Himiway headlight upgrade

jdwilker

Region
USA
The headlight on my Cruiser is so dim I could hang a kerosene lamp on the handle bar and get more light. I'd like to upgrade it with a brighter light that would be a plug in replacement (not a separate self-powered light). I can't find any specifications on the light controller and don't want to over tax it with a light that draws too much current. Has anyone done an upgrade with a brighter light?

I have a Cobra Pro and the standard 48v headlight was more like a daytime running safety light compared to something for evening/night riding. I removed the standard light and replaced with one of my the NiteRider Enduro Pro 3600 lumens off another fat tire ebike. I added a handlebar extension and small bag for the NiteRider 8 cell battery. I like the feature of the NiteRider of a blinking light during daytime "share the road" riding for an added layer of safety.

I tossed my 48v light on a shelf and don't know how it compares or if compatible with your Cruiser? Willing let you have it if you pay for shipping.

Odier Handlebar extender, Amazon, $30: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CH78SKS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
Lepeiqi handlebar bag, Amazon, $12: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09Y134MJJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Himiway Handlebar.jpg

I have a Cobra Pro and the standard 48v headlight was more like a daytime running safety light compared to something for evening/night riding. I removed the standard light and replaced with one of my the NiteRider Enduro Pro 3600 lumens off another fat tire ebike. I added a handlebar extension and small bag for the NiteRider 8 cell battery. I like the feature of the NiteRider of a blinking light during daytime "share the road" riding for an added layer of safety.

I tossed my 48v light on a shelf and don't know how it compares or if compatible with your Cruiser? Willing let you have it if you pay for shipping.

Odier Handlebar extender, Amazon, $30: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CH78SKS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
Lepeiqi handlebar bag, Amazon, $12: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09Y134MJJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

View attachment 166835

I got my NiteRider lights way back in 2016-2018 pieced together off eBay. Probably paid between 1/3 to 1/2 of MSRP back then used. I also have NiteRider Enduro Pro 2200 for my helmet I used to night ride the single-track in the foothills or near the Rio Grande river in ABQ. Having an helmet light was probably my best safety investment when I started ebike work commuting at 5am. Cars were able to see me way better driving from side streets as they approached me that early in the morning. Sometimes that kind of traffic couldn't see my handlebar mounted light as well because of vegetation or parked cars. I would check into some type of aux light for your helmet if you plan to ride at night on city streets.

NiteRider Enduro Pro 2200 with Light & Motion Vis 180 Pro:
Bike Helmet.jpg

getting a decent light that puts light only on the road and not in the eyes of drivers is always going to cost more. I got the one trek sells for their bosch powered bike and it works great at keeping the light on the road unless on high and even then its better then most at 200.00 it takes less light with a better beam I think its 800 lumins and it does better then my 1000 lumin night rider.

I would suggest not worrying about wiring it to the bike system and using a standalone rechargeable. Tough to have your cake and eat it too if you want bright light but not increase bike battery consumption.
This is the one I just picked up (before they ran out of stock as it's on sale) It's super bright for 850 lumins, has multiple settings, clips off easy to recharge, and was a decent price for a very high quality light.
I would imagine they will get more stock soon. I just got mine two weeks ago.
Specialized Flux 850

I would suggest not worrying about wiring it to the bike system and using a standalone rechargeable. Tough to have your cake and eat it too if you want bright light but not increase bike battery consumption.
This is the one I just picked up (before they ran out of stock as it's on sale) It's super bright for 850 lumins, has multiple settings, clips off easy to recharge, and was a decent price for a very high quality light.
I would imagine they will get more stock soon. I just got mine two weeks ago.
Specialized Flux 850
Since I have a USB port on my bike display, I wonder if I could connect the light to that to extend run-time with out taxing the bike controller?

The headlight on my Cruiser is so dim I could hang a kerosene lamp on the handle bar and get more light. I'd like to upgrade it with a brighter light that would be a plug in replacement (not a separate self-powered light). I can't find any specifications on the light controller and don't want to over tax it with a light that draws too much current. Has anyone done an upgrade with a brighter light?

Back