My New Globe Haul ST (2 weeks Old now)

RHOUSER

Region
USA
I traded in a 2018 Expert Carbon Turbo Levo for my new Globe Haul ST. I am 73 years old and the Levo had become too much bike for my riding objectives. I am now Bike and Walking paths and wanted to try to be a bit more "Car-Less" in my daily life.

I have run into a controller to bike error situation. I am getting the C 032 and B 032 error codes. This is a Battery/Controller communication error. I am working with my LBS under warranty and am waiting for a new battery mount from Specialized. This will be a couple of weeks due to logistics issue at Specialized. I love the bike so far, so I am hoping for a solution sooner than later.

The fix for this code is to remove and replace the battery. This does reset the error code but only until the next bump. I have learned that I can reseat it while riding by doing a little bunny hop on the front end. This seems to reset it. Again, till then next "un-setting".

I have done 75 miles so far and it is all errand running that would have been done by car. The bank, grocery store, hardware store, pharmacy, and even fast food pickups have been done on the ST. It is a perfect small hauler for me. I did PAY to have my version of perfect. I really have every option that is NOT passenger oriented. Front Rack, Front and Rear Panniers, 2 bottle cages (one water, one coffee), and the throttle. The throttle is really a big plus for my safety in my Urban Shopping travels. I use it from the stop at stop lights, traffic circles, and entry/exit from the paths and walkways. Using the throttle instead of the first "big pumps" to get started lets me focus on what's happening in the intersection. It is worth the cost.

My biggest load has been about 65 pounds split between two cave panniers and a basket on the front rack. Due to the low center of gravity with the panniers, this was absolutely a NO drama transport. With the throttle for the starts, huge brakes for the stops, the 5 power levels, and the excellent gearing, it was a great run.

The biggest thing I am getting my head around is that I can make a 23 mile round trip run to the stores and get back with out a 911 call.

I am a new ST owner and a big fan. So far So good.

v/r r

They had some issues with too much grease being used an interfering with the connections. They seem to be plagued by bugs unfortunately.

I am going to hold my judgement on "plagued".

I really like everything about my ST. If I end up with a single "one point" warranty fix, I will be happy. Everything else seems to be living up to the marketing (in my opinion). This is my first "cargo transport" bike and I am using it as such. There is so much stuff that is so well thought out that I really want this bike to be as good as it seems.

Did I mention that my ST transports perfectly on my 6 year old Kuat NV 2 carrier? My new LBS that sold me the Haul St showed me a ramp attachment for my Kuat. Money well spent (again). My LBS did the small install of the ramp "connector" at no charge. Man, I unfold the arm on my carrier, latch on the ramp (which collapses so it fits into my jeep wrangler. Once the ramp is on, I use the "walk mode" button on ST Controller and the darned bike walks itself up the ramp (I guide it up the ramp) and stop it in position to tie it down with the Kuat front arm and back strap. I didn't have to lift a thing and the is good because at 73 years old, heavy stuff seems heavier..... The ramp then just lifts off the carrier, collapses with two thumb nuts and goes into the back of the jeep.

Okay, I am sold. This thing fits into my world. I am heading for the grocery store with the 2 cave panniers and the turbo basket. Are you kidding me? :)

v/r r

I am going to hold my judgement on "plagued".

I really like everything about my ST. If I end up with a single "one point" warranty fix, I will be happy. Everything else seems to be living up to the marketing (in my opinion). This is my first "cargo transport" bike and I am using it as such. There is so much stuff that is so well thought out that I really want this bike to be as good as it seems.

Did I mention that my ST transports perfectly on my 6 year old Kuat NV 2 carrier? My new LBS that sold me the Haul St showed me a ramp attachment for my Kuat. Money well spent (again). My LBS did the small install of the ramp "connector" at no charge. Man, I unfold the arm on my carrier, latch on the ramp (which collapses so it fits into my jeep wrangler. Once the ramp is on, I use the "walk mode" button on ST Controller and the darned bike walks itself up the ramp (I guide it up the ramp) and stop it in position to tie it down with the Kuat front arm and back strap. I didn't have to lift a thing and the is good because at 73 years old, heavy stuff seems heavier..... The ramp then just lifts off the carrier, collapses with two thumb nuts and goes into the back of the jeep.

Okay, I am sold. This thing fits into my world. I am heading for the grocery store with the 2 cave panniers and the turbo basket. Are you kidding me? :)

v/r r
It's a really cool bike, no doubt about that. I bought one and loved so much about the design, handling, carrying capacity, accessories, etc. Power is fantastic, braking is fantastic, lighting is fantastic.

