Another update with my battery shut-off problem

wings02

After calling Juice for support of my battery shut-off issue, they walked me through some troubleshooting. They wanted me to see check te settings on the display screen along with sending them a picture of the display while in an advanced setting mode. They finally decided the battery was malfunctioning and offered to send me a Re-built battery free of charge! This will be the second battery they sent me. Let me take a moment to praise Juiced bikes for what they are doing and the timely support they have provided. They are truly a consumer conscious company. Getting back to my issue, as I am waiting for my new battery to arrive, I decided to go for a bike ride yesterday. I bought my wife a Crosscurrent Step-thru bike a year ago and unfortunately she has never ridden it due to back and knee issues. As it sits in the garage, I maintain a charge to the battery. I decided to use her battery in my bike. As I began my ride, i noticed the battery meter went down one bar a little under a mile into my ride. As I approached a little over a mile, guess what? the bike died. I got home and tried turning on the battery switch. No light. After wating a couple of hours, I tried again and nothing. I charged the battery for around 5-6 hours and the light turned on as I pressed the switch. As I await to recieve my battery from Juiced, I am begining to think I have a problem with my bike, not the battery. In my original post, I got some very helpful tips from members as to what the problem could be. Issues like bad connections and brake sensor malfunctions were discussed. I did check the connections but not the brake sensors. It stands to reason that since the battery cuts off and doesn't come back on, but eventually does, a bad connection or brake sensening issue would be ruled out. With a bad connection, i would understand the bike dying but I should be able to still turn on the battery. I feel there is something else wrong with my bike besides the battery.
I will be calling Juiced but if anyone has other thoughts as to what could be wrong, I would appreciate any input. Thank you and happy holidays!

What is the battery state of charge (SOC) when the bike shuts off? You need to check the voltage to find out.

After your bike shuts off, try putting the battery, (without re charging), in your wife's bike and see if it works. The problem could be a bad controller.

The other battery may have only been partially charged after sitting for a year. You didn't say what happened after it got a six hour charge, Does it work normally now? Or try it on the other bike if you suspect your bike to be the culprit.

What is the battery state of charge (SOC) when the bike shuts off? You need to check the voltage to find out.

After your bike shuts off, try putting the battery, (without re charging), in your wife's bike and see if it works. The problem could be a bad controller.
That is a great idea. I will try it

The battery in my wife's bike was charged monthly. I have not tried to ride since charging. I will try tomorrow. Thank you

I called Juiced today and after describing the symptoms, they felt it was the controller that is causing the problem. I purchased one for $224 complete with the assurance that if that isn't the cause, they will take it back and refund me the amount I paid. To be continued!!!

After calling Juice for support of my battery shut-off issue, they walked me through some troubleshooting. They wanted me to see check te settings on the display screen along with sending them a picture of the display while in an advanced setting mode. They finally decided the battery was malfunctioning and offered to send me a Re-built battery free of charge! This will be the second battery they sent me. Let me take a moment to praise Juiced bikes for what they are doing and the timely support they have provided. They are truly a consumer conscious company. Getting back to my issue, as I am waiting for my new battery to arrive, I decided to go for a bike ride yesterday. I bought my wife a Crosscurrent Step-thru bike a year ago and unfortunately she has never ridden it due to back and knee issues. As it sits in the garage, I maintain a charge to the battery. I decided to use her battery in my bike. As I began my ride, i noticed the battery meter went down one bar a little under a mile into my ride. As I approached a little over a mile, guess what? the bike died. I got home and tried turning on the battery switch. No light. After wating a couple of hours, I tried again and nothing. I charged the battery for around 5-6 hours and the light turned on as I pressed the switch. As I await to recieve my battery from Juiced, I am begining to think I have a problem with my bike, not the battery. In my original post, I got some very helpful tips from members as to what the problem could be. Issues like bad connections and brake sensor malfunctions were discussed. I did check the connections but not the brake sensors. It stands to reason that since the battery cuts off and doesn't come back on, but eventually does, a bad connection or brake sensening issue would be ruled out. With a bad connection, i would understand the bike dying but I should be able to still turn on the battery. I feel there is something else wrong with my bike besides the battery.
I will be calling Juiced but if anyone has other thoughts as to what could be wrong, I would appreciate any input. Thank you and happy holidays!
Just a comment on Charging Lithium's. You state your Wife's 1 yr old Crosscurrent Step-Thru isn't being used and you've maintained a Charge during that time. Rechargeable Lithium's are pretty particular about Storage, especially as long as a year or more. The bottom line is storing them and maintaining them to a Fully Charged state will absolutely effect their Life span, or "Duty Cycle" rating.
Rechargeable Lithium's are best stored at near at 40%-50% charge and fully charge them just before use. There are plenty of Lithium Battery knowledgeable websites who can attest to this. Some websites focused on Lithium Safety will give advise on the physical storage of these Batt's but know nothing about the recommended SOC for storage. Battery University is another Gr8 website on these batteries if you want to learn more.
I'm not suggesting this is at the root of your Loss of Power issues w/ the Crosscurrent, but the replacement costs on these are 10 x that of an automobile battery and they don't last as long. When you get your new replacement battery I'd suggest just rotating in the Step-Thru's batt just to cycle it and store it at a mid charge.
Happy Trails !

Back