Has anyone replaced the abus wheel lock on their R&M?

PDL

Region
United Kingdom
Hi, the Abus wheel lock that came on my Multicharger, bought in November, no longer works. It started with difficulties pushing the mechanism across and now the only way to lock it is to push it as far as it will go and then use a lot of force to push it a bit further. For a while I thought I couldn’t lock it anymore, but actually I can with that extra bit of force.

I took it ro my deeply disappointing and unprofessional dealer who basically said it’s not a great lock, then suggested I had probably ruined it by not unlocking before taking the bike off the stand. I have done that a few times ( not tried to pedal or anything), but I’ve done that on all my wheel locks previously without any issue. If a spoke can destroy a lock, the lock is useless anyway.

So instead of replacing it with another one (and I think having to fight the dealer to get it done under warranty), I’m thinking of replacing it with an axa victory or similar. I’ve had numerous axa wheel locks on previous bikes and they always had smooth, precise mechanisms and never a problem with them like this.

Has anyone done this? I think they are exchangeable in terms of the sizing and screw holes, but not 100% sure. Any experiences would be great to hear about before I place an order.

Thanks

Just wanted to write an update. I took the bike to another shop, one that has been around for decades and the people there are real bike enthusiasts. The mechanic looked at the look and just added some lubrication and it now works as it did when I first got the bike in November. I don't quite understand how it could have become as bad as it did in such as short time. It's not even parked outdoors most of the time, but I'm happy with not having to replace the lock so early on. The Abus is still not as smooth or precise as the Axa wheel locks, but it's fine and feels reliable enough now.

I just got my supercharger, went to the grocery in the cold, and couldn't get the wheel lock to unlock. I kept turning the key, moving the mechanism up and down, key in and out, clockwise and counter clockwise.

Went back into the grocery, bought a small can of wd40, and more or less hosed the entire lock. One minute later and poof - it unlocked.

I wish the lock were easier to service and grease, but I would recommend using wd40 as needed in tight times.

I just got my supercharger, went to the grocery in the cold, and couldn't get the wheel lock to unlock. I kept turning the key, moving the mechanism up and down, key in and out, clockwise and counter clockwise.

Went back into the grocery, bought a small can of wd40, and more or less hosed the entire lock. One minute later and poof - it unlocked.

I wish the lock were easier to service and grease, but I would recommend using wd40 as needed in tight times.
Don’t use wd40 it’s not a lube use a good light lube. I have found most abus locks need lubed to work well.

Back