Thought I could get used to the noise, but got more and more annoyed by it over time (did not agree with my tinnitus...) and the ride is so jarring without a suspension post. Ended up returning it and feeling really bummed about that, but it was the right move for me.
We had a few instances of losing throttle power, and complete power in the rain but no error codes. If they haven't, have them check the grease as there are several TSBs on the power issues. Glad it's been working out for you on the whole. I would have put up with any/all other issues if it were quieter. If they make a version with the nearly silent Specialized 2.2 motor I'll be back!

Glad you're enjoying the bike. Does the basket turbo help or hurt battery range?
;^}
Jeremy, it is a silly name (sold as a "Turbo Basket"). I am guessing because it is marketed to support the "Turbo" line of bikes they sell. It is also ugly, but with the MIK plate added to the bottom of the basket (another extra cost) it becomes another "perfect fit" for my world. I can slap it on front or rear any time I need the carry capacity.

It is a perfect bucket to toss my helmet, lock, a fast food bag, and whatever else I suddenly want to carry. A cargo bungy over the top and all is secure.
v/r r

Stefan, why don't they offer the Globe Haul in the EU? I would assume it is regulatory. What am I missing?

v/r r
It is the throttle as well as the 750 W nominal power motor.

To make an expensive mid drive cargo bike to compete with Riese & Müller, Giant, Tern etc, Specialized would need to design a different bike (to accomodate the mid drive motor and a different battery) and resign from the throttle.

Powerwise, the 2.2 motor which nominally is 250 W can actually produce up to 560 W of mechanical power, which is around 700 W electrical. So there would be no issue on the power side, at least.

Stefan, I believe the Haul ST resulted from a deliberate set of design choices. I believe that the Specialized "turbo" series bikes has shown their abilities to produce batteries and mid-drive e-bikes.

I agree the rear hub motor is not an attractive technology, but mine is just about perfect for my world. I know the throttle is kind of "not bicycle" but for me it is a very safe feature to help me enter and exit from the roadways and traffic circles. I concentrate on the traffic and not my pedal rpm.

I value you comments and your opinions/observations. I really did want to know more about your thoughts.

Please stay in touch.

v/r r

Last edited:
@RHOUSER, I didn't mean to be bashing the Globe Haul. @AvalancheRun said he'd like to have a silent Specialized cargo e-bike with the 2.2 motor and I just said it does not look to happen soon, and explained the reasons for that.

Otherwise, I'm happy your Globe Hauls serves its purpose!

Thank you!
I believe the Haul ST resulted from a deliberate set of design choices.
No doubt. If Specialized chose the Riese & Muller way, it would have resulted in a cargo e-bike of a totally different price tier. Now, the controversial matter of the throttle. It is obvious that a heavily loaded cargo e-bike benefits from having a throttle. As the throttle is not allowed in the EU, Specialized wasted no time or money to enter that primary market with a cargo e-bike. (If I am not wrong, Globe Haul is unavailable in Canada because of the motor power greater than 500 W). Bear in mind, the Turbo Division is located in Switzerland, not the EU but in a small rich country associated with the EU. Globe Haul is obviously not designed by the Turbo Division.

Specialized designed the Globe Haul ST specifically for the North American market. For the first year they were out they were USA only. I'm seeing people in Canada report they are having them delivered to a Specialized dealer as soon as April 2024. At a guess Specialized tested market acceptance first in the home market before branching out. Specialized has publicly said they specifically targeted North American riders with this bike (and the follow-up longtail version that came out a short time ago).

My neighbor has a Globe ST and her husband reports she loves it. But I haven't seen her try and ride straight up the hill we live on. I think she has to go the long way around that is not as steep. The ST has the torque advantage of smaller-diameter tires but otherwise its hamstrung with that hub motor in hills.

Thank you!

No doubt. If Specialized chose the Riese & Muller way, it would have resulted in a cargo e-bike of a totally different price tier. Now, the controversial matter of the throttle. It is obvious that a heavily loaded cargo e-bike benefits from having a throttle. As the throttle is not allowed in the EU, Specialized wasted no time or money to enter that primary market with a cargo e-bike. (If I am not wrong, Globe Haul is unavailable in Canada because of the motor power greater than 500 W). Bear in mind, the Turbo Division is located in Switzerland, not the EU but in a small rich country associated with the EU. Globe Haul is obviously not designed by the Turbo Division.
Based on the enthusiastic reception of the Globe I really hope they do consider a Specialized line of cargo bikes. My belief is the market is there for a $5-10k+ cargo bike that can replace a car, and will only grow.
Specialized designed the Globe Haul ST specifically for the North American market. For the first year they were out they were USA only. I'm seeing people in Canada report they are having them delivered to a Specialized dealer as soon as April 2024. At a guess Specialized tested market acceptance first in the home market before branching out. Specialized has publicly said they specifically targeted North American riders with this bike (and the follow-up longtail version that came out a short time ago).

