Has anyone used a Speedbox 3.0 B on Supercharger2?

OldTrouserFace

Region
United Kingdom
Hi.

I’m loving my Supercharger 2 but I am finding the cut out at 15.5mph a bit tiresome. I’m not fussed about doing 30mph or anything, I’d just like it to be giving some assistance up to about 22mph.

I’ve had a look around and looks like the Speedbox 3.0 B is the best option to help.

So, has anyone else used this on their SC2? Has it has any impact on the motor? Anything I should be concerned about?
Any advice would be welcomed!

Thanks,
OTF

Is that a European limit? 25kph? This is actually one of the things that turned me off about the Bosch system. They seem to have some great components, but their software and setup seems very complex and locked down to the point where even dealers can't adjust things. And then sometimes you end up with a motor with a European limit in NA and they're not very helpful.

Hi.

I’m loving my Supercharger 2 but I am finding the cut out at 15.5mph a bit tiresome. I’m not fussed about doing 30mph or anything, I’d just like it to be giving some assistance up to about 22mph.

I’ve had a look around and looks like the Speedbox 3.0 B is the best option to help.

So, has anyone else used this on their SC2? Has it has any impact on the motor? Anything I should be concerned about?
Any advice would be welcomed!

Thanks,
OTF
We use the German company Bikespeed delimiters on all five of our Bosch CX powered bikes. You can order them online.

Last edited:
Is that a European limit? 25kph? This is actually one of the things that turned me off about the Bosch system. They seem to have some great components, but their software and setup seems very complex and locked down to the point where even dealers can't adjust things. And then sometimes you end up with a motor with a European limit in NA and they're not very helpful.
The law means law in some world regions. Euro companies do not want to be prosecuted by various state agencies or experience a class-action lawsuit here. Bosch is especially paranoiac in this matter (a huge German bureaucratic corporation with automotive background). That's why a batch of motors specifically made for the EU or UK cannot be reprogrammed for the US even by Bosch!

Specialized respects the laws but they did the geofencing differently. The same motor could be used in the EU/UK/Australia or in Canada or the United States by reprogramming the motor but the dealer software is geofenced. You can still buy a L1e-B, or a 45 km/h (28 mph) e-bike in Europe or UK but it is a street legal moped with all safety bells and whistles that needs to be registered, insured and handled exactly as if it were a 50 cc ICE scooter.

Fun fact: The Specialized Vado 6.0 is a L1e-B. Its unique 1.2s motor has been optimized for speed and it has the connectors for a horn and automotive grade lighting including the STOP light (I do not need to mention premium brakes or drivetrain). Once, I needed the dealer to set the Wheel Circumference to the value appropriate for my new tyres. The dealer connected the Vado to the Turbo Studio... then there was a long silence. Eventually, the man asked me to look at his screen. There was a read-only value of 2300 mm for the Wheel Circumference! All because everything in the L1e-B is Type Approved including the tyre model! (The last ever firmware update for Vado 6.0 has corrected the value to the proper 2255 mm).

While a regular Vado 5.0 is a 25 km/h (15.5 mph) bicycle in EU/UK/AUS or a 32 km/h bicycle in Canada, or a 28 mph Class 3 e-bike in the United States! It is only geofenced by the dealer software!

I understand people who want to derestrict their e-bikes in Europe or UK. It is their own responsibility, including the potential warranty loss.

Last edited:
I wasn’t there at the time, but my wife said the LBS offered to delimit her MultiCharger Mixte non-HS once the Bosch warranty expired.
This is in NZ

I wasn’t there at the time, but my wife said the LBS offered to delimit her MultiCharger Mixte non-HS once the Bosch warranty expired.
This is in NZ
I doubt they can do that its up the bosch rep they have to ok it unless they were talking about a hardware solution.

It is done by a dongle.
yes, I know of some hardware dongles that do it, but I presume Bosch may have some firmware options as well - it would make sense for them to build their motors all the same and then just limit them via software - Similar to Microsoft Windows. Build one version of the OS and then just turn off/on features based on activation key.
You don't even need a reboot now to upgrade between Windows Editions!

yes, I know of some hardware dongles that do it, but I presume Bosch may have some firmware options as well - it would make sense for them to build their motors all the same and then just limit them via software - Similar to Microsoft Windows. Build one version of the OS and then just turn off/on features based on activation key.
You don't even need a reboot now to upgrade between Windows Editions!
No, Sam. A Bosch guy in these Forums explained it very carefully. A batch for motors built for a given region is hardcoded for max speed, and even Bosch cannot reprogram the motor.

It is Specialized that geofences the motors by dealer software.

No, Sam. A Bosch guy in these Forums explained it very carefully. A batch for motors built for a given region is hardcoded for max speed, and even Bosch cannot reprogram the motor.

