.

I understand the nature of your issue and do not know the cure for the bug. However, as the battery % is reported properly on your display, and all the ride data are correct post-ride, is that a big issue for you? (Probably corrected with a software update in some future).

I understand the nature of your issue and do not know the cure for the bug. However, as the battery % is reported properly on your display, and all the ride data are correct post-ride, is that a big issue for you? (Probably corrected with a software update in some future).

You are right. In a world where (bombastic movie announcer voice describing something terrible), whether or not that one stat works is a small thing. :)

Are you mixing up % charge vs % battery life/condition/status or whatever they call it?
Thanks for your response.

A long time ago, I had set the battery level stat to display in one of the cells in the "Stats" window of the app during the ride. The stat that had been accurately reflecting the change in the battery level ever since then. Suddenly, without changing anything in the app, that one, single stat now reads 100% all the time. All other stats accurately reflect changes. The screenshot is from before the problem appeared. Now, the circled value reads 100% all the time whereas all other displayed values change consistent with changes in the bike.
1676484194791.png

I think this is an issue with the Mission Control app. I've noticed starting sometime between February 8th and Feb. 10th, it's falsely recording the battery at 100% in the .fit file all of the time except when the value changes. The display on the bike is reporting the current battery percentage, but the app apparently is defaulting to 100% most of the time. I wonder if this would affect Smart Control as well.

My app just updated to version 3.11.0 yesterday and it did not fix this behavior.

Edit: I'm using an iPhone and I have a 2020 Vado 5.0

Looking back, I see evidence of this behavior going back to the beginning of February. Version 3.10.0 for iOS came out January 31st so I assume this bug started with that update. It's not consistent so the app might appear to work correctly some of the time. I'm not sure--I don't usually look a the phone while I'm riding but I might have to check it out on my next ride.

Quick troubleshooting update. The app is defaulting to the value for battery percentage when the bike is turned on. I turned it on, it read 100% even though I ran it down to 98%. Then I stopped, turned the bike off and then back on and then it would report 98% even when I ran it down a few more percentage points. This behavior is easily reproducible.

Here's where it gets fun. I turned on Smart Control and the app started reporting the correct battery percentage, even after I turned Smart Control off. As long as I didn't turn the bike on and off, it was now working correctly. I guess if it's important to have the battery percentage in the app, turn on then off Smart Control at the beginning of your ride.

Sooooo, in the middle of my ride today, as I literally was peddling along, the battery level stat started showing the correct percentage. I just happened to be looking at my phone at the precise moment and watched the battery level stat suddenly switch from 100% to 64% and then continue to show the correct remaining % battery level. Weirder and weirder.

@dollarbin, per your comment about Smart Control, during a rest break in today's ride, I had turned Smart Control on momentarily and then off again as you describe. But that was at least 10 to 15 minutes before the app started to show the correct percentage.

Quick troubleshooting update. The app is defaulting to the value for battery percentage when the bike is turned on. I turned it on, it read 100% even though I ran it down to 98%. Then I stopped, turned the bike off and then back on and then it would report 98% even when I ran it down a few more percentage points. This behavior is easily reproducible.

Here's where it gets fun. I turned on Smart Control and the app started reporting the correct battery percentage, even after I turned Smart Control off. As long as I didn't turn the bike on and off, it was now working correctly. I guess if it's important to have the battery percentage in the app, turn on then off Smart Control at the beginning of your ride.
See my comment about my app suddenly showing the correct percentage. I didn't think about having done that until I read your comment.

I think this is an issue with the Mission Control app. I've noticed starting sometime between February 8th and Feb. 10th, it's falsely recording the battery at 100% in the .fit file all of the time except when the value changes. The display on the bike is reporting the current battery percentage, but the app apparently is defaulting to 100% most of the time. I wonder if this would affect Smart Control as well.

My app just updated to version 3.11.0 yesterday and it did not fix this behavior.

Edit: I'm using an iPhone and I have a 2020 Vado 5.0
I have a Galaxy Note 20 Ultra and a 2020 Turbo Como 5.0 so it's happening across phone OS and bike models.

Yeah on my ride home today the Smart Control trick didn't work the first time I did it, but it worked later after I tried another power cycle on the bike.

Back