My neighbor has a Globe ST and her husband reports she loves it. But I haven't seen her try and ride straight up the hill we live on. I think she has to go the long way around that is not as steep. The ST has the torque advantage of smaller-diameter tires but otherwise its hamstrung with that hub motor in hills.
Compared to my 75 nm torque Gazelle, the Haul feels like it's 2X stronger at climbing hills. I never struggled on anything in the 12-14% range, often going uphill around 18 mph on a 10% hill (compared to 6-8 mph). It could do the 10% on throttle only with ease. Awesome hill climber.

Compared to my 75 nm torque Gazelle, the Haul feels like it's 2X stronger at climbing hills. I never struggled on anything in the 12-14% range, often going uphill around 18 mph on a 10% hill (compared to 6-8 mph). It could do the 10% on throttle only with ease. Awesome hill climber.
Could it do it with a cargo load? Add 100 lbs to the bike and then what happens?

This is the best video I have ever seen that tests (14 different) hub motor bikes going up a long, somewhat steep hill. Throttle-only from a dead stop after a repeatable short run-up, which measures only the bike's ability to get up a hill and factor's out the rider's muscle power.

I do applaud Specialized for entering the North American e-cargo market with a bike of reasonable quality, where most of the competition is direct-to-consumer junk from the perspective of a cyclist. A mid-drive cargo solution would be much more versatile, but priced too high to make much of a splash here.

Based on the enthusiastic reception of the Globe I really hope they do consider a Specialized line of cargo bikes. My belief is the market is there for a $5-10k+ cargo bike that can replace a car, and will only grow.
It could have caught in North America but it didn't catch in Europe. You won't see cargo e-bikes in Germany (the biggest e-bike market in the Western civilization) or Britain (if people there need anything it is the cheap powerful Chinese e-bike as used by food delivery couriers).

The only European capital city teeming with cargo e-bikes is Copenhagen. It is a relatively small city (almost no hills) with perfect bike infrastructure where everybody is commuting with a bicycle.

1707505441540.png

Copenhagen is served by a manufacturer by the name of Christiania Bikes (located in so-called Free City of Christiania). These e-bikes are even available in the United States with their prices ranging from US$3,000 (simple rear hub-drive motor) to US$8,475 (a mid-drive version). This photo was taken by @Brix in August 2021 when we were exploring Denmark together.

I am sure the strategic departments of Specialized can perfectly assess the market needs in different world regions.

Thats a bit over the top. Just for starters Bullitts with electric assist are popular in Germany, where a local firm has developed a marvel that uses a rear hub motor, a redesigned rear triangle to take a heavier tire, and a pinion gearbox.

A bunch of my carbon fiber parts for my own bike came from a German firm that caters to Bullitts.

And of course Reise & Muller is a German firm who sells perhaps the biggest electric cargo bikes anywhere (certainly the most expensive).

Anywhere Berlin developed an incredible fat tire frontloader that makes my Bullitt look like a pup. But they focused its release to the third world where it can be made easily in low tech workshops.

When visiting family in the Brussels metro area and using a bike to get around, I see plenty of e-cargo bikes (more without motors, but many with as well). The vast majority are R-M's.

Could it do it with a cargo load? Add 100 lbs to the bike and then what happens?

This is the best video I have ever seen that tests (14 different) hub motor bikes going up a long, somewhat steep hill. Throttle-only from a dead stop after a repeatable short run-up, which measures only the bike's ability to get up a hill and factor's out the rider's muscle power.

I do applaud Specialized for entering the North American e-cargo market with a bike of reasonable quality, where most of the competition is direct-to-consumer junk from the perspective of a cyclist. A mid-drive cargo solution would be much more versatile, but priced too high to make much of a splash here.
I did it with all the accessories installed and 50-60 lbs of groceries. Didn’t notice much of a difference. We didn't go uphill with a passenger but it felt similar on 0-3% inc
I am sure the strategic departments of Specialized can perfectly assess the market needs in different world regions.
I'm sure they're great, but not perfect. Hence why there is a glut of bikes that they cannot sell. We're going into mid February and the Vado sale from June is still going. Nobody has a crystal ball.

When visiting family in the Brussels metro area and using a bike to get around, I see plenty of e-cargo bikes (more without motors, but many with as well). The vast majority are R-M's.
Brussels could be the city where cargo e-bikes are used. I could not see a single cargo e-bike in Berlin or Frankfurt/M. Even if there was a store for Arrow e-bikes in the latter!

Back