Tern HSD gen 2

Dewey

Region
USA
City
Arlington, Virginia
Arleigh Greenwald lists the US specs for the upcoming Tern HSD 2nd generation on a blog post. The frame strengthening reportedly increases the load capacity on the front rack by 22lb, and on the rear rack by 44lb, this brings the rear rack weight limit up to 176lb, enough to carry an adult passenger. The Bosch Smart System Performance motor with 75Nm is standard on the three Class 1 models S00, P5i, P10, and the Performance Line Sport is on the Class 3 S11. The Kiox 300 display is on the S00 AND S11 which introduces GPS turn directions on the display via the Bosch Flow phone app, and a RearStop brake light is on the S models.

We owned the gen 1 Tern HSD S+ (the one with automatic Enviolo drive and carbon belt) and enjoyed it a lot. It's main drawback was its wimpy Bosch motor with only 65Nm of torque (which, I feel, was an exagerated figure). It's good to know that the gen 2 HSD's now have a more powerful motor, but I think all cargo bikes should be outfitted with Bosch Cargo Line 85Nm motors (or better yet, Yamaha motors!), as the Tern GSD line is.

We shipped our HSD S+ to my daughter in Seattle, and she uses it to ferry my granddaughter to preschool. It is a substantial upgrade from their Radwagon, which was stolen.

Despite the wimpy Bosch motor, the folks at Tern are great. Arleigh Greenwald and Josh Schlee both provided great support for our HSD S+ when we needed it.

I agree the power upgrade was needed for how this bike is used as a mini cargo bike by most owners. The reactions on the HSD owners Facebook group include complaints about the HSD's lack of the GSD's Sidekick lower decks, or DuoStand, or Tail-Hitch-L, and the lack of a rigid fork option due to the Suntour suspension fork's 50 hr between service interval. The list reads like people are looking for the Cargo capabilities of the GSD on the shorter HSD bike.

Interesting to read Tern is dropping the Automatiq Enviolo option on the HSD S00 in favor of the manual twist shifter, and Tern are not bringing the Kindernay 7 IGH EU HSD model to the US, in exchange for the Class 3 S11 model.

Last edited:
@Dewey, a friend from Europe is very much interested in buying a Tern GSD S10, especially because a good discount he can get now.
What could you tell me about this cargo e-bike? Is it good?

@Dewey, a friend from Europe is very much interested in buying a Tern GSD S10, especially because a good discount he can get now.
What could you tell me about this cargo e-bike? Is it good?

Thread is regarding the HSD gen 2.

That said, GSD's are arguably the best cargo bike on the market from my experience. The product/accessory lineup they have make the bikes incredibly versatile. Combine that with the industry leading Bosch Cargo rated motor, the GSD does anything asked. I put about 2k miles on my S10 LX last couple of years and couldn't be more impressed with it's performance, utility, and overall fun ride!

Make sure he installs Tannus Armour at least in the rear tire, and make sure he keeps the tire pressures checked!

Thread is regarding the HSD gen 2.

That said, GSD's are arguably the best cargo bike on the market from my experience. The product/accessory lineup they have make the bikes incredibly versatile. Combine that with the industry leading Bosch Cargo rated motor, the GSD does anything asked. I put about 2k miles on my S10 LX last couple of years and couldn't be more impressed with it's performance, utility, and overall fun ride!

Make sure he installs Tannus Armour at least in the rear tire, and make sure he keeps the tire pressures checked!
Thank you Brendon!
He is in Belgium, a clean country. For what reason do you recommend Tannus Armour?

Thank you Brendon!
He is in Belgium, a clean country. For what reason do you recommend Tannus Armour?

No problem!

The bike's ability to haul heavy cargo can put quite a bit of pressure on the rear tire especially. Tannus is a great preventative measure against pinch flats. Also, since the rear tire is pretty enclosed, folks don't check the tire pressure often which can lead to the same fate.

No problem!

The bike's ability to haul heavy cargo can put quite a bit of pressure on the rear tire especially. Tannus is a great preventative measure against pinch flats. Also, since the rear tire is pretty enclosed, folks don't check the tire pressure often which can lead to the same fate.
Brendon, what accessories should he buy to carry a little kid (6 months of age)?

1702112145433.png

Is this a good idea?

Brendon, what accessories should he buy to carry a little kid (6 months of age)?

View attachment 167807
Is this a good idea?

Ah, good question!

Again, doesn't pertain to the thread, but happy to help!

My immediate go-to add ons are:
Sidekick Widedeck
Lockstand Extensions
Hauler or Transporteur front rack
Captain's Chair or Clubhouse+

The Storm Shield kit you showed is great for all weather kiddo hauling too!

Ah, good question!

Again, doesn't pertain to the thread, but happy to help!
Sorry! I do not get the difference between the HSD and GSD but hate creating unnecessary threads.
My immediate go-to add ons are:
Sidekick Widedeck
Lockstand Extensions
Hauler or Transporteur front rack
Captain's Chair or Clubhouse+

The Storm Shield kit you showed is great for all weather kiddo hauling too!
My friend in Brussels will be grateful! Thank you!

HSD and GSD pics, the HSD is a shortened version of the GSD. Single battery, less cargo capability, but smaller footprint overall.

Attachments

• GSD-G2-keyimage.jpg
    GSD-G2-keyimage.jpg
    493.2 KB · Views: 44
  • hsd-gen2-seabreeze.jpg
    hsd-gen2-seabreeze.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 39
Back