Soltera.2

BigNerd

So now that we are doing longer, faster rides with the e-bikes, our kids can't hang so we decided to get another Soltera... but this is the sequel, Soltera.2: Electric Boogaloo!

This is our experience with the original Soltera:

I was disappointed when someone posted that the Soltera would be discontinued... turns out they came out with a better version... slightly heavier but now with a torque sensor and upgraded lights.

There was a sale for $1199 and a coupon for $75 so we got this cheaper than our first Soltera and this time we got the Large (we have the Regular) for me.

Took me about an hour to build (we bought our first one assembled at a local bike shop) and it wasn't too bad since I had built the Espin Sport about 3 year ago. There were lots of breaks in between because I was also doing some other stuff int he house so it probably only takes half an hour or less. Assembly was attach the handlebars to the stem, tighten handlebars, attach front wheel (bolt on, not quick release), attach pedals and put on the seat. I still have to put on the front and rear reflectors but I got lazy.

Took it for a quick spin (uses same battery as OG Soltera) and did notice the torque sensor is different. Also instead of PAS 0-5, it's now Off/Eco/Touring/Sport/Turbo. Not sure why they went with the words vs the numbers but whatever. Because it was only around the block, didn't really get a chance to differentiate between each mode and will do so later this week or this weekend.

It's very much like our original one but the bigger size is more suited for me. It's lighter than the Espin Sport and feels more like a normal bike. Let's see how much range I can get with the smaller motor/.battery but lighter bike.

Now at least one of our kids can go on our extra long excursions.

I posted this on @Taylor57 Level 2 thread:
I'm actually split on the torque sensor on the Soltera.2.

I understand the concept but I don't think it saves battery life as Aventon is claiming.

I've been doing some testing with and the old cadence sensor Soltera (so basically the same bike) and the OG one saves on battery more (this is with my wife who rode the same route with both... although she barely fit on the Soltera.2).

And if you're used to a cadence sensor, the power to speed expectation is different. For example, if you are pedaling the same "cadence", going up a PAS level on a cadence sensor will usually increate your speed... going up a PAS level with the torque sensor, if you are pedaling the same cadence, doesn't necessarily mean you will go faster or get more power unless you are "pushing" harder at that cadence. Not sure if that makes sense but that's sort of what I've noticed after riding about 50+ miles on the Soltera.2 vs my Espin Sport. And that makes sense... the torque system requires more "force" to get more power... so to actually go faster you have to pedal "harder" which feels more natural but uses more effort. So I get a better workout with the torque sensor but I don't get the same speed (especially uphill) with it.

After about 3 days of testing similar routes with the Soltera.2, I took my Espin out today to compare and it definitely is a different experience.

Rode a 23 miler on Sunday and I think I've finally got the torque sensor figured out. I have to combo it more with gears to get the right ratio and I have to remember this is a 350w motor vs the 500w of my Espin. But it still was able to get my big body up some steep inclines and get through the ride with about 45% battery left. It does feel good to use 0 PAS more because it's lighter and has thinner tires (who said thinner tires aren't faster? :) ) and I also raised the top speed from 20 to 25mph (have to use the app as it's no longer a display option).

One other thing... and not sure if it's the Large size or the newer model, but the tires use Schrader valves instead of those annoying Presta ones. :)

I just purchased a Solterra 2 last night! I can't wait to assemble it and start riding. How long did shipping take with your bike?

So I'm getting the E25 brake error. I need to cycle/press the right/rear brake in order for power to start flowing when I'm in PAS or I get no power.

Reached out to Aventon support a week ago and no response so I updated the ticket.

Added a stem riser which helped with a pinched shoulder nerve I was getting when I had to hunch over:

And replaced the seat post with a $20 suspension post from Amazon:

Both made a big difference in making my ride more comfortable and the shock post really helps soften the ride.

So I'm getting the E25 brake error. I need to cycle/press the right/rear brake in order for power to start flowing when I'm in PAS or I get no power.

Reached out to Aventon support a week ago and no response so I updated the ticket.

Added a stem riser which helped with a pinched shoulder nerve I was getting when I had to hunch over:

And replaced the seat post with a $20 suspension post from Amazon:

Both made a big difference in making my ride more comfortable and the shock post really helps soften the ride.
I called the other day and it took awhile but I got a guy on the phone regarding a few bolts for my Level 2. He was a nice guy but not super knowledgeable about the Level 2 fender assembly...

I've had my Solterra 2 for a few weeks now, so far I'm loving it but it definitely needs some upgrades to absorb shock. I had a headache the other day when I took it for a spin and getting out of my neighborhood was a bit rough. Our streets have lots of cracks and little bumps to push through before you get to the bike paths and smoother city roads. I'm looking into a suspension stem first since I felt most of the feedback coming up through my arms.

That being said, I don't regret my decision to buy an e-bike with a rigid frame in the slightest. The efficiency on this thing is incredible, I don't need to go past PAS 1 for 90-100% of my ride depending on where I'm headed, instead I use the throttle for a quick boost wherever I need it. The higher assist levels are best used when I start feeling a bit sore in my knees, I'm unused to riding frequently and it definitely helps to take the load off while I'm easing back into it. Went on a 10-mile bike ride this past Wednesday and it was a blast, battery was at 100% when I left and 87% when I got back. I have heard that e-bikes tend to eat through their percentage slower for the first 50% of the battery life, and faster through the last 50%. I haven't actually tested how far the battery will get me yet, but I suspect I can get at least 20 miles out of one charge, which is great.

PS: The recyclable packaging really elevated the whole experience of getting it delivered and assembling the bike, it didn't feel wasteful. I imagine I would have been a bit distraught to have to deal with the same volume of packaging in plastic materials.

Last edited:
@SleepyAlgae Did you make the chair out of the box? I found out about it after I threw some away.

Also installed a $20 suspension seat post and it helps absorb the bumps.

I remember seeing the blueprints for it printed on the inside of the box! I didn't make it though, instead we cut up the cardboard to use as weed control in the garden.

Good to know about the suspension seat, I'll look into that as well. My analog bike has thicker road tires and a front suspension, I think I miss the suspension fork more than I miss the thicker tires.

You can get a suspension handlebar stem, but they are pricey... the Redshift one everyone recommends is around $200. I found a cheaper one for $80 on Amazon but I need to find a less than $30 one. :)

You can get a suspension handlebar stem, but they are pricey... the Redshift one everyone recommends is around $200. I found a cheaper one for $80 on Amazon but I need to find a less than $30 one. :)
Be careful. A stem or handlebar failure could be a life-changing event at speed.

I'm happy with the Suntour SP 12 from Amazon. Under a hundred bucks and I think I have purchased 6 or 7. Huge improvement on ride comfort...

Soltera.2 step through now discontinued except they will have a Solt.2 ST in a new small frame. Major disappointment to me as I was anticipating getting Solt.2 ST in regular size frame.

I heard from a bike shop that sells Aventon that they understand Aventon may be coming out with a newer version of the Soltera that will include a step thru. I wanted a step thru Soltera.2 but they had none in stock.

Back