It is Specialized that geofences the motors by dealer software.
thanks mate - I did read that, although I had just woken up when I did. I interpreted it as for those markets that have very strong compliance regulations (like Germany) the motors are hardcoded for max speed, but in other markets it's a firmware setting for HS/non-HS.

My parents' aging Specialized Como are still going strong. I introduced them to a couople of R&M options (Load, MultiCharger) and they concluded they were just too big and heavy for them to manage.

I interpreted it as for those markets that have very strong compliance regulations (like Germany) the motors are hardcoded for max speed, but in other markets it's a firmware setting for HS/non-HS.
No no. For instance, a motor made for Canada is hardcoded for 32 km/h, which incidentally is the U.S. Class 1 and can be sold in the United States as Class 1, too.

The Bosch Speed motors are special. These include connectors for Supernova Pro M99 lighting. They have a connector to provide STOP indication by tail-light (it requires compatible brakes!) These have a connector for a horn. As the Speed motor is Type Approved as a L1e-B, it has parameters such as wheel circumference read only. This motor cannot operate without the operating display with the speedometer, either.

The direct Specialized counterpart with exactly the same features is the 1.2s (Brose TF). It even requires a compatible TCD-w(L1e-B) display!

No no. For instance, a motor made for Canada is hardcoded for 32 km/h, which incidentally is the U.S. Class 1 and can be sold in the United States as Class 1, too.

The Bosch Speed motors are special. These include connectors for Supernova Pro M99 lighting. They have a connector to provide STOP indication by tail-light (it requires compatible brakes!) These have a connector for a horn. As the Speed motor is Type Approved as a L1e-B, it has parameters such as wheel circumference read only. This motor cannot operate without the operating display with the speedometer, either.

The direct Specialized counterpart with exactly the same features is the 1.2s (Brose TF). It even requires a compatible TCD-w(L1e-B) display!
I do love the Brose on my eMTB Turbo Levo Comp Alloy - it's a beast of a motor and SO quiet:

1695244271961.png

The law means law in some world regions. Euro companies do not want to be prosecuted by various state agencies or experience a class-action lawsuit here. Bosch is especially paranoiac in this matter (a huge German bureaucratic corporation with automotive background). That's why a batch of motors specifically made for the EU or UK cannot be reprogrammed for the US even by Bosch!

Specialized respects the laws but they did the geofencing differently. The same motor could be used in the EU/UK/Australia or in Canada or the United States by reprogramming the motor but the dealer software is geofenced. You can still buy a L1e-B, or a 45 km/h (28 mph) e-bike in Europe or UK but it is a street legal moped with all safety bells and whistles that needs to be registered, insured and handled exactly as if it were a 50 cc ICE scooter.

Fun fact: The Specialized Vado 6.0 is a L1e-B. Its unique 1.2s motor has been optimized for speed and it has the connectors for a horn and automotive grade lighting including the STOP light (I do not need to mention premium brakes or drivetrain). Once, I needed the dealer to set the Wheel Circumference to the value appropriate for my new tyres. The dealer connected the Vado to the Turbo Studio... then there was a long silence. Eventually, the man asked me to look at his screen. There was a read-only value of 2300 mm for the Wheel Circumference! All because everything in the L1e-B is Type Approved including the tyre model! (The last ever firmware update for Vado 6.0 has corrected the value to the proper 2255 mm).

While a regular Vado 5.0 is a 25 km/h (15.5 mph) bicycle in EU/UK/AUS or a 32 km/h bicycle in Canada, or a 28 mph Class 3 e-bike in the United States! It is only geofenced by the dealer software!

I understand people who want to derestrict their e-bikes in Europe or UK. It is their own responsibility, including the potential warranty loss. Embarking on an 8 days tour from casablanca is a captivating journey through the heart of Morocco's diverse landscapes and rich cultural heritage. Beginning in the bustling city of Casablanca, you'll immerse yourself in its unique blend of modernity and tradition. The adventure takes you deep into the Atlas Mountains, where you'll discover picturesque valleys and traditional Berber villages, offering a glimpse into Morocco's timeless way of life. Your journey continues through historical kasbahs, lush oases, and the awe-inspiring Sahara Desert, where you can ride camels across the rolling dunes, experience breathtaking sunsets, and spend nights under the starry desert sky in nomadic camps. The tour concludes in Marrakech, known for its vibrant medina, historical sites, and bustling markets. This 8-day tour promises an immersive experience, leaving you with cherished memories of Morocco's diverse beauty, culture, and traditions.
Hi, have you tried using one of these on the new Bosch motors yet?

This is in NZ
I have a non-HS muliticharger I bought used so have no warranty that I would love to get re-programmed if possible. Do you know what LBS is was? I am in Christchurch.

Attachments

• 20240223_075619.jpg
    20240223_075619.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 19